FLIGHTS cost AT XMAS FROM OZ TO UK (RETURN)

marie

hi all,

anyone come back to uk for xmas?

We are emigrating to oz in July, but planning to come home for a week at xmas.

Flights are around £2300 for 2 adults at the moment. Are flights likely to go up alot if I book closer to the time? as unsure of plans at the moment/jobs ect.

If you are moving to Oz in July just buy a return ticket - Just noticed you said you were going back for a week!!!! Never heard of anyone doing that. It is such a long flight you would be pretty done in doing it twice in one week. No way would I do that - sounds like a really bad idea.

Edited by dxboz

I did it for a week...I was not as done in as I thought I would be and although I hated doing The flights there n back so close together it was worth it n i only had a week to do it in so didn't have much choice ...i probably wouldn't do it again if I can help it but it's doable and enjoyable!

hi all,

anyone come back to uk for xmas?

We are emigrating to oz in July, but planning to come home for a week at xmas.

Flights are around £2300 for 2 adults at the moment. Are flights likely to go up alot if I book closer to the time? as unsure of plans at the moment/jobs ect.

Flights are more likely to go up than down. Booking early is genearly better than booking late during peak periods.

Hi. When I was still in the UK, I came to Sydney for Christmas to visit my mum.....I landed on Christmas Day as it was a few hundred pounds cheaper (I was a poor student at the time). The earlier you book your flights the cheaper it is on a long haul.....usually. :-)

i didn't really think of how tiring 2 flights in one week would be. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe will add a few more days /week to the trip.

I was just more concerned about visiting family over xmas with needing as little a time off work as possible really .

flight prices are so expensive at xmas. Maybe visiting in January or feb might be cheaper option if I can wait till then

i didn't really think of how tiring 2 flights in one week would be. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe will add a few more days /week to the trip.

I was just more concerned about visiting family over xmas with needing as little a time off work as possible really .

flight prices are so expensive at xmas. Maybe visiting in January or feb might be cheaper option if I can wait till then

Nov is a good time to fly. Just pretend. It'll still be cold and dark.

Nov is a good time to fly. Just pretend. It'll still be cold and dark.

And everywhere is Christmassy, markets, lights, pantos, Father Christmas in stores etc.

Jan/Feb is not the nicest time to visit the UK, the only up side is depending where you are in Australia you might welcome a break from the heat.

It does worry me that you are planning to visit so soon after migrating, are you likely to visit often?

The reason I say that is I agreed to migrate on the basis we would visit my parents every year (I'm an only child and although I didn't live near them in the UK we did see them Christmas, maybe have a holiday together, big birthdays etc.)

In reality spending half our annual leave and most of our spare cash on trips back made for a very boring life, we were used to traveling all over the world and after the first couple of years when it was all new I got pretty hacked off with taking holidays in WA.

It is just my experience and you may have really good reasons to go back the next Christmas but I would tend to say unless you are very well off and don't need to worry about taking leave from work then anyone who migrates wanting to visit often probably shouldn't migrate!

We emigrated in the month of July. I know (of) another forum member who moved same time as us and they went home for Christmas. I was actually a bit jealous that we couldn't make it that year due to leave entitlements, thought it would have been a nice thing to do, just to report back how we were getting on in person. That was all though, it wouldn't have been a regular thing going back every year at Christmas, not an expectation I would like to have set.

I would also go back pre Christmas or Christmas rather than January / February. Although those are my least favourite months in both countries!

The fare price hike for xmas is in late Nov and is a little early this year, we booked ours about 3 months ago but to leave in mid Nov returning Jan. Fares can still be high in Jan due to returning xmas travelers. I have noticed there are still some good deals around at present so maybe the airlines are having trouble filling planes, so try looking and booking asap. In general you need to keep an watch out for when the deals come out which cover you time frame, do not believe what travel agents may tell you, as my son paid some $900 more for a flight to UK with stopover in Thailand he was given a non standard route because the agent said that was all that was available for his timings at the time of booking, we booked some 4-5 weeks later when the deals came out.

And everywhere is Christmassy, markets, lights, pantos, Father Christmas in stores etc.

Jan/Feb is not the nicest time to visit the UK, the only up side is depending where you are in Australia you might welcome a break from the heat.

It does worry me that you are planning to visit so soon after migrating, are you likely to visit often?

The reason I say that is I agreed to migrate on the basis we would visit my parents every year (I'm an only child and although I didn't live near them in the UK we did see them Christmas, maybe have a holiday together, big birthdays etc.)

In reality spending half our annual leave and most of our spare cash on trips back made for a very boring life, we were used to traveling all over the world and after the first couple of years when it was all new I got pretty hacked off with taking holidays in WA.

It is just my experience and you may have really good reasons to go back the next Christmas but I would tend to say unless you are very well off and don't need to worry about taking leave from work then anyone who migrates wanting to visit often probably shouldn't migrate!

We go over every 12-18 months but combine it with other world wide holidays on the way around (an around the world flight can be cheaper, especially at xmas) and use up all my annual leave on those trips. I usually have to take compulsory annual leave of between 5 and 9 days at xmas, then most trips are taken at this time of year.

Also bear in mind that the Australian employers often do this weird thing with accruing holiday. So you don't start a job with four weeks holiday, then can take two weeks after being there only a couple of months. We found this when we came - the place my OH worked at shut down over Christmas, and as he'd only started in September he hadn't accrued enough holiday then so either had to have leave without pay or go into negative leave (which many employers don't allow), then play catch up for the next few months.

Vietnam Airlines are doing some cheap deals to the UK up to November with only one stop en route http://www.travelzoo.com/au/flights/-1055-up-8-Year-Low-Return-Flights-to-London-921-Off-2258271/?conf=1&cm=signedin&source=FBLon18&placement=&isFacebook=false&isgplus=undefined

i think that's a 'fair' price for Xmas, i paid $2,200 AUD with Korean Air last year, booking in July, and they were very good. 20hr stop on the way though (which may not be ideal for you), but you get a free hotel, dinner and breakfast. Also, try and get a flight where you arrive in the morning into the UK/AUS and then stay up all day, and you'll be ok.

i think that's a 'fair' price for Xmas, i paid $2,200 AUD with Korean Air last year, booking in July, and they were very good. 20hr stop on the way though (which may not be ideal for you), but you get a free hotel, dinner and breakfast. Also, try and get a flight where you arrive in the morning into the UK/AUS and then stay up all day, and you'll be ok.

Yep that's what we used to do when that was just about the only option on flights, though now we prefer an afternoon or evening landing then you get to that country's normal bed time sooner and do not have to force yourself to stay awake all day. Never suffered from jet lag doing either way.