Moving To Australia

Lorri

Hi

I am moving to Australia in June from Scotland with my daughter as I will be attending Bankstown for a year as a mature student. My original plans of somewhere to stay have gone up in the air and I don't know the area well, any hints/tips on finding somewhere to stay either a 1 or 2 bedroom in a not bad area.

Jobs, my daughter will be looking for a full time job and I will be looking for a part time job. Neither of us really know anyone out there and I have been looking at website after website trying to find somewhere

any help would be greatly appreciated

Lorri

Hi Lorri

Lots of our membere seem to recommend AirBnB for securing accommodation, so that may be worth a try. For furnished accommodation another popular site is Stayz, for unfurnished try Realestate,com but you will need to here to secure one on Realestate.

Cal x

You're already ahead of the game working/studying in Bankstown rather than closer to the CBD as you've got a much better chance of finding something affordable.

Your best bet is AirBnB as holiday accommodation is expensive in Sydney, and most of it is closer to the CBD or beaches anyway. Agents won't let you rent a flat without viewing it - and it would be a bad idea anyway, because the photos on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au can be very misleading!

Bankstown gets a bad rep but it's not a bad place to live really. I'm assuming you'll be on a tight budget if you're studying, so if you want to avoid buying a car, look at the suburbs on the train line to Bankstown. Some are a bit rough so be careful - I would look at Lidcombe, Belmore, Campsie, Canterbury, Hurlstone Park, Dulwich Hill - all are reasonably-priced suburbs by Sydney standards.

You mention you are studying and your daughter will be working full-time - I assume you're confident your visas are all in order to allow that?

Hi

Yeah all visa's have been granted and are in order for us to move over, we did have someone to stay with my longterm partner who has at the last minute had a change of heart and has let me down dramatically. I was due to be staying in campbeltown which is why I chose Bankstown to study. I am tight on budget until my daughter and I secure jobs. Thank you all so much for your help because I am completely lost, I don't know anyone apart from my ex partner and now in a position that I didn't expect to be in. If you don't mind me asking what is AirBnB and CBD?

Good luck Lorri. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks very much Jimbo :) still lookingo n Airbnb for temp accom so that I can then look at some rentals in areas close enough to bankstown..it's been stressful but hopefully I'll get there soon.