IELTS Academic Test - help!

Guest Bag End Bunch

Guest Bag End Bunch

I have to do the IELTS Academic test next Saturday! I can't get into a General test until November and my OH really wants to get the visa app in before then so he's booked me onto the Academic version in Portsmouth. Does anyone have any experience of doing this version? If I don't get the 25 points we can't go! I have got a degree and I'm a teacher (primary) so at least I'm in the world of education but somehow that isn't making me feel any more confident!

Would love to hear from anyone who's done this test.

Alex

Guest Bag End Bunch

There's nothing I really need to know - just wanted reassurance that it is possible! Although now I think about it - what was the subject for your writing paper? Did you practise? Are you in Oz now?

I think the reading and listening tests will be ok - it's the writing I'm most worried about. I'm assuming that the speaking will be a doddle as I am English! Maybe I'm wrong - any advice you have, based on your experience, would be appreciated.

Alex

the writing test wasn't too much really... i got a 9 (full marks) in that, and i'm not English. in the first part i had two pie charts to compare, whereas in the second part, i had an essay about the qualities i believe journalists should have.

stick to the given time, that's all i can suggest you to do. the first part you should spend about 20 mins, whereas the second part you should spend 40 mins on it.

• 1 month later...
Guest jigglyboobies

hey - i too am a teacher in petersfield and just filled out my visa application on line - which gets wiped in 28 days - only to find that im missing 5 points arrrgh - i will be going down to portsmouth too i guess - how was it?

steph

It doesn't get wiped in 28 days ! I know it says that but we kept ours on there for about 2 months before submitting it. Perhaps it was because we kept going back into it and saving minor mods ? that way its not doing nothing for 28 days anyway.

So don't worry it only says they "can" they didn't with ours.

I have to do the IELTS Academic test next Saturday! I can't get into a General test until November and my OH really wants to get the visa app in before then so he's booked me onto the Academic version in Portsmouth. Does anyone have any experience of doing this version? If I don't get the 25 points we can't go! I have got a degree and I'm a teacher (primary) so at least I'm in the world of education but somehow that isn't making me feel any more confident!

Would love to hear from anyone who's done this test.

Alex

Hi Alex

My husband did the general training back in October, but hopefully I can help a little. The difference between the two in the writing module is - in academic you are given a diagram or data which you will need to write about ( in the form of a graph or a table or chart). That is task 1 which requires 150 words. Task 2 requires you to write an essay of 250 words in response to a point of view, argument or problem. General training is a bit more day to day (write a letter to your landlord etc. complaining about your property...)

If you have a degree you will be familiar with the writing skills required to see you through. Spend 20 mins on task 1 and 40 mins on task 2. The most excellent piece of advice I can share is on Task 2 make sure you end your essay with a conclusion. My hubby got overall band 8.5 in general training, but it is all marked the same, it's just that with the writing task you will be required to demonstrate english proficiency to a level that would see you through undergraduate or postgrad studies. (which you can do easy!)

Hope I haven't babbled too much, but if you want to pm me I can give you some official academic IELTS practise questions from the books I bought to practise. And that's the other thing, PRACTISE! Be happy to help more if you need it. Good luck - you'll be fine I'm sure :jiggy:

Archived