Mascot or Wolli creek - any advice on which would better area?

mfarrell87

Hi all, we have just arrived in Sydney and are staying in Bondi Junction. We are looking at moving to either Mascot or Wolli Creek as husband has got work in Alexandria? We are a young couple not really into the party lifestyle so been super close to the city doesn't bother us. Can anyone give us some advise on either suburb?

Thanks

Geographically there's not much between the two, but I'd personally choose Mascot. Walking distance to Alexandria, lots of new apartments being built (as there is in Wolli Creek as well), a few nice pubs in the area and should be possible to walk or cycle to work for your husband. There's quite a lot going on in the Mascot / Alexandria / Rosebery type areas, I really like it - a bit industrial still but interesting at the same time with lots of small/indie type businesses popping up. If you're into shopping, Alexandria is a big area for factory outlets! Depending on where you end up, the rail line(s) shouldn't be too far away either.

Check the flight path though. Someone I work with says it's not too bad, but a few streets across from her is really noisy (this is in Mascot itself). I saved this link ages ago:- https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zKMXRFKrFd7g.kkbkkbIDE2Lo

Thanks guys, really like the feel of mascot...we also visited Zetland and it's really nice too...but think we are going to have trouble in securing a place...one agent said that she wanted a copy of our bank statement showing the total in it....like hello!!

The agent wants to know you can pay the rent, and if you don't have anything to show proof of a job, then you need to show proof of savings instead. They don't use credit ratings like they do in the UK.

Areas of Mascot are surprisingly quiet, it's a case of picking the right spot. More chance of finding a small house - Wolli Creek is virtually all blocks of flats. If you can afford a bit more, take a look at Kingsford or even Randwick.