Life in Melbourne

TravellingKatherine

It is strange that your Canadian friend found it colder and that you have more thermals than in the UK, how and why!!!!

KnK

I too found that odd. I guess it has to do with the poor quality housing. The old art deco buildings are great in the summer, as very cool but in winter they feel like ice boxes. The newer build I am in at present, say built last 20 or 30 years not as bad in the winter but you do feel the cold. Some days I go outside and it feels warmer than indoors.

A lot of the older places do not have any heating either, the newer builds do usually have ducted heating but that really dries the air so tend not to run it over night. Not sure about the new units being built, but reading some of the flyers that are left in my mail box, they appear to be more energy efficient and come with double glazing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too found that odd. I guess it has to do with the poor quality housing. The old art deco buildings are great in the summer, as very cool but in winter they feel like ice boxes. The newer build I am in at present, say built last 20 or 30 years not as bad in the winter but you do feel the cold. Some days I go outside and it feels warmer than indoors.

We're renting in a brand new building and it's been freezing - as you say, some days it's actually colder indoors than outside. Except when the sun is shining, when it gets very hot very quickly.

I'm surprised they're allowed to build a new block of flats with so little in the way of insulation.

We're renting in a brand new building and it's been freezing - as you say, some days it's actually colder indoors than outside. Except when the sun is shining, when it gets very hot very quickly.

I'm surprised they're allowed to build a new block of flats with so little in the way of insulation.

Agreed. One apartment block I lived in, block of 6, my unit right between the 5 and could hear all the neighbours from going to the toilet, chopping vegetables in the kitchen many other things!

You mean just like a typical new build out here in the UK??? :biglaugh:

Actually no. The one thing I liked about Southampton was our flat there. It was so cosy even on the coldest day. In fact when we first moved in I got caught out several times, sauntering out on a bright spring day in a cardigan because I assumed it was as warm outside as it was in the flat! Very little noise transmission too. Built by Crest Nicholson, so I assume they must be one of the good builders?