How long will I need to obtain a drivers licence in NSW?

daffodilly

Hi all,

I need some guidance on obtaining a license in NSW. Here is the problem, I am a Singaporean and never bothered to learn to drive due to the high tax on cars and roads in Singapore ( just a small car can cost around $100,000 and only valid for 10 years here ).

How long will I need to obtain a licence and buy a car? Any idea on how much will it cost? What is cheaper in Sydney, driving or public transport?

That's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions - you pass the test to get a learner's permit, you have lessons, you take a test to say that you are competent - could take weeks, months or years, all depending on how competent you prove to be. Actually, if you're just going to live in Sydney I wouldn't bother, it's just like any other huge city with clogged roads, expensive parking etc etc.

Go to a reputable driving school and they'll be able to help you, intensive lessons will be good. As for cost of a car vs public transport, thats also dependant on my factors, but I would suspect public transport will be considerably cheaper. The public transport in Sydney is excellent in my opinion.

Go to a reputable driving school and they'll be able to help you, intensive lessons will be good. As for cost of a car vs public transport, thats also dependant on my factors, but I would suspect public transport will be considerably cheaper. The public transport in Sydney is excellent in my opinion.

Good to know that the public transport is excellent. Thank you very much!

I'll be working around Northern Beaches, not too sure yet how bad is the parking and commuting there

You can't just pass your test in NSW depending on your age you may need to prove you've driven a certain amount of hours before you can progress from your L plates to your P plates and only when you get your P plates can you drive unsupervised. The fulls details are on the RMS website. If you are going to be central I wouldn't bother especially if there is only one of you its not the easiest process!

You can't just pass your test in NSW depending on your age you may need to prove you've driven a certain amount of hours before you can progress from your L plates to your P plates and only when you get your P plates can you drive unsupervised. The fulls details are on the RMS website. If you are going to be central I wouldn't bother especially if there is only one of you its not the easiest process!

Really? Thanks for that, I'll check that out. I am in my late 30s with kids under 10, my husband drives and will convert his licence. I haven't checked out on where to rent yet but definitely steering clear of central/crowded places.

Edited by SSDR