Queensland vs. NSW

Wooba

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so apologies if it's not.

What are the advantages of living in QLD over NSW or NSW over QLD?

Hypothetically, if you had a job right on the border of the 2 and you could pick between living in one state over the other, which would you pick to live in and why? Assume that your commute and the quality of your home/neighbourhood is identical on either side of the border.

If you are on the built up coastal fringe then neither as you would have the best of both the coast and interland each have to offer for you to enjoy nearby, though the Qld side is the more developed area. Further inland could well be a different story but I know little of them.

PS. Qld is really the best place to be:cool:

If your living in one an working in the other ,it could be a pain when daylight saving kicks in as QLD don't do it. Id actually be quite happy living either side of the QLD/NSW border so would probably just look at property in both and go for what suited my family best.

Cal x

The time zone, that's a good one. What I'm trying to get at here is not which place do you prefer or which feels better, but what are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other on paper. Little things like, the tax rate is higher/lower, insurance is cheaper/more expensive, one has more services than the other, etc.

The time zone, that's a good one. What I'm trying to get at here is not which place do you prefer or which feels better, but what are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other on paper. Little things like, the tax rate is higher/lower, insurance is cheaper/more expensive, one has more services than the other, etc.

Not much to choose between the two on those things really, swings and roundabouts is the term. Being a Queenslander or a New South Welshman is not a little thing so will stay away from that one hey!

I could think of various QLD versus NSW arguments if you meant in general. But if you are literally working on the border and potentially looking at places a very short distance apart, then I cannot think why it would matter. You probably wouldn't even notice when you pass from one to another.

But daylight saving is one consideration, perhaps stamp duty although I expect that on the border this has been naturally factored into prices over the years anyway. So just find a place you like. Insurance will not change because you cross a state line, taxes are federal and an area either has services or it doesn't.

I could think of various QLD versus NSW arguments if you meant in general. But if you are literally working on the border and potentially looking at places a very short distance apart, then I cannot think why it would matter. You probably wouldn't even notice when you pass from one to another.

But daylight saving is one consideration, perhaps stamp duty although I expect that on the border this has been naturally factored into prices over the years anyway. So just find a place you like. Insurance will not change because you cross a state line, taxes are federal and an area either has services or it doesn't.

The truth is, your first sentence is exactly what I'm looking for. The reason I phrased the question the way I did is because I wanted to avoid people giving their personal opinions on why they like one better over the other, I'm just looking for facts, not opinions.

As for stamp duty, can you please explain what that is? I've read it mentioned many times but I have no idea what it is.

I work in the medical field (chronic/terminal illness). Services in QLD are not as comprehensive as NSW. If I have patients on the border it can be frustrating to know that just 10km down the coast certain things would be available to them that aren't covered in QLD - such as certain equipment that is funded in NSW but not in QLD. Bit of a random addition to your post I know... but its one that affects my working life and that of my patients.

As for stamp duty, can you please explain what that is? I've read it mentioned many times but I have no idea what it is.

A tax on financial transactions. It is one of the few avenues for state governments to raise their own revenue, most of their money is collected federally and distributed to them

As a result it varies widely between states. Typical areas where it is applied are on house purchases, car purchases, share purchases. Stamp duty on house sales is quite a significant sum. Eg median house price in Sydney is $1m or so, stamp duty on this would be $41K

State governments also set different rates for things like fines, car registration and the other things for which they are responsible, but these are generally much less significant