Reassurance please :)

Jon

Hello

Me and my girlfriend have had our WHV accepted and flights booked for January 2017.

I am am looking for some reassurance that what I'm doing is not the worse life decision I'm going to make ha.

I will be 23 when we go and in an decent job on a power station but I will be quitting it all and going for 2 years travelling mainly based in Australia (I know WHV only grants one year at first regional work is needed etc).

I really can not wait to go the excitement of travelling and seeing things is brilliant I have never done anything like this before and feel like it's a good thing to do whilst I'm still young and able but I can't help but think in the back of my mind is it going to screw me career wise for the rest of my life will I get a job like this again with the same money or will I have to come home and start all over again. In a nut shell what I am really after is someone to tell me to stop worrying and go out there and have a good time !

Is there anyone that has done anything similar like this before and have any tips

also we are currently looking at some places to go and see whilst in Australia we are into walking and looking at any suggestions of nice national parks /coastal walks?

Thank you all for your help :)

Edited by LuckyJ

You are 23 many people have not done a days work at that age, you will not be screwing up your career though it may go in a different direction.

Seize the day!

Regional work can be hard to find so get that done first if u can.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ye I have been working since 16 basically so I am ready for my gap year if I can call it that ha :). Finished my apprenticeship NVQ HNC HND so I won't come home without any certs behind me.

i used to be very career minded but after a family grievance I have had a different outlook and though F it and get out there !

Hello

Me and my girlfriend have had our WHV accepted and flights booked for January 2017.

I am am looking for some reassurance that what I'm doing is not the worse life decision I'm going to make ha.

I will be 23 when we go and in an decent job on a power station but I will be quitting it all and going for 2 years travelling mainly based in Australia (I know WHV only grants one year at first regional work is needed etc).

I really can not wait to go the excitement of travelling and seeing things is brilliant I have never done anything like this before and feel like it's a good thing to do whilst I'm still young and able but I can't help but think in the back of my mind is it going to screw me career wise for the rest of my life will I get a job like this again with the same money or will I have to come home and start all over again. In a nut shell what I am really after is someone to tell me to stop worrying and go out there and have a good time !

Is there anyone that has done anything similar like this before and have any tips

also we are currently looking at some places to go and see whilst in Australia we are into walking and looking at any suggestions of nice national parks /coastal walks?

Thank you all for your help :)

When I was 23, relatively new graduate and working towards a professional qualification. It definitely would have upset my career track had I taken time out to travel the world. A bit later on, I came across CVs of 20-somethings that thought employers might be impressed by their travels but in reality, I don't know anyone that was impressed. Slogging it at professional exams is much harder than traveling the world and so I think you have to work harder to prove yourself when you get back.

But do you know what, you have forty years to do that. It quite surely and definitely is achievable and you are far too young to worry about permanent damage to your CV and your career. It is such a cliche but you do only live once.

When I was 23, relatively new graduate and working towards a professional qualification. It definitely would have upset my career track had I taken time out to travel the world. A bit later on, I came across CVs of 20-somethings that thought employers might be impressed by their travels but in reality, I don't know anyone that was impressed. Slogging it at professional exams is much harder than traveling the world and so I think you have to work harder to prove yourself when you get back.

But do you know what, you have forty years to do that. It quite surely and definitely is achievable and you are far too young to worry about permanent damage to your CV and your career. It is such a cliche but you do only live once.

It probably depend on the field but I would always employ a 23 year old graduate who had traveled for two years than one who had spent the two years doing professional qualifications. Well qualified academics are 10 a penny, someone who is able to travel the world on their own has far more to offer.

As that 23 year old I felt completely differently though - I went straight into my career whilst friends traveled and was a senior social worker before some friends had even started work - 23 years later I have long since changed career (IT now) but have never had the opportunity to travel to that extent (a mortgage and marriage quickly followed my first employment).

Reading about Stacey's travels and with my Aussie passport languishing in a drawer I am tempted to do it when my some leaves school!!

Although I was only in it for 6 months I quit a job that I loved to come here. I wondered if I'd regret it but I haven't although I miss it. You're Still young so plenty time to pick things back up. Give Australia a go. :)

you tell 'em, granny!

you tell 'em, granny!

yep mummy and daddy are still here ( if you still have parents)to fall back on.you have nothing to lose. If worst comes to the worst you will stay even, go for it ,enjoy it ,then remenice of the good memories you are sure to make here.because you certainly won't fondly remember the days behind a desk, like you would the memories of adventure/exploring.

Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate them they are all thoughts that I have had myself but they mean a lot more when I know someone else is thinking the same about it ! I suppose no matter what I will do I will inevitably end up saying what if but I'm sure it will be more satisfying saying what if with 2 years worth of memories from travelling Australia and various other places !

Thanks again guys !

I did a similar thing. You'll be fine, go get some life experience that most never even dream of. We move in a month, but even the job I've just quite, one thing that they asked me about in my interview was about my travelling experiences. People are curious and it shows resolve and determination and that you will take a chance etc.

Best set thing I did, only problem I didn't stop, other than to have kids, and now they are coming with me.

Youll have ate a great time.

The year goes so quickly. My mum and gran were crying when I left and now they say they can't believe I'll be home in November or December. They probably wish I was staying another year :laugh:

If you have any other travel questions or anything then give me a shout

• 3 months later...

My boyfriend and I have also decided to do a Working Visa from January 2017...

I have landed myself in an absolutely brilliant carer with exceptional money but I am only 21 years old and I AM BORED!

I am extremely scared to even consider handing my notice in and my parents aren't happy about my decision either which really doesn't help....

I have my best friend currently travelling in Australia and she has told me its the best decision she has ever made and is never returning to the UK!

I feel like I also need constant reassurance that I'm making the best decision..

Who knows

I too was in the same boat as a couple of you guys... got my degree in IT, and instead of going down the grad scheme route I decided to travel.

Loved every single minute, came home as I had a great job opportunity - now I'm earning heaps of money, doing my dream job.. but I felt like there's something missing... So I've gained the work experience I needed in order to apply for a permenant residency visa - and had it granted back in April.. I'm emmigrating to Aus in January!

The WHV was the best thing I could have done, and I don't regret a second of it! Travelling taught me so much, not only about the world, but about myself..

In my experience job opportunities will always come around & your careers not going anywhere.. Go for it! :)

I've also got some farming contacts in coffs harbour, so if you decide to go down the 2whv route and will be around that area feel free to give me a message :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ye I have been working since 16 basically so I am ready for my gap year if I can call it that ha :). Finished my apprenticeship NVQ HNC HND so I won't come home without any certs behind me.

i used to be very career minded but after a family grievance I have had a different outlook and though F it and get out there !

You'll be fine and your personal growth will be immeasurable.

Best of luck to you both!

B

Go, go, go, go. Wish I had done it at 23, life isn't a dress rehearsal it's there for the taking your only young still and will be excellent experience for you. Who knows it may be the best decision you ever made. I'm 32 now and going through the process of a 189 visa. Wish would have done it when was younger, but wouldn't be in the situation I'm now in. Own a house, married and as well as you a good job. I wouldn't worry about your job here if your good at it you won't have a problem finding work should you ever come back. Take the bull by the horns save all you can and enjoy every min your out there. Good luck pal

• 1 month later...

Hello guys quick update. First of all thank you for all your messages they really did help much appreciated. I told my work and they took it brilliantly as I expected but was always nervous. They have wished me the best of luck and to go for it ! Roll on January excitement has kicked in now I've got that weight off my shoulders !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wicked well done mate, bet you can't wait, it's gonna be a long 4 months now lol. Where you starting off at.

We are travelling to Sydney first to see some of my girlfriends family and then from there... Who knows ! Probably look at getting our farm work done after we've had a month or two settling in

I too was in the same boat as a couple of you guys... got my degree in IT, and instead of going down the grad scheme route I decided to travel.

Loved every single minute, came home as I had a great job opportunity - now I'm earning heaps of money, doing my dream job.. but I felt like there's something missing... So I've gained the work experience I needed in order to apply for a permenant residency visa - and had it granted back in April.. I'm emmigrating to Aus in January!

The WHV was the best thing I could have done, and I don't regret a second of it! Travelling taught me so much, not only about the world, but about myself..

In my experience job opportunities will always come around & your careers not going anywhere.. Go for it! :)

I've also got some farming contacts in coffs harbour, so if you decide to go down the 2whv route and will be around that area feel free to give me a message :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the comment it has helped knowing different people's experiences as at first you feel like you're the first who's doing this type of thing. When in reality so many have done it before !

Could you message me the contact details for the Coffs Harbour farming as that would help so much for our second WHV. Thank you again !