What to expect from winter weather?

trabonita

For the first few years I was here I wore summer clothes all year. Couldn't understand why people were going about all rugged up, but I suppose it was because I had come from Scotland and anything over 14 is considered a heat wave. After many years I still don't much like the heat but I do sometimes complain that it's freezing.

Hi

We will be arriving on the Central Coast end of July. Could someone tell me what kind of weather temps we can expect this time of year please? I'm wondering if I should hang on to the children's winter clothes!

Many thanks!

It was July when I arrived in Sydney, I had not brought a coat with me and ended up buying one within a week. I don't think you need to pack the full winter wardrobe but I think a coat is a good idea and you willl want a few full sleeve tops and full length trousers etc. I only ever wore a coat in July or August although in my last year there I manahed the whole season without getting the coat out.

Edited by Bungo

As above. You will need some warm clothes but nothing like back home. A good sunny day in winter will get to 20C, a cold one might not break much over 10C, which if it's windy as well will feel quite cold

Winter can be quite settled so there are quite a lot of sunny days. The thing most new migrants get caught out by is temperatures inside houses in the evenings. The milder climate means there was less imperative for people to fit double glazing or any form of central heating, so a lot of houses can get pretty cold inside, which you notice if you are sitting around doing not much at night (like watching TV). You'll need slippers, inside jumpers etc much more than you'll need lots of cold weather outdoor clothing

Single glazing is very much the norm, and heating is usually either plug in electric heaters or portable gas ones (many houses have bayonet gas points for these), or (increasingly) reverse cycle aircon. A few houses have woodburners or similar. Hydronic heating (the hot water central heating you're probably used to) very very rare

I think that one of the most surprising things for me was just how cold it can get inside the houses. It can be a beautiful winters day, warm in the sunshine and okay for short sleeves, but cold inside. Both of the houses that we have lived in here (south of Sydney) and also the house we stayed in on the Central Coast when we came on our reccie visit (at Forresters Beach) were built on a concrete slab which I think is pretty common. At about this time of year the slab seems to start to cool down, which makes the house cold, particularly underfoot. We have a wood burning stove here which helps, but in the other house we lived in we didn't have any heating at all, and I used to have to take the kids to the shopping centre every afternoon for a warm up! Of course much of it depends on how the house you live in is built and how badly you cope with the cold. I'd definitely recommend bringing winter clothes though. You might feel cold having come from the UK summer.

Edited by LKC

ok so warm clothes for indoors not out :wink:. Thanks everyone.

Hmmmm. I wouldn't go that far. You do need some warm clothes for outside too and a coat. Often it can be very cold in the morning but warms up during the day too.

I've never been so cold as when we lived on the central coast. More inside the house than outside. We would sit watching tele with a rug, ugg boots, hoodie etc. Houses are really cold in oz and going for a shower is hell lol. We had loads of covers on the bed as well! It reminded me of when I was a kid when our house had no central heating brrrr. Bring all your winter clothes, you probably won't wear a coat but you'll need layers and I'd recommend thermals to keep you warm inside the house!

During the days it's quite nice but sharp 4 pm it cools down rapidly and you definitely will need a jumper, coat etc. and the mornings are bloody cold.

In our 'old' unit the single-glazed windows were completely fogged and you couldn't look out! I've never came across with so much water on the windows and my cloths to dry them were completely saturated with water.

In Australia the building 'standard' produces door cracks (at all 4 sides of the doors, especially entrance door) my imagination wasn't good enough for!

Never walked on extremely cold wooden floors before in life because foundation had cracks and after rainfalls we had a mouldy smell in the air.

Luckily we now live in our own new house but survived under these conditions for 4 winters with portable oil heater and split aircon.

I never wear socks in summer time and it's always hard to readjust to socks + boots in winter as my feet didn't like it after so many months. I think that's why you see 'Aussies' with thongs (=flip flops) in winter walking in a coat or winter jacket + long trousers.