One way travel insurance

Patphillips47

Looking for one way to cover our travel back to Oz as we have a couple of days in Singapore and want to cover for all eventualities !

We had travel cover on our bank account with Lloyds but we have just changed the account as we are moving back to Oz permanently so that fascility is no longer an option

Never quite figured what it was you are insuring against with one way insurance? Seems a nice earner for the underwriters?

We had a bag snatch in Malaysia only time we have ever claimed

but I am thinking loss of luggage , ours has followed a couple of times between Heathrow and Newcastle !

We are a it older too and hubby slow on his feet because of arthritis God forbid he fall on any trip but we need the reassurance of having some cover

I became unwell in Hawaii, only an infected eardrum, but wasn't allowed to fly, but all the costs added together was unreal, that one claim will more than pay for travel insurance for the rest of my life many times over, had a hard time convincing work that we had to stay on in Hawaii for a few days due to medical reasons though :laugh:

It could end up costing $$$$$ if you were hospitalised say in Singapore

But I think, not once have I been hospitalised in my 40+ years. Therefore Likelihood = V. Low ; Impact = Potentially V. High ; Risk = Likelihood x Impact = Medium, which I'm prepared to accept. Therefore not buying insurance.

I simply would never risk having no insurance to me it's worth every penny for peace of mind

My hubby has had 4 hip replacements and the slightest trip could be disaster

Delayed or missed flights the hotel costs alone pay the insurance costs

Justin Case is my best friend most of the time

I simply would never risk having no insurance to me it's worth every penny for peace of mind

My hubby has had 4 hip replacements and the slightest trip could be disaster

Delayed or missed flights the hotel costs alone pay the insurance costs

Justin Case is my best friend most of the time

Quite agree Pat. I think maybe it's an age thing but we wouldn't travel without it either. to give an example - I lost a filling on Monday evening, great big hole in my back tooth couldn't wait till I went home end of May so I found myself a nice Greek dentist in Sydney ... 340$. Could have been a lot worse too - avoided root canal by a whisker apparently.

Don't get me wrong, on return trips to somewhere i'd generally get travel insurance. Just never considered it for one way trip.

It's still a trip even if it's one way and pardon the pun but if my hubby tripped even transiting in Dubai aiport and not having a stop over then goodness knows what the costs would be

When my bag was snatched in Malaysia believe me I am ultra cautious but it was so quick I lost cash ,not a huge amount a brand new phone plus other sundry contents and a credit and edit card The claim costs was far more than the actual insurance costs

We always use STA and used them for one way travel insurance when we flew over. Baggage, travel, medical, all covered. Think it was about £70 for the 3 of us all up. No hassles, no fuss, just went into a local branch and took the policy out. Normally we'd do it online but the one way stuff they like done in person for some reason.

I was really keen to get one way travel insurance but when I looked around I couldn't find anyone who offered a product that properly covered me and wouldn't repatriate me to target destination (UK) when I returned to UK in March. I understand concerns re; medical issues (we stopped over in Singapore) but in the end had to travel without insurance as due to the fact that I wasn't technically a resident of any country, no-one would have paid out in the event of a claim.

I was really keen to get one way travel insurance but when I looked around I couldn't find anyone who offered a product that properly covered me and wouldn't repatriate me to target destination (UK) when I returned to UK in March. I understand concerns re; medical issues (we stopped over in Singapore) but in the end had to travel without insurance as due to the fact that I wasn't technically a resident of any country, no-one would have paid out in the event of a claim.

I will shop around over the phone as technically we are the same at the moment we are UK residents but we are going back to Oz to take up residency there

Oh dear whilst talking about all of this we just had a call from our friend in Oz who was about to leave for the aiport to travel to the UK

His Dad passed away 30 minutes before he was due to leave home ( he was elderly and had been sick for a while ) but it just reiterates you never know what's around that next corner

It could end up costing $$$$$ if you were hospitalised say in Singapore

Singapore came up in a recent survey as the most expensive place to need medical/hospital treatment.

Can you pay for your flights on a credit card and get automatic health cover

We've got an annual travel insurance - is there any reason why it won't cover us for a one-way trip back to Oz?
The only problem would be if you need to be repatriated, say for medical reasons, the insurance would only send you back to the U.K rather than on to Australia.

Singapore came up in a recent survey as the most expensive place to need medical/hospital treatment.

Can you pay for your flights on a credit card and get automatic health cover

No because we have just cancelled out Premium account with Lloyds that we had travel insurance on and our Lloyds MasterCard doesn't give that cover

Our Aussie Citibank credit card does give travel insurance cover if you use it for flights but the cover is limited in that the journey booked has to start and end in Australia

In some ways we are in Limbo on this journey as we are giving up UK residency to take up Australian residency

Confucsious he say springs to mind