Where to go in QLD in August?

jkm10

hi, I'm coming to oz for 8days in August. I'm flying to/from Brisbane and ideally don't want to take another internal flight/long trip whilst I'm there. I plan on spending the 1st 4 days in Brisbane, and the last day before I fly home. That leaves me with 3 days and I'm not really sure where to go - any ideas? I've already been to Gold Coast twice and would like to see somewhere new. thanks jess

If you don't want to fly and are not into theme parks on the Gold Coast maybe Sunshine coast-Noosa is lovely. I would go to a theme park if it were me and I'd never been, though. Seaworld? Or even Hartleys crocodile farm, that is a good outing too. If you are coming from the UK you will feel hot anyway and be able to swim. We can, even from Melbourne- great to see all those woosie Queenslanders draw breath when we jump into the sea/pools!

• 4 weeks later...
Thank You, any recommendations of places to stay in Noosa? x

two areas to stay - Hastings st, ( for the beach and nice restaurants or gympie terrace - noosaville - for the inlet-estuary .....august is low season - so try to deal direct with the place rather than web sites......for 3 nights you should get a good deal......... before noosa you could consider mooloolaba - again try to deal direct with places to get best rates....if you want a swim in the sea - noosa would be good all the time, and if you really want to pack it in do a day trip up to fraser island with one of the tour 4x4 buses...

• 1 month later...

If you have access to a car and head Noosa way , maybe stay up that way a few days .You could check out , bribie island , glass house mountains ,Australia zoo,Mooloolaba ,Marleny , markets at eumundi. Sunshine Coast hinterlands is nice , Buderim state forest has nice waterfalls and walks. Beachs around Noosa are worth the trip. Fraser Island is good too. Just had family over and did most of these things, they loved it.

Edited by Ausborn

Cannot believe people suggest beaches in SE Queensland in August. It's middle of winter ffs and dark before 6pm. Might be a bit like UK in May (so nice for hiking/riding/sightseeing) but who goes to the beach in May in UK? Only a couple of hours on the plane to Cairns which should be warm enough for the beach and easy stop off to see the Great Barrier Reef. Check out the internet for average daytime max temps in August and nighttime minimums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You see loads of people on the beach in August on the sunny coast, probably from colder climes, definitely sunbathing perhaps not so many swimming, but I remember swimming in pretty cold water/weather in Cornwall in August and surviving!

If staying in apartments then the swimming pools are heated and daytime temperatures are very pleasant for a good few hours.

As a local we laugh gently at visitors as we are wearing trousers and perhaps a fleece, while visitors walk around in swimwear.

Loods to do here, as mentioned in other posts if you should find it too cold to be on the beach.

Don't get me wrong because I love the climate here but we came for our recce in August 2014 and arrived 12 months later. Daytime highs were fairly similar to the UK (high teens, low 20s) but morning, evening and night temperatures feel cold (often below 10C) compared with England in August so you need to make sure that your holiday accommodation has adequate heating and blankets ...... and pack jumpers etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk