Whats the weather like in WA in July/Aug?

Richard01

Hi everyone

We are thinking on a long hol around July/August time

Whats the weather like? I can see typical temperatures and rainfall figs which look a bit doomy, but from a practical point of view, is it still shorts and T-shirt type weather or is that time of year too unreliable to depend on good enough weather to still do outdoor type stuff?

Richard

We have folk coming out from Europe to stay exactly during those months. Attempted to discourage them but to no avail. Being school holidays over there and all that time proves the best option.

From past experience these are the most difficult months to keep people entertained. Most beach/water borne things are off, or at least dulled. It can be wet and colder than many from abroad may expect. Certainly far removed from the best time of year.

Hi everyone

We are thinking on a long hol around July/August time

Whats the weather like? I can see typical temperatures and rainfall figs which look a bit doomy, but from a practical point of view, is it still shorts and T-shirt type weather or is that time of year too unreliable to depend on good enough weather to still do outdoor type stuff?

Richard

Well depends what you want to do outdoors but as said earlier Spring even Autumn type weather so don't expect to go the beach, starts warming up October/November.

By WA do you mean Perth?

If so, the weather will not be good. I had visitors in September 2009 I think.....it was the wettest Sept on record, they spent most of the holiday indoors or at shopping centres. July is the coldest month.

I advise guests to avoid June through to Sept. October to May is the time to come.

Of course you can have gorgeous sunny days around 18-20d throughout Winter, the nights will then be freezing cold. Otherwise it will be rainy and cooler 16-18 usually and/or cloudy. Good walking weather in winter though as long as the rain stays off.

Certainly not shorts and t shirt weather really.......

On the plus side though I expect you can do stuff like whale watching and winery visits and 'Christmas in July' type stuff. It sounds like WA winter climate is fairly similar to SA - so it's a good time to visit the centre and outback, I expect you can do that from WA too!

We visited WA a few years back from May to July and it was lovely, we were in shorts and t.shirts every day and spent many days on the beach. It was better weather than back in the UK's summer. We did have some rain and storms and it did cool at night but compared to what we experience here it was lovely.

Weathers one of those things, it will be what it will be, but I don't think it will spoil your trip, we're heading over June to August and can't wait ... Have fun

It can be better in some ways than a very poor UK summer but far from guaranteed. It can be equally bleak and little really going on for a tourist.

We have certainly been swimming at the beach in Mid August with Swiss visitors. There would have been from memory about seven people besides us in the sea at Cottesloe Beach, all visitors by the sounds as I recall. This should not probably be taken as the norm though. As mentioned it can be darn miserable during those months if a tourist.

Although as for wearing shorts I can easily get through the entire year without problems, although of course tend to conform when not at home and wear usual clothing for the time of year.

The OP could certainly go North, but would need to travel to at least Exmouth, and likely beyond to hit hot weather. Broome is on the boil at this time of year but expensive to boot.