Whats your views on Mandurah?

Richard01

Baldivis is a new development really and growing weekly. My opinion only is that it is a series of huge housing estates that melt into each other. The plot sizes are generally quite small. There is one retail centre with quite a good number of shops. A couple of bars and restaurants. No trains but a bus service to Warnbro train station. You defo need a car. I doubt whether there are many jobs in the area. Don't know about the schools. As it is a bit more inland it is several degrees warmer in the summer.

Mandurah is nice to visit for the day, but I seriously wouldn't want to live in a lot of the grottier suburbs which suffer badly from crime, drugs and unemployment. Like everywhere else there are nice areas though. Generally the older suburbs have larger plots but the some of the houses are pretty run down. Particularly the older rentals. The canals are lovely but pricey. Nice estuary for boating. I couldn't comment on the schools. There is a direct train line to Perth for City workers.

Baldivis is a new development really and growing weekly. My opinion only is that it is a series of huge housing estates that melt into each other. The plot sizes are generally quite small. There is one retail centre with quite a good number of shops. A couple of bars and restaurants. No trains but a bus service to Warnbro train station. You defo need a car. I doubt whether there are many jobs in the area. Don't know about the schools. As it is a bit more inland it is several degrees warmer in the summer.

Mandurah is nice to visit for the day, but I seriously wouldn't want to live in a lot of the grottier suburbs which suffer badly from crime, drugs and unemployment. Like everywhere else there are nice areas though. Generally the older suburbs have larger plots but the some of the houses are pretty run down. Particularly the older rentals. The canals are lovely but pricey. Nice estuary for boating. I couldn't comment on the schools. There is a direct train line to Perth for City workers.

i wouldn't want to live in Manudurah but if you are looking for a nicer part to live in try Rockingham and the beach side suburbs there. My order of preference.. Shoalwater, safety bay, Waikiki, port Kennedy and then port Kennedy and Rockingham city its self. Again has its bogan element but slightly nicer than Manudurah.

Definitely the Bogan element to consider with Rockingham. But it would be my pick if between Baldivis (cookie cutter country) or Mandurah. A number of canal side houses are foreign owned according to someone in the know down there, hence a number are devoid of life for large parts of the year. I find it rather false and one should under estimate the social problems in what may on the surface look like squeaky clean Mandurah. It is a centre for high unemployment and issues associated.

A day would be enough for me on the odd occasion.

I don't completely agree with you flag of convenience. There are lots of great, family orientated suburbs in Mandurah. There's more to Mandurah than the canal properties. It has its rough areas to and you'll soon find them out. I am under the impression Rockingham has a poorer reputation but it's bigger.

As someone that has actually lived in Mandurah for 8 years, I would say I am pretty well qualified to comment on Mandurah far better than people who have never lived there.

Yes, there are some rougher areas. But, the vast majority of the city is very good.

I have never come across areas that are mainly owned by foreign investors, including canal areas. Far from it.

You can get issues in any area. Friends of ours moved to Cottesloe and after being mugged twice in the first 6 months moved to Peppi Grove. Less than a month of being there they were woken one Sunday morning by lots of noise outside. It seems the house next door was being used as a crack den and a punter had OD'd. A month after that, they had a similar Sunday morning from a house opposite which it seems was operating as a brothel and a working girl had been murdered by a punter.

The majority of suburbs in Mandurah are fine. Ours was fairly typical with the majority of people being professionals. There is / was a lot of families with at least one person working fifo- perfect place for miners as you don't need to commute everyday so can live in a nice beach area for a fraction of the beach areas around Perth.

Even a a lot of the rougher looking areas like Falcon as mainly housing nice people. A good friend has bought a little place there after living with parents in the western suburbs and loves it.

As someone that has actually lived in Mandurah for 8 years, I would say I am pretty well qualified to comment on Mandurah far better than people who have never lived there.

Yes, there are some rougher areas. But, the vast majority of the city is very good.

I have never come across areas that are mainly owned by foreign investors, including canal areas. Far from it.

You can get issues in any area. Friends of ours moved to Cottesloe and after being mugged twice in the first 6 months moved to Peppi Grove. Less than a month of being there they were woken one Sunday morning by lots of noise outside. It seems the house next door was being used as a crack den and a punter had OD'd. A month after that, they had a similar Sunday morning from a house opposite which it seems was operating as a brothel and a working girl had been murdered by a punter.

The majority of suburbs in Mandurah are fine. Ours was fairly typical with the majority of people being professionals. There is / was a lot of families with at least one person working fifo- perfect place for miners as you don't need to commute everyday so can live in a nice beach area for a fraction of the beach areas around Perth.

Even a a lot of the rougher looking areas like Falcon as mainly housing nice people. A good friend has bought a little place there after living with parents in the western suburbs and loves it.

A good sensible post about Mandurah. It is simply lovely there and I have a few Aussie friends who live on the canals.

Mandurah is nice - it's heavily populated by Brits. On my recent visits there, all the accents I heard were our own!

Lots of retirees.

If you want a decent job then you'd need to commute to Perth. which is easy now that the train is connected, which could also drive up prices a little.

You'd be nearer to Margaret River, Busstleton, etc which is a lovely area, for weekend trips!

To be honest, prices in Perth are going down a bit at the moment due to the economy slowing - and there are a lot of bargains to be had... Look at inner city suburb areas such as North Perth where prices have taken a tumble. Plus you'd be much closer to all the action.

Mandurah is nice - it's heavily populated by Brits. On my recent visits there, all the accents I heard were our own!

Lots of retirees.

If you want a decent job then you'd need to commute to Perth. which is easy now that the train is connected, which could also drive up prices a little.

You'd be nearer to Margaret River, Busstleton, etc which is a lovely area, for weekend trips!

To be honest, prices in Perth are going down a bit at the moment due to the economy slowing - and there are a lot of bargains to be had... Look at inner city suburb areas such as North Perth where prices have taken a tumble. Plus you'd be much closer to all the action.

The Brits are very much all in one or two suburbs. In 8 years in our suburb we only met one other British family.

The he train line is excellent and being at the end of the line means you are assured a seat.

Prices have fallen all across WA so Mandurah is now even better value. None of the central Perth suburbs are in most people's budgets - certainly not in beach side areas.

Lots of retirees.

I detect a strong resistance to the lowering of prices in inner city localities. I do look at quite a few and get fed by agents their most recent realises. If anything I'm amazed how prices remain stacked up. Rents have certainly falling in this area though.

I don't detect Brit's as heavily populating the Peel Region. No doubt a number of day tourists but a simple look at the stats will show the number being far less than British enclaves of old like Rockingham. Although Brit's through nature of their emigration remain the main source of foreign born in the vast majority, (though in decline) of WA locations.

Just browsed at UK born population in Mandurah and they form over 10% of the population there. (that is Mandurah itself and not the entire, rather spread out locality) Rather more substantial than I anticipated so an obvious presence.

It could be worth noting the police warning about the appalling rise in crime in the region. I suspect it may depend on which locality one lives as to this issue. Still looks nice enough Lakeside for a visit. I'm sure the life style there would suite a number of people, providing they have work and live in a better suburb.

The Brits are very much all in one or two suburbs. In 8 years in our suburb we only met one other British family.

The he train line is excellent and being at the end of the line means you are assured a seat.

Prices have fallen all across WA so Mandurah is now even better value. None of the central Perth suburbs are in most people's budgets - certainly not in beach side areas.

In fairness Stormy I know a few British families in your old suburb! There's a definite British presence. Most of the kids that I teach can identify a parent or grandparent who come from the UK as well, I was a bit surprised by the proportion at the time. Mandurah like WA seems to have an evolving population based on work (mines) Poms, Kiwi's and Aussies all move around following work. That British percentage of the population of Mandurah could increase or decrease dependent on work opportunities I guess?

• 10 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 20:15, VERYSTORMY said:

Out of sheer curiousity (noseyness!) what are the two suburbs populated by Brits in your opinion?