Mobile phones in Oz

Helen

Hi, I'm moving to Perth in 2 weeks, and just wondered whether I can take my current mobile phone, an iPhone 5s and pay to get a sim-only contract down under. Are there any foreseeable difficulties with this? Does the phone need to be unlocked especially?

Thanks, Helen

If it is locked to a UK provider because you bought it on contact with them then yes it will need to be unlocked - easiest if you get that done before you leave (there's usually a "little man in the market" who will do it for a tenner or check with your provider and see if they will unlock it for free. Otherwise, sim only, no worries Just check the coverage maps for where you will be before you fork out for any provider in particular.

Hi, I'm moving to Perth in 2 weeks, and just wondered whether I can take my current mobile phone, an iPhone 5s and pay to get a sim-only contract down under. Are there any foreseeable difficulties with this? Does the phone need to be unlocked especially?

Thanks, Helen

For an iPhone it will need to be done by the manufacturer. You can get this done in the market as the above post says, but as soon as you want to upgrade to the newest IOS then it will lock again.

Best way is to contact your current service provider and they can do it for you.

I just got an iPhone 6 unlocked by EE for £8.99 (a lot cheaper than the bloke on the market actually!) took about 4 or 5 days to come through and was very easy to do.

There are many tariffs and providers in Aus. I used Optus, only because the shop was right in front of me as I walked out of the arrivals hall at Brisbane airport. The prepay package is pretty good and if you are a heavy data user then you can get 500MB per day for $2 a day, plus free calls and texts. I think that's pretty good, but there's a lot out there so shop around.

• 2 months later...