Strange Places to see in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

It's a known fact that Australia is a large country and its diverse landscape continues to attract visitors year on year - beaches, islands, deserts, unique animals, reefs, rainforests and bustling cities. Australia, along its down to earth locals - is like no where else on this planet! Don't believe us? Read on... here is a list of Australia's Top 10 Strange and Spooky places that are well worth a visit!1. The PinnaclesOne hour north of Perth lies the Western Australian Nambung Desert. As you walk across the yellow sand, you will soon spot the kilometre wide collection of large, eerie limestone rock formations – resembling what can often be described as, ‘Life on Mars.’The aboriginal owners of the land claim that the rocks represent the vast number of locals that historically died in the desert’s quick sand. The formations now serve as a warning to locals to steer clear of the creepy desert! If brave enough, you can walk throughout the Pinnacles Desert – not only do the limestone rocks provide a sight that cannot be seen anywhere else in the world, the shadows cast by these rocks at sunset provide some pretty spectacular photo opportunities!pinnacles_australia.jpg2. Umpherston SinkholeThe Umpherston sinkhole is located in Mt Gambier, South Australia. It was once a cave, which collapsed in the 1800s. Today, it is a lush green garden hidden beneath the earth’s surface.sinkhole_australia.jpg3. Pink LakeA few hours north of Perth on the Western Australian coastal drive, you will come across the strange pink waters of the Port Gregory Pink Lake. The lake’s algae and salt concentration causes the waters to turn a bright pink! TIP: There is actually a Pink Lake in Melbourne that has recently developed. The lake sits underneath the Western Gate Bridge and the best way to get there is by car or bike from Melbourne CBD. pink_lake_australia.jpg4. The Devils MarblesThis eerie outback destination is said to be the oldest religious site in the world! The Devil’s Marbles are strange, circular, stacked rocks that can be found in the desert halfway between Alice Springs and Darwin. Known as Karlu Karlu by the lands traditional Aboriginal owners, the large, round granite rocks are scattered across a large valley – many of them ‘balancing’ upon one another.devils_marbles_australia.jpg5. The underground town of Coober PedyAs you drive north of Adelaide towards Alice Springs, you will come across a strange stretch of red desert – home to an underground mining town and 80% of Australia’s opals.Coober Pedy was established following WWI by returning Australian soldiers looking for the chance to make it big in the midst of the mining revolution. Whilst working in extreme heat, the soldiers soon realised that living underground would ward off most of the heat. Hostels, hotels, the local church, museum and restaurants are located underground!coober_pedy_australia.jpg6. Wolfe Creek CraterWe’ve all seen the movie and we’ve all struggled to sleep! Wolfe Creek is one of the most ‘obvious’ or ‘distinct’ crater holes in the world. Located in the Western Australian outback, the crater was created by a meteorite and discovered from space in the 1940s.wolfe_creek_australia_2.jpg7. Daly Waters PubWant to experience the real outback? A beer with the Daly Water’s locals is a must do! To really experience the ‘vastness’ of the Australian landscape – a visit to an outback pub is essential.Daly Waters Pub is decorated in travelling memorandum – urging all visitors to leave a little something behind – ID cards are stuck to the walls, international flags hang from the ceiling, bras and underwear dangle from the roof, a colourful Flip Flop Tree serves as the outdoor centrepiece and international coins and notes line the bar. Keen for a few beers? Spend the night in one of the pub’s tin cabins!daly_waters_pub_australia.jpg8. NimbinOne of Australia’s first hippie communities can be found in the rainforest hinterland just west of Byron Bay. During the 1960s counter culture movement, a music and arts festival brought students, hippies & artists to Nimbin. The festival came to an end, but many of those that had attended agreed to stay on in Nimbin and form communes and a self sufficient community. The town today is home to a quirky population, rainbow flags, colourful arts and crafts stores and its very own hemp museum.nimbin_australia.jpg9. Wycliffe WellThis tiny town claims to be the UFO Capital of Australia. As you arrive into Wycliffe Well, you will be welcomed by two large alien statues. This town is located in the middle of no where - adding to the strange like atmosphere! The locals will tell you that UFO sightings have been a regular occurrence since the town’s establishment following WWII.wycliffe_well_australia.jpg10. Port Arthur Ghost TownPort Arthur, a historical convict settlement located near Hobart, Tasmania, is spooky by day, let alone by night. In 1833, the town became a prison to Britain’s hardest criminals. Today, Port Arthur is a World Heritage Listed site that claims to be the most haunted destination in Australia. Torture cells, prison buildings, an onsite hospital, asylum and town centre line the river and offer tales of suicide, mistreatment and horror stories. Ghost Tours are offered at sunset!

I just saw this and some of these places look stunning, it makes me want to travel more and more when i see pics like this..

'Australia is the flattest continent on Earth. So pretty dull right?'

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/australia-is-flat-and-boring?bffb&utm_term=.ugMzG89El&utm_content=bufferb7a00&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.bp4zky8eA

I just saw this and some of these places look stunning, it makes me want to travel more and more when i see pics like this..

'Australia is the flattest continent on Earth. So pretty dull right?'

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/australia-is-flat-and-boring?bffb&utm_term=.ugMzG89El&utm_content=bufferb7a00&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.bp4zky8eA

those places look brilliant. it will take more than one life time to see all oz has to offer.

I almost went to the pinnacles when I was last in Perth, wish I had. Really want to see the pink lake too

Seen both. Pinnacles are good but not worth the drive unless going further north imo (unless you just want a run out and lunch etc) Pink lake we only saw from the road while going up to Kalbarri. Pretty cool.

Guest The Pom Queen
Knowing my luck I'll go a time that it's not pink, I think I read it's only half the year. I definitely want to do a good chunk of the west coast, I think I'll like it better than East

You could do the blue lake at Mary Kathleen

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think you'd like Kalbarri Stacey, we've only been once really need to go again. Maybe next Autumn.

yeah jake was telling me about some of the West coast and I think I'd like most of it. I think places like the kimberlies look beautiful even though there's not much there. Just totally different to the east. There's some beautiful places over this side too though, I love the blue mountains

Guest The Pom Queen

For the Kimberlies ask @Bobj he is an excellent tour guide, we loved our trip there. I could have spent 6 months easy around Kununurra and the Ord River.

Take a look here

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Also the natural phenomenon Horizontal Falls

image.jpeg

The Horizontal Falls or Horizontal Waterfalls (nicknamed the "Horries") is the name given to a natural phenomenon on the coast of the Kimberley region in Western Australia.

Despite their name, the Horizontal Falls are a fast-moving tidal flow through two narrow, closely aligned gorges of the McLarty Range, located in Talbot Bay. The direction of the flow reverses with each change of tide. As tides in the Kimberley can reach 10 m (33 ft), a peak tide gives rise to a significant difference in the sea level on either side of each gorge.

image.jpeg

Seen both. Pinnacles are good but not worth the drive unless going further north imo (unless you just want a run out and lunch etc) Pink lake we only saw from the road while going up to Kalbarri. Pretty cool.

Completely agree on both counts!! Have to say though if you're passing the pink lake then you have to go past the turn off for Hutt River Province, now that has to be a strange place to visit! Haven't been yet but it's on my list for my next trip to Kalbarrri. They applied to secede from the OZ government, the OZ government thought they were a joke, didn't take them seriously, laughed it off and missed all pertinent deadlines resulting in a successful secession and Hutt River Province is now a principality!! You can get your passport stamped or you can even apply for citizenship and get a Hutt River passport,p which is actually recognised in a few countries! You do have to sign an undertaking thought that you cannot emigrate there and settle ha ha!! Apparently if you visit you get to meet King Leonard and Queen Shirley and by all accounts they are lovely. We're off to Kalbarri next summer and its number 1 on my list to do xxx

Completely agree on both counts!! Have to say though if you're passing the pink lake then you have to go past the turn off for Hutt River Province, now that has to be a strange place to visit! Haven't been yet but it's on my list for my next trip to Kalbarrri. They applied to secede from the OZ government, the OZ government thought they were a joke, didn't take them seriously, laughed it off and missed all pertinent deadlines resulting in a successful secession and Hutt River Province is now a principality!! You can get your passport stamped or you can even apply for citizenship and get a Hutt River passport,p which is actually recognised in a few countries! You do have to sign an undertaking thought that you cannot emigrate there and settle ha ha!! Apparently if you visit you get to meet King Leonard and Queen Shirley and by all accounts they are lovely. We're off to Kalbarri next summer and its number 1 on my list to do xxx

Yep got my photo with them and was even daft enough to exchange a few AUD for Hutt River tender!

....and watched the 'princes' shear a few sheep!

Edited by Bound4Tassie

For the Kimberlies ask @Bobj he is an excellent tour guide, we loved our trip there. I could have spent 6 months easy around Kununurra and the Ord River.

Take a look here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33078[/ATTACH]

And he only charges a few red jelly babies...

Cheers, Bobj.

The bungle bungles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33080[/ATTACH]

Absolutely loved the Bungle Bungles and did a helicopter flight over them.

A bit of advice for anyone touring the Kimberlys, we did the cruise from Broom to Darwin and were on the whole very dissapointed as there was a neap tide so hardly any water flowing over the Horizontal falls, an absolute anti climax! So check what the tides will be before you book. Scenery is stunning though, and enjoyed seeing the Aboriginal rock art.

Loved the Katherine Gorge, really recommend the evening dinner cruise.o

been lucky to have the time to travel around Australia, other highlights were Lightening Ridge, and flown over Lake Ayr sadly not much water and stayed in Birdsville.

Were en route from Birdsville to (sorry can't remember) on a dirt road, came across a motor cyclist lying in the middle of the road wrapped in a silver blanket, we were travelling in a small group in a mini bus. Luckily a retired Dr. With us. He had broken several bones.

Radiod the Flying Dr. then drove 1 1/2 hours to the nearest homestead, with him on board.

Very humbling to see the amazing Flying Dr. aircraft land, make him comfortable, the men helped lift the stretcher on board and off it flew.

Bought home what a wonderful job they do.

Until you travel around this amazing country it is almost impossible to take the size on board and the distances between places.

Edited by ramot

Guest The Pom Queen
I'll meet you in WA in June or July Bobj, I'll bring you loads of jelly babies as payment lol

Lol he will jump at the chance, as this old woman here keeps standing him up :cry: not intentionally just need my health to get right