Central coast commuting

Matthand20

there are a number of recent discussions on this subject - look under the forum/section you just posted in, and there will be 2-3 already.

General consensus is: for less than 5 days a week or for a fixed time period - yes. Indefinitely - no.

Edited by vickyplum

You could probably do it, but I don't think it would be pleasant long term. Have you looked at Sutherland Shire, Helensburgh and Wollongong instead? We live in Sutherland Shire which is within Sydney but a bit cheaper in terms of rent/housing costs. There is plenty of work available for a good electrician, I would have thought. Other options are Helensburgh and Wollongong. More of a commute, but even more affordable and up and coming areas in their own right.

Is it feasible to live on the central coast but work in Sydney? Thanks

Depends what you mean by Central Coast - it's quite a big area. Umina Beach seems to be popular with Brits and it takes just over an hour to commute from there by train. Go further north and the commute gets longer, obviously.

Take a look at the train timetable to work out what's feasible.

http://www.sydneytrains.info/timetables/timetables_by_line.htm?line=nc#landingPoint

Commuting by car is totally impractical.

Edited by Marisawright

Commuting by car is totally impractical.

...but probably necessary for an electrician

There are loads of coasties piling down the M1 at 6.00 every morning, so plenty do it. Especially tradies.

It does depend on where in Sydney you might find work of course and for an electrician work could be anywhere rather than just the CBD. Get a long term gig in Hornsby or thereabouts and the commute would be a piece of cake. OTOH, have to go south of the harbour and it would be impossible

We live around 50 minutes drive (or probably 2 hours drive in rush hour) from the CBD, and I know quite a few tradies in our area work in the city. Our plumber for instance, who lives around the corner, comes to us as 7am if we need him, just before he heads off into the city.

For 9-5 jobs, a lot of people live well outside the city and commute, especially on the trains. We see people from the upper blue mountains commuting, and certainly from where we are. I'm almost certain its the same case in the Central Coast, and also in the other direction towards Wollongong.

My mum's neighbour commutes from Toukley to Sydney every day; she's in publishing so is able to do a fair bit of work on the train. A while back there was an article in the local rag about a bloke who commuted from Gosford to Sydney on a jetski as it was quicker than the train...

My mum's neighbour commutes from Toukley to Sydney every day; she's in publishing so is able to do a fair bit of work on the train. A while back there was an article in the local rag about a bloke who commuted from Gosford to Sydney on a jetski as it was quicker than the train...

I reckon Toukley and the surrounding suburbs are set to rocket in status and value - bit of a well-kept secret IMO.

BB

I've done some investigating into this. Having been up to the Central Coast I'd say it's a great place (although still need to be selective about the genital area) - but for me it seemed like the commute was going to be between 70-120 mins each way on the train. We liked Avoca. It's lovely, like Avalon or those kind of places, but more chilled, and with less of the Sydney 'rules' and people beeping their horns.

If it helps, for context, I a designer and animator, and typically work around the The CBD area. This varies, and for me has meant working in Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, The Inner West Balmain/Lilyfield Annandale) and also in Willoughby at Channel 9. Most of these places aren't that reachable on public transport easily. there will be a train, then a 15 -25 minute walk. (or can take a pushbike on the train).

We like the Central Coast , and would like to move there, but the commute seemed a bit hellish so we put that idea on ice for now (we are confused now and don't really know what we need to do next!)

I think Sydney just suffers from being a big city, and many of the big roads get congested - The big highways. The area around Wahroonga gets pretty piled up. But that's the way it is I think. I think it's probably a bit like that all over Australia, as the majority of the population are clustered around capital cities. If you want to get about it might mean some queuing, and that's that. Bit the whole area North of Sydney and to the north West is pretty big, and hopefully you could get work in these areas. If you think you could make it work, then i'd look into it. Try and connect with others in your line of work and see how they make it work.

There's a fella on here @Rallyman who I think has been gradually moving further north and who might know more in that kind of work area. He might have some 1st hand information for you.

hope this helps.

I've done some investigating into this. Having been up to the Central Coast I'd say it's a great place (although still need to be selective about the "general area") - but for me it seemed like the commute was going to be between 70-120 mins each way on the train. We liked Avoca. It's lovely, like Avalon or those kind of places, but more chilled, and with less of the Sydney 'rules' and people beeping their horns.

If it helps, for context, I a designer and animator, and typically work around the The CBD area. This varies, and for me has meant working in Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, The Inner West Balmain/Lilyfield Annandale) and also in Willoughby at Channel 9. Most of these places aren't that reachable on public transport easily. there will be a train, then a 15 -25 minute walk. (or can take a pushbike on the train).

We like the Central Coast , and would like to move there, but the commute seemed a bit hellish so we put that idea on ice for now (we are confused now and don't really know what we need to do next!)

I think Sydney just suffers from being a big city, and many of the big roads get congested - The big highways. The area around Wahroonga gets pretty piled up. But that's the way it is I think. I think it's probably a bit like that all over Australia, as the majority of the population are clustered around capital cities. If you want to get about it might mean some queuing, and that's that. Bit the whole area North of Sydney and to the north West is pretty big, and hopefully you could get work in these areas. If you think you could make it work, then i'd look into it. Try and connect with others in your line of work and see how they make it work.

There's a fella on here @Rallyman who I think has been gradually moving further north and who might know more in that kind of work area. He might have some 1st hand information for you.

hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

My other half use to commute from central coast to Alexandria in Sydney. He worked 6am to 6pm use to leave at 4.30 in the morning and get home at 7.30pm. Thankfully working 12 hour shifts he only had to do it three times a week. But even that was very tiring. Put loads of kilometres on the car and costly on fuel. After 6 years of the commute he took voluntary redundancy. Traffic in north sydney was always a nightmare coming home. Wouldn't recommend it but loads of people do the commute. We eventually moved from the central coast to the mid north coast.

The choo choo from Newcastle to Sydney is a very scenic journey, unfortunately it is at the pace of a snail. You should be able to write a novel on the way.

• 1 month later...

I commute from Point Clare every day to Burwood on the train it's fine, no worse than going from the South Coast to London. I get the 6:18 and am at work with a cup of tea by 7:35. Home by 6:20 every night. Take a book or a tablet and it's surprising how quickly the time goes. Sometime I have to go to the other office so get to Central about 8ish.

Edited by SussexBear

Was working in Mosman last friday, left home (Pokolbin) at 4.45am and pulled up at the job site at 6.50am having put my foot down to do it in this time scale, the trip home was a total night mare and i know why i moved out of sydney left site at 3.45 pm got home at 6.37

this was a one off for me these days as i honestly dont think you could keep that up for a long period of time , the standard of driving on M1 is a lot to be desired at the best of times.

If you are going to work in sydney i think you are best to be living down there.