Car Advice

newjez

I drive a Hyundai i10 - it's nearly a year old.

Driving home a couple of nights ago, I heard a strange noise, then a bang, then the sound of the tyres driving over something.

The car seemed fine. I was on the A27, nearly nighttime in heavy rain and spray.

I wasn't sure if I had hit something or something had fallen off the car.

A warning light did wink at me, but it was so fast I couldn't see what it was.

I proceeded at a reduced speed to the next town, pulled over in a safe spot and inspected the car. All seemed well, and I couldn't see anything wrong.

Kept driving and everything seemed okay. The light on the dash did wink a couple more times, and I kept my eye on it and saw it was a battery indicator. I also discovered that we had lost the heating. Continued on the A27 to worthing.

About halfway to worthing someone flashed me, and I thought it looked smokey behind me. (Dark now and heavy rain). I slowed and moved into the left lane where it was now apparent that the engine was smoking. Pulled over at my first opportunity and exited the car. I thought it was going to go up, but it calmed down to didn't call fire. Called AA.

AA man said the pulley flywheel for the water pump had broken off.

Towed to dealer where they say it now needs a new engine. They are putting in a warranty claim. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and where do I stand?

No temperature warning on the dash?

If they say it needs an engine then you get a new engine.

Just make sure you don't elaborate too much about driving on after the initial "incident". They could claim that driving on was contributory to the new engine requirement rather than just fixing a pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

No temperature warning on the dash?

If they say it needs an engine then you get a new engine.

Just make sure you don't elaborate too much about driving on after the initial "incident". They could claim that driving on was contributory to the new engine requirement rather than just fixing a pulley.

Driving in the dark in heavy rain, my attention was on the road. There is a temp gauge on the dash, but it doesn't exactly jump out at you. No orange warning lights other than the battery indicator which winked a couple of times. It was about four miles from the failure to when I pulled over.

So you had a catastrophic engine failure with no warnings then. Probably confirmed by the dealer when they checked the system with the electronic diagnostic checker. Hence the new engine diagnosis.

Hopefully your new engine lasts a bit longer. [emoji1303][emoji3]

Make sure you get a courtesy car in the interim!

Edited by Suzukiscottie