Shipping Experiences

agm

Hi everyone

I'm at the stage where I need to start comparing shipping companies to transport all our stuff (no furniture) from the UK to Sydney.

I have just had one quote - which I think is way, way too high (and surmounts the value of the items being taken anyway).

What are your experiences? Any company recommendations or things we should bear in mind?

Thanks in advance for your help.

agm

Have you looked at sevenseasworldwide.com ? They do move cube in three sizes and is a very cost effective and time efficient option. A lot of people including me have used it and I have not seen a negative feedback. Good luck.

PS: Your travels are impressive.

Edited by bqjt

Oh, okay. What's the issue with getting the shipping company's insurance? Why Letton Percival in particular?

Often if there is a claim made the shipping company insurance can really drag their heels on payment. An impartial insurer tends to be far easier to resolve any issues and claims with.

Letton Percival get good feedback fwiw.

Have you looked at sevenseasworldwide.com ? They do move cube in three sizes and is a very cost effective and time efficient option. A lot of people including me have used it and I have not seen a negative feedback. Good luck.

PS: Your travels are impressive.

Never even knew they existed! Thanks for the heads up! I will look them up now. I am currently getting quotes from Pickfords & AngloPacific. Pickford seems expensive, AP wants to weigh up my belongings with a visit from one of their 'sales managers' which already is feeling like a bit of a faff.

PS: Thanks!

Oh, okay. What's the issue with getting the shipping company's insurance? Why Letton Percival in particular?

It's cheaper to go with someone other than the shipping company's insurance. We insured with Letton Percival and paid an awful lot less than the shipping company wanted for superior cover. That, and like Snifter says, if something does happen to your stuff you will get a much better service and quicker payout from a seperate insurer.

It's cheaper to go with someone other than the shipping company's insurance. We insured with Letton Percival and paid an awful lot less than the shipping company wanted for superior cover. That, and like Snifter says, if something does happen to your stuff you will get a much better service and quicker payout from a seperate insurer.

That's really useful to know - thanks.

Often if there is a claim made the shipping company insurance can really drag their heels on payment. An impartial insurer tends to be far easier to resolve any issues and claims with.

Letton Percival get good feedback fwiw.

That's good to know. I think we'll definitely be getting separate insurance. Thanks

Never even knew they existed! Thanks for the heads up! I will look them up now. I am currently getting quotes from Pickfords & AngloPacific. Pickford seems expensive, AP wants to weigh up my belongings with a visit from one of their 'sales managers' which already is feeling like a bit of a faff.

PS: Thanks!

I had a quote based on my estimates then had the sales guy come to the house to double check - quote dropped by over 500 GBP so maybe worth getting someone out to view

Hello everyone

We often get asked how we are able to offer much more competitive quotations than the removal companies, so we have put together an article to explain some of the reasons:

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/blog/overseas-removals-insurance/6-myths-about-emigration-insurance/

At the moment, for shipments to Sydney we offer a rate of 1.30% + IPT which compares very favourably with the removal companies. Our Scheme provides new for old cover as standard, mould and mildew and electrical and mechanical derangement cover included at no additional premium.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me through this forum or info@lettonpercival.co.uk and I will be pleased to help.

Kind regards,

Ian

• 7 months later...
That's good to know. I think we'll definitely be getting separate insurance. Thanks

Hi agm,

just came across your thread and wondering what you did in the end and how things worked out for you? We are in a process of sorting out insurance for our container and deciding between PSS and letton.

Would be great to hear if you went with Letton in the end and what were they like?

Many thanks,Eva

Hi agm,

just came across your thread and wondering what you did in the end and how things worked out for you? We are in a process of sorting out insurance for our container and deciding between PSS and letton.

Would be great to hear if you went with Letton in the end and what were they like?

Many thanks,Eva

Have a good read through old shipping threads where people have had something go wrong and have had to claim on the insurance. In the years I have been reading these forums generally the people who have the worst experience are those that have insured with the shipping company. Those that insure through someone else seem to have a much smoother claim process. That and the fact that the seperate companies are much cheaper than going through your shipping company is why most of us recommend using someone like Letton Percival. We did although we did not have to claim, but they were much cheaper than our shipping company's insurance.

Have a good read through old shipping threads where people have had something go wrong and have had to claim on the insurance. In the years I have been reading these forums generally the people who have the worst experience are those that have insured with the shipping company. Those that insure through someone else seem to have a much smoother claim process. That and the fact that the seperate companies are much cheaper than going through your shipping company is why most of us recommend using someone like Letton Percival. We did although we did not have to claim, but they were much cheaper than our shipping company's insurance.

Ok, thanks Nic, after reading few posts I am definitely inclined to go with separate insurance company( not only because the cost is more appealing). But what worries me is that if we dont go with PSS insurance, they will not take as good care when packing/handling/loading our stuff as in case of a claim they have no responsibility. But maybe I am just being naive and the packers do the "same quality" job no matter if you are insured with them or not ...

@huske we moved January this year, with AP but insured with Letton Percival , had to claim, we had so many days to advise what we where claiming then had to upload pics with a month I think.. Pay out easily without any hassle tbh x remember to insure and take into account xs on policy. We forgot about that and we had under insured our cabinets...

@huske we moved January this year, with AP but insured with Letton Percival , had to claim, we had so many days to advise what we where claiming then had to upload pics with a month I think.. Pay out easily without any hassle tbh x remember to insure and take into account xs on policy. We forgot about that and we had under insured our cabinets...

@lp77 thanks for your reply :) Sorry I don't want to sound silly, but what do you mean by "xs on policy"?

Thanks!

Hi agm,

Many thanks,Eva

Hi there Eva

I went with LP in the and and my Anglo Pacific shipment arrived a couple of weeks ago (5 weeks door to door - not bad). One rather expensive item was broken and am in the process of claiming on the LP insurance for it. I'll let you know if they pay up!

Hi there Eva

I went with LP in the and and my Anglo Pacific shipment arrived a couple of weeks ago (5 weeks door to door - not bad). One rather expensive item was broken and am in the process of claiming on the LP insurance for it. I'll let you know if they pay up!

Ok, that would be interesting to know how you got on with your claim! We have to arrange the insurance in next couple of days, but after reading few of the posts, I think we will go with LP. Fingers crossed we will have a smooth ride and not have to claim at the end of it... But better be prepared :)