Discovery Park Winnellie or Hotel closer to CBD?

jodipodi

Hi hoping someone who knows what they're talking about can help...

Hubby is going to Darwin for a length of time next month. .. We have searched for low cost accommodation and have whittled it down to a self catering caravan in a holiday Park Winnellie which is a little way from the CBD...or a hotel closer to the CBD which is actually about $400 a month more expensive....

We are debating which is going to be better all round so if anyone can help that'd be great!

Caravan has microwave, meaning ability to cook some meals at least, fridge, TV, WiFi, pool but not near CBD.

Hotel has less favourable cooking facilities which are communal kitchen , a little more comfortable probably than being in a van, closer to CBD but obviously more expensive.

...........it's been a while since I was in Darwin....

..........but a thought if choosing the park option ....is travelling into the cbd...!

..........the heat in a van....!

...........although a communal kitchen isn't always ideal....

...........might be a way to meet others....

...........just a thought.....and bump...lol...

...........hopefully someone from Darwin will have more constructive advice......

Oh yeah....it's just for a month for now until he knows exactly what he's doing.... Think I'm just trying to get an idea of whether it's better to stay in the CBD for the extra cost or if it's just quite as easy to jump on a bus from this holiday site?

Hoping someone might know.... I just wish I knew if it was isolated or pretty much on a main bus route iyswim? Xx

from Discovery Parks, 11 Farrell Crescent, Winnellie NT 0820

to Darwin NT

[*=center]
    [*=center]
    [*=center]

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,rhD3dQuYpN1XQEf14VR2ntoS8Y05VAHEg0A-uxKUn7BQwOBxIFHHSpCmtahfTEAu4e9dBb7Kw0QHwhakTulpMdvMzLtMiXlttt6Vlctu-bmQHnV6sUxdMVqybUUFRh4-A-VMyQF7UEnz5pBYdM0c6jA,BVZ-W_FTBUwCHqt8uoYYxl6R7t46JQnwT3-axIIr8AEuyh7w_mX3--P5DH_1pJ6aLtN_yplPgm3JPvx9oTL5OPVJz2GDjHHcVBM2yd25qqrdZdruvLp4BCpbrmuU8T4E_zFIfmIxmV12G-8oPKrC_jUEn-x_tBrUfLfv56by95Yavt7I73Bpzo98aopjcaDX8lkEAJ3SoO-EWqmY6OENzFjjmYmz8kUAcKNDHeGKTe96zJSg1_xuYFlY9Riidv_4rJIuWKsQ4qnqsxJi1iJ-s6hmj3e4Qkk8IvRs6BoDwDZ3P0e_2aCtnDekl3wl5R3N5tKVCyJdzbZpqqfwfHZnQjlo94ohc-w24EEyH0APEgJNicZ1mOr1ZjzfuzgXBpZ5CoKxgJ4-szm6Bbio1PMj3nH3y2hnI-iPL4_vnVi_zP8I0bc?scale=1&h=140&w=736

14 min (10.1 km) via National Highway 1

54 m

8.7 km

850 m

450 m

14 min (10.1 km) via National Highway 1 and Tiger Brennan Dr

............does this help.....?

.........sorry didn't work......but doesn't look far in a car......

........will try and find out about buses....

Edited by Tink

It's a long time since I lived in Darwin, and I haven't visited for a long time either, but from memory there is a bus stop outside that caravan park so he would be able to catch a bus into the CBD. It would take around 60 mins to walk in but if he isn't used to hot and humid weather I wouldn't recommend that.

If I was in his shoes I would opt for the caravan park in order to save money. Preparing his own meals will save heaps of cash and he won't have to worry about leaving food in a shared fridge etc. If he doesn't like the caravan or if the aircon doesn't keep him cool enough he could always move to the more expensive accommodation.

As far as meeting people goes he might actually find the caravan park more useful for meeting locals than the hotel.

The only other thing is that the caravan park is fairly close to the airport. I don't know how bad the noise might be but as mentioned earlier if it doesn't suit him he could always move elsewhere after trying it out.

It's all getting very real now isn't it :smile: Wishing you both the very best of luck.

Edited by Freckleface

How far is it to the CBD from the caravan park? Google maps tells me its roughly a 10-12 minute car drive in non rush hour traffic. Push bike its half an hour or so. Weigh up the options to get to the CBD or wherever it is he may be working.

TBH a single person can always move around with ease. I'd probably take the cheaper option to begin with but that is me. Chances are he could find a house share or some such if he wanted once there. Also consider the security aspect in both places, as in his stuff being pinched. Neither are ideal for a longer term option in that respect IMHO.

Hi Winnellie isn't far from the CBD, on the Stuart highway main road in/out of CBD...an easy commute. Lots of people get the bus into the CBD from Palmerston which is further away. Darwin is actually quite small in terms of capital cities and easy to get around. From the $ point of view and seeing as it's just your husband for now, I'd save the cash and go with the caravan. If it doesn't suit him, can always re think once he gets there.

Awwwww THANK YOU ALL so much!!!!

We were edging more to the caravan over the hotel but I was dubious in case I was just blinkered with it being a lot cheaper!

You've helped convince me it's the right decision, that's brilliant thanks a lot!!!

Fingers crossed he gets work as soon as possible and can afford something slightly better.....

I agree about the cooking facilities I think it'll be much better if it's in his own space.... Anyone use those bench top halogen ovens?....are they cheap enough in oz?

It's a long time since I lived in Darwin, and I haven't visited for a long time either, but from memory there is a bus stop outside that caravan park so he would be able to catch a bus into the CBD. It would take around 60 mins to walk in but if he isn't used to hot and humid weather I wouldn't recommend that.

If I was in his shoes I would opt for the caravan park in order to save money. Preparing his own meals will save heaps of cash and he won't have to worry about leaving food in a shared fridge etc. If he doesn't like the caravan or if the aircon doesn't keep him cool enough he could always move to the more expensive accommodation.

As far as meeting people goes he might actually find the caravan park more useful for meeting locals than the hotel.

The only other thing is that the caravan park is fairly close to the airport. I don't know how bad the noise might be but as mentioned earlier if it doesn't suit him he could always move elsewhere after trying it out.

It's all getting very real now isn't it :smile: Wishing you both the very best of luck.

Thanks Freckles.... Yes it's getting very real.....it's exciting though, I'm just wishing and hoping he finds work.... Even if he finds some volunteering opportunities within the Aboriginal Youth sector I think that would be fantastic for him... and them in a way because he's so passionate about Youth work.

It'll give him a whole other insight into a different way of life and how it impacts on the young'uns.

I just hope he has a fab time whatever happens. .. It's a life experience isn't it xxx

Awwwww THANK YOU ALL so much!!!!

We were edging more to the caravan over the hotel but I was dubious in case I was just blinkered with it being a lot cheaper!

You've helped convince me it's the right decision, that's brilliant thanks a lot!!!

Fingers crossed he gets work as soon as possible and can afford something slightly better.....

I agree about the cooking facilities I think it'll be much better if it's in his own space.... Anyone use those bench top halogen ovens?....are they cheap enough in oz?[/quote

Power costs should be included in the caravan rent?

It's all electric in Darwin, no mains gas supply (despite there now being a big gas plant facility)!