Driving Licence before settling

mgreaves

I am after a bit of advice regarding getting an Australian driving licence and not sure due to the differing state rules.

Our current plan is to fly in to Sydney in June to activate our visa, drop some stuff off which friends and then fly back out a week later to South East Asia to travel for 3 months (ish). We will then return to Australia and plan to travel around for 6-9 months (money permitting) before deciding where we actually want to live and work. I am currently looking in to driving around Australia as part of this travelling and this has got me trying to figure out what to do about a licence.

Looking on the NSW website you need proof of address to get a licence, it does mention a reference can be used in place of this, but I am not sure what to do and when due to our timings.

Would it be best to apply as soon as we arrive for a NSW driving licence even if that is not the state we plan to end up in, using our friends over there to write some form of reference so we can get a licence without an address?

I assume we are not able to simply drive around Australia on our English licences, I think we have 3 months to get an Aus one and I assume this is from visa validation?

I assume the fact we won't have an address until about 12 months after activating the visa/arriving has no impact on how and when we get a licence?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @mgreaves firstly are you coming on a PR visa or temp visa, if temp you have no rush at all to change your license over. If PR then yes I would use your friends address for now, they will need to complete a stat dec stating that you are living at their address. I'm not sure how long it takes for your license to come through in NSW it can take a week to two weeks in Queensland and Victoria.

You don't seem to have much of the pioneering spirit. Calm down. Wait until you get here. Things will work out.

I am a numbers person, I am detailed by nature as I have to be all day everyday!

I am leaving a lot of planning until we get there, I just wanted to make sure that I don't end up causing myself lots of paperwork simply to buy and drive seeing as this will eat in to both time and money.

Ok get one of these:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

And keep your UK driving licence on you, and you will have at least 12 months up your sleeve without needing a local driver's licence. As an Aussie, I suggest you stay on your UK licence for as long as possible - if you ever get pulled over for speeding, most police will put you in the too hard basket rather than fine you. And no demerit points lost either.

Things are way easier with an Aussie state license - as northshorepom says it is a de facto ID card. Otherwise you have to prove your identity with '100 points of ID' and that is a nause. I would suggest you wait until you know where you're going to settle as you don't want to double up on license fees. What is important to sort out is a bank account and medicare. You can then use these to support your 100 points of ID for the driving license.

Each form of ID gives you a certain number of points to prove your identity - in Queensland anyway. An Aussie state driving license gets you there straight off. Foreign passport gives you a certain number, foreign credit card a bit more, local bank card, etc. You will get used to carrying around a lot of paperwork in the first couple of weeks to prove who you are! Even getting a sim card or mobile phone requires it.

Edited to add in Queensland you only have 3 months to get a QLD license.

Ok get one of these:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

And keep your UK driving licence on you, and you will have at least 12 months up your sleeve without needing a local driver's licence. As an Aussie, I suggest you stay on your UK licence for as long as possible - if you ever get pulled over for speeding, most police will put you in the too hard basket rather than fine you. And no demerit points lost either.

I wasn't aware of these so thanks.

However reading all of the states websites it is still not clear if this is valid as I will be a permanent resident. Some states seem to imply they are valid for 12 months, some reference if you are a visitor referring to both citizens and overseas, but some states seem to specifically say if your have PR then it is only valid for 3 months.

Or maybe I am just interpreting it all wrong!

I think it may just be easiest to use my friends address so ensure I am covered.