Advice from those in Adelaide

Lee Earnshaw

Hi everyone

Is there anyone in the Adelaide area (UK expat) who can offer some advice on the current employment opportunities and lifestyle?

I have recently started the process to emigrate to SA and have been told I am eligible for a visa, however, I was hoping to get some honest feedback on living in Adelaide and to source the current job market before I inevitably commit?

I am a project manager and have 22 years experience within logistic operations and supply management.

Any constructive thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Lee

I'm not in Adelaide but hopefully some of our Adelaide members will be along soon.

I have a soft spot for Adelaide, it's a lovely compact city. I used to live out in country Victoria and if I drove to Melbourne, it would take me four hours to get to the edge of Melbourne and another whole hour to get to the centre - whereas it took me four hours to get to the edge of Adelaide and 20 minutes to get to the centre! Yet it's still big enough to have all the amenities you need. Beaches and wineries within easy reach. It's a restaurant and cafe culture rather than a pub culture.

However employment opportunities are definitely more challenging. Most of the big companies have their major installations in Melbourne or Sydney. Adelaide is also well known for being a "who you know, not what you know" culture.

I suggest getting on seek.com.au which is Australia's biggest job search site. Notice which agencies are advertising work in your field, ring them up and ask them for their opinion. Don't email - you'll get much better information in a phone call.

• 1 month later...

South Australia has the highest unemployment in Australia and their economy has been struggling for a while now. The mistake that people make is thinking because they are on a skills list that their occupation will genuinely be in demand, which isn't always the case. In terms of whether you will find work, in my opinion, it depends on your skill set, your attitude, approach, your expectations and your personal circumstances as well as many other factors - one size does not fit all!!

Have you had a look on Poms in Adelaide as there will be more specific information on there in relation to Adelaide?

We are just at the start of the emigration process having just returned from Adelaide in Feb after staying with friends who emigrated out there in 2014. We loved it there and would love to move there however are really concerned about the job situation, especially for my husband who has been in the same job for 16 years but has no qualifications. Also my job equivalent from the UK, is a Child and Family Health Nurse, and these roles are rarely advertised Adelaide way. It's such a difficult to decision to make, to travel the other side of the world with no jobs to an economy (in SA) which appears to be struggling :wacko:

Hi everyone

Is there anyone in the Adelaide area (UK expat) who can offer some advice on the current employment opportunities and lifestyle?

I have recently started the process to emigrate to SA and have been told I am eligible for a visa, however, I was hoping to get some honest feedback on living in Adelaide and to source the current job market before I inevitably commit?

I am a project manager and have 22 years experience within logistic operations and supply management.

Any constructive thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Lee

Looks like you already have some competition for jobs in Adelaide with user Alcon38! They seem to be in the same line of work as you.

We are just at the start of the emigration process having just returned from Adelaide in Feb after staying with friends who emigrated out there in 2014. We loved it there and would love to move there however are really concerned about the job situation, especially for my husband who has been in the same job for 16 years but has no qualifications. Also my job equivalent from the UK, is a Child and Family Health Nurse, and these roles are rarely advertised Adelaide way. It's such a difficult to decision to make, to travel the other side of the world with no jobs to an economy (in SA) which appears to be struggling :wacko:

What line of work is your husband in?

Twist rods they are called -there used to be a small manufacturing company at Old Reynella maybe worth seeing if its still there when you do arrive

Thanks Pat. That is really helpful and would be perfect as is right by where we would like to live :yes:

Thanks Pat. That is really helpful and would be perfect as is right by where we would like to live :yes:

Paige go onto the Poms in Adelaide site as you will get some help on there too

If you were statins down that way there is quite a lot of manufacturing in Lonsdale but wondering is your hubby a steel fixed ie does he work on site or does he just work in the manufacturing of steel

We used to live in Adelaide until 8 months ago. The job market is not great there at the moment and sadly is set to get a bit worse as Holden are closing their factory in 2017, this will have a big knock on effect with companies that supply parts to them and the car transport business.

My husband is a fully qualified mechanic and after he was made redundant he struggled to find work so we now live in Melbourne.

I do not know much about the industry that your husband works in but I know 2 large construction companies recently also closed their South Australia branches.

We used to live in Adelaide until 8 months ago. The job market is not great there at the moment and sadly is set to get a bit worse as Holden are closing their factory in 2017, this will have a big knock on effect with companies that supply parts to them and the car transport business.

My husband is a fully qualified mechanic and after he was made redundant he struggled to find work so we now live in Melbourne.

I do not know much about the industry that your husband works in but I know 2 large construction companies recently also closed their South Australia branches.

Thank you for your information. My husband isn't really fussed about what job he gets, just as long as he gets one. Hopefully you've had more luck in Melbourne.

Paige go onto the Poms in Adelaide site as you will get some help on there too

If you were statins down that way there is quite a lot of manufacturing in Lonsdale but wondering is your hubby a steel fixed ie does he work on site or does he just work in the manufacturing of steel

Thank you. He was looking at jobs the other night, no necessarily in what he does now, but just jobs local to that area. There were a few around so as long as he gets a job he'll be happy.