Citizenship in 2 yrs, requirements please

samozsoon

My eldest son would like some advice please with regards to gaining citizenship before July 2010.

Our visas were granted in April this year and we all validated them in June, staying in Oz til July 9th so that we were 'in the country on July 1st' the commencement date of the new citizenship requirements.

The four of us are now moving over to Sydney in January leaving the eldest here to finish A-Levels in June 08.

Now we are aware that to gain citizenship within 2 yrs we all need to have lived in Oz for 2 yrs before July 2010. That should be ok for us 4.

To get his 2 yrs in before July 2010 Josh obviously needs to be in Oz next June straight after he finishes his A-Levels. BUT he would like to stay here til sometime in July so he can attend his school prom.

What he would like to know is, can the 3 weeks he spent in Oz this year and the 2 week holiday I have just booked for him next easter count towards the 2yrs in total or does it have to be 2 yrs without a break?

If the do count towards the 2 yrs then he could stay here til end of July.

He needs citizenship asap so he can get help with Uni fees, we are budgeting for the first 2 yrs of his course but as he wants to be a Vet he could be at Uni for 5/6 yrs.

Sorry for such a long post but thought it best to give all the info I could.

Thanks for reading.

Sam xx

Archived