Flying from Brisbane to London with a 6-month old

LonToBris

Hi all, we're taking our baby daughter back home this week and are just trying to work out the travel arrangements for her. Does anyone have any tips on the do/don't take a pushchair thing? We will have a pushchair when we get to England but were thinking of leaving her pushchair here in Brisbane and using one from Qantas at Brisbane airport and then another for the five-hour stopover in Singapore (they appear to have loan pushchairs there). Has anyone got any recommendations or past experience with this or something similar? Wondering whether there will be enough pushchairs to go round at either and if people have any other tips for a journey with a baby.

Borrow one of the ones at the airports or use a sling. Slings are great, both hands free while you move round. Prefer those over a pushchair any day. The pushchairs at Singapore (and other airports) are only the basic stroller types. If you ask at the gate before boarding or when you board, you may find they have one waiting at the gate for you when you land. If not, just go to the nearest map or info desk and ask where to find one.

Last time we flew with Qantas on long haul from Aus they made us check our stroller at the check in and we didn't see it again till we got to the UK at the luggage claim. Singapore airlines and BA let us take it to the gate and stored it in the cabin so we had it for our transit stops.

ETA - We didn't really use the pushchair during transit tbh. He was worn or carried usually. I put our bags in the pushchair :smile:

First come first served so nope, doesn't look like you can have one from the gate anymore

http://www.changiairport.com/en/passenger-guide/special-assistance.html

Personally, I'd go with a sling (one of the frog leg type ones if getting one IMHO). Also fab for on the plane if you have to walk up and down but want or need arms to have a rest. Babies sleep well in a sling too generally.

Edited by Guest
eta

We took a very cheap umbrella fold stroller and I believe we got it back each time we got off the plane, as we took it up to the plane door each time as did other parents... My little boy was three months old, we also had a baby carrier which clipped onto the front of me -as others have adcised, which really was a lifesaver for moving quick and handling our bags etc

Never owned a stroller and always used a sling myself so I would be of the "take a good sling" brigade (Ergobaby seem to be amongst the most popular).

Having flown yesterday and experienced probably quite the worst screaming kid I have ever heard (beat the one on our last flight hands down!) I would suggest that if your child does howl, don't be afraid to get up and walk with them about the cabin (hence the sling recommendation). The poor parents yesterday thought they had to quiet the child in the seat - and it was pretty obvious that wasn't working!. I do remember walking across Asia instead of watching Chariots of Fire with DS 2 one time and karma came back to bite him as he walked across Asia with his daughter on their last flight over.