Another question about Visa 189 delays - will it ever happen?!

agm

Hi everyone.

My Visa 189 application has been going on since July 2015. My partner was added as a defacto in September when his own visa app was rejected. He has completed the police check and medical and given all documents requested. We then received an email on 21st Jan 2016 saying he'd been accepted and added to my visa successfully. It took them 97 days (over the Xmas period) to move from requesting his medical and police check to accepting him on my visa.

As a 189 application I know I am 4th down the priority list out of 5 but obviously this gives no actual timescales.

My question is, roughly how long will it take from here in your experience?

Any advice or hope really appreciated

Edited by agm
factual

Cheers CaptainC - that's what I had read. Does the 3 months restart from their very last email regardless of how much time they spent assessing my solo visa? I ask because I had 1 1/2 months where they were assessing my 'sole' visa application before my partner was added as a defacto and slowed everything right down. I was hoping this might mean that there would only be about 1 1/12 months of the 3 months processing time left.

The official line is that the three months begins when a full and complete application is submitted. This could be interpreted to mean that following a request for further information and the receipt of that information, so long as the application is then 'complete' then the 3 months starts at that point.

Thanks so much for this... So if my partner's documents (birth cert, police check, medical) were uploaded/added in October 15 and they email in January 15 confirming that he's been successfully added, would the 3 months start from October or January?

I would imagine January because that's when it appears that your application is complete.

Don't pay too much attention to processing times though, only use 3 months as a guide. Every application is unique and it is often significantly longer or shorter depending on how much verification checking or processing that they need to do.

Sure, it was down to the fact that although he had 8 years of skilled employment in his chosen occupation, and because he was working as a 'trainee' officially, the assessing body VETASSESS deemed him as having 'no experience' as he was not qualified. His work experience only begins to 'count' when he gets his certificate qualifying him as an accountant. Perhaps this was an obvious oversight on our part but didn't spot it at the time.

Sure, it was down to the fact that although he had 8 years of skilled employment in his chosen occupation, and because he was working as a 'trainee' officially, the assessing body VETASSESS deemed him as having 'no experience' as he was not qualified. His work experience only begins to 'count' when he gets his certificate qualifying him as an accountant. Perhaps this was an obvious oversight on our part but didn't spot it at the time.

Ohh okay. Now on the 189 visa application where you are the main applicant, you're no longer claiming any points for his qualification? hopefully everything goes smoothly from here. I applied on August 2015 and no news since CO contact last October 2. :/

Your timeline sounds similar to mine. I've got 75 points anyway so wasn't claiming any points from him. He's on my application now - which is probably the reason why the whole process has slowed right down. I started in July - and I seem to get a different case officer name at the end of every email I receive. Good luck with it all.

Your timeline sounds similar to mine. I've got 75 points anyway so wasn't claiming any points from him. He's on my application now - which is probably the reason why the whole process has slowed right down. I started in July - and I seem to get a different case officer name at the end of every email I receive. Good luck with it all.

oh are you claiming points for work experience? then they might be doing some employment verification that's why it's taking some time. on my application i didn't claim any points for work experience that's why im puzzled why it's taking this long to get even an update..

oh are you claiming points for work experience? then they might be doing some employment verification that's why it's taking some time. on my application i didn't claim any points for work experience that's why im puzzled why it's taking this long to get even an update..

I am - 13 years experience as a teacher plus I sat IELTS to get to 75 points - my application would have been quite straightforward had my partner not been added half way through the process. I imagine my w/exp was verified way, way back last year before they moved me onto the next stage.