Designer & Chef April Queensland Reccie

The Raillys

We are heading over for 10 days in April, to make a decesion where we will move to, Sunshine coast, Brisbane or Gold coast.

My husband is a chef and I am a web designer, (UX UI) so thinking would like a life where I could work from home, and well he can work anywhere, we think.

Has anyone else here moved to lower Queensland, how works in either of our industries?

Love to hear where and how you work?

Work as a chef would not be a problem in any of those area's really, so it will come down to where you would like to live hence the reason for your reccie. Cannot help on the web designer work.

Our Daughter is/was a chef but found the work ethics for this trade here in Aus not to her liking so she is more on the catering side of the industry at the moment.

Good luck with everything and enjoy.

Hi Keith & Linda,

thank you for your reply, I understand how your Daughter feels With the Chef Trade. Its the same in the UK, long long hours and low pay.

It is difficult to know where you should go with your career, or even leave it for a better quality of life.

I would love to hear from anyone who is a Freelance graphic or Web designer. Its a big decision to decide to live away from a city, and hope to find work from home, or will I end up commuting into Brisbane everyday?

I would love to hear from anyone who is a Freelance graphic or Web designer. Its a big decision to decide to live away from a city, and hope to find work from home, or will I end up commuting into Brisbane everyday?

If you think you'll need to commute to Brisbane every day then look at the Gold Coast, not the Sunshine Coast. "Wanted Down Under" has been showing people properties on the SC and suggesting that work in Brisbane is practical, but very few Australians would even consider it!

There's a lot of competition for web design/graphic design work.

• 2 weeks later...

@The Raillys we looked at mango hill north of Brisbane and really liked it but drove back to Brisbane one day and.... Not great road network setup... Few friends said don't go north of pine river if commuting into Brisbane. We opted Gold Coast for that reason and looked at ormeau .. Coomera etc all opening up just now and between both but you've got to feel it's right for u. Keep an eye on commonwealth games jobs too. Good luck xx

@The Raillys we looked at mango hill north of Brisbane and really liked it but drove back to Brisbane one day and.... Not great road network setup... Few friends said don't go north of pine river if commuting into Brisbane. We opted Gold Coast for that reason and looked at ormeau .. Coomera etc all opening up just now and between both but you've got to feel it's right for u. Keep an eye on commonwealth games jobs too. Good luck xx

If you're expecting to work in Brisbane and think Mango Hill to there is a problem, then heaven help you if you want to get from the Gold Coast to Brizzy. I'm assuming that you mean live and work on the Gold Coast?

If you're expecting to work in Brisbane and think Mango Hill to there is a problem, then heaven help you if you want to get from the Gold Coast to Brizzy. I'm assuming that you mean live and work on the Gold Coast?

Family live in green bank and Victoria point so hence we opted South. Train line going in at mango hill. Made it attractive. I'm a nurse so will be able to work wherever.

• 3 months later...

So thought I should post an update here about our trip to Sunshine coast, Brisbane and Gold coast.

We flew into to Sunshine coast (via Sydney) Stayed in a lovely AirBnb in Yaroomba.

Did day trips to Noosa, Buderim, Mooloolaba. We looked at land and display homes and were surprised in person by the prices. (higher than we thought) The beach is beautiful but sunshine coast is not cheap. We thought we found some affordable land in Buderim, but when we viewed it was on a really steep hill, and needed a lot of clearing, (what we would of saved on land costs we would spend on special builds and land clearing) Sunshine coast barely has a transport system. A few buses here and there, which means going out and not drinking because of driving would be the reality)

We decided we love sunshine coast for a holiday, but it was too quiet for us to live.

Brisbane - we really wanted to live by a sandy beach, so were not that excited about Brisbane before we arrived.

We stayed in Deagon , which had a really great train service (half an hour into the city)

We spent time on the south bank and swam in the man made beach, had some lovely meals out and visited the koala sanctuary.

We fell in love with Brisbane!

Looked at land quiet far north in Burpengary. And felt this could be home.

Next we headed south - we stayed near Cleveland (in-between Brisbane and Gold coast) Lots of affordable land out this way, but we found the southern motorway to always be jammed up.

The train from Cleveland to Brisbane costs nearly $10 each way - hence why the motorway is always full of traffic (you can get all day parking for $15 in Brisbane so there is no incentive to catch the train)

Visited Gold Coast and even in the Autumn we got a 28 degree day!

Gold Coast is more happening than sunshine but still don't want to be commuting from Gold coast to Brisbane on that blocked up motorway. Also crime watching the news there seems to always be crime in Gold Coast - nothing like London though!

Although Gold Coast seems an option for us We have decided to settle in Brisbane at first..

Can't wait to move in October!

lots more photos info form our trip on our blog

journeystravelled.com

Edited by The Raillys