Visiting Oz with British passport when Australian passport expired

Conniebygaslight

Hello all,

we we are returning to Oz at Easter to visit family, our 3 children have expired Australian passports and I'm wondering if they can enter on their uk passports if they take their citizenship certificates and expired Australian passports with them, just desperately trying to keep costs down tbh. I've asked the Australian high commission and they've said they would not be able to get a visa in their uk passports but I'm sure others have been in this situation. Before we go to the trouble of having to renew 3 Australian passports and a trip to London, I wondered if anyone could help. Many thanks

Australians cannot get a visa by definition, because they are citizens.

I saw this situation happen first hand in Brisbane airport, and although you will eventually get through immigration, this may take several hours.

So, yes technically it can be done, but the rules say that an Australian must leave and enter on an Australian passport......so, unless you want you and your family to be detained for an indeterminate amount of time, you should renew the passports.