Airlines

vicky2015

Hi please could I have recommendations for airlines going to Sydney.

We'll be flying from Dublin. 2 Adults, 2 Children and 1 Infant.

Thanks. :)

Hi Vicky,

From my experience the quickest way & simplest is with Emirates - Dublin -> Dubai - > Sydney

All other routes will mostly have more stop overs in bigger hubs like heathrow , singapore , hong kong

Singapore is the best airline in my opinion - flown with Emirates, KLM, Sri Lankan (significantly cheaper but fly from Heathrow to KL & then change airlines from KL - budget airlines do KL-Sydney), Qantas

Emirates in the quickest if you don't mind flying via Dubai but we had a really bad experience (my husband strip searched at gunpoint for no reason) & would never fly through Dubai again. Also found the staff very indifferent at the airport and the service on the flight was the minimum you'd expect. Their entertainment system is good but that's about it.

Qantas goes through Dubai too now and code shares with Emirates so essentially the same.

KLM/Sri Lankan both cheaper - Sri Lankan much cheaper. Both good value for money but less bells and whistles with entertainment, food etc. and KLM seats are quite small - can get economy comfort seats at check-in for a supplement.

Singapore A380 was superb, staff excellent, food excellent - would fly with them every time but the most expensive.

You get what you pay for!

We always fly Singapore as we much prefer Changi airport to Dubai. When we flew with Emirates several years ago the flight itself was fine but was delay on the way out and on the way back. On the way to Australia we just got our connecting flight but in the way back we missed it meaning a six hour stop in Dubai airport, which was not fun. If I have to be in an airport for any length of time I would choose Changi any day.

Just to add , we flew on a BA / Qantas code share when we moved to Australia and BA were awful. The staff were miserable and unhelpful and more interested in gossiping to each other rather than dealing with passengers. The Qantas leg was much better and I would be prepared to Qantas another go but they are always much more expensive when I book. As stated earlier if you book early Singapore offers good value flights.

Edited by NicF
Added a bit

After having been several times now on different airlines. I have decided they are more or less all the same. You sit on a modern Airbus or Boeing tin can for many hours. Eat salty reheated food and watch some films, struggle to try and sleep and keep looking at the screen map, wondering 'are we any nearer'

(of course those who can afford the pointy end may have different view)

So for me now, it comes down to arrival times, aircraft type (I love the A380 over a 777) and price. You will get good and bad flight on all airlines.

Meaning my March flight is with Emirates, even though I'm planning a few days stop over in Singapore. As I wanted A380 all the way and arrive in Singapore early afternoon, not late evening. Even though this mean a stop in the giant glitzy over priced shopping mega city, aka Dubai. Only costing us £ 200 more for all 4 of us.

Has anyone used Royal Brunei Air, they seem quite cheap at the moment? Also does anyone else think the bigger the plane the longer it takes to board and disembark?

Friend flew to Melbourne with them recently. Modern 787 aircraft, fuel stop in Dubai then another stop in Bandar. Nothing really to do on second stop. But cheap and clean. Normal bought in contract food on first 2 sectors, not much palatable on third. They seem to have dropped prices back again to fill planes. Lets hope they stay on the route ?

Has anyone used Royal Brunei Air, they seem quite cheap at the moment? Also does anyone else think the bigger the plane the longer it takes to board and disembark?

Yes I have flown with them when they used to fly to Perth. No issues, we had a quick fuel stop in Dubai and about 3/4 hours in Brunei. Entertainment was good enough and food was alright. They don't serve alcohol but that was not an issue for us, Especially as we saved about £250 each flying with them got flights for £500 return each. The First leg to Brunei was a bigger plane and the second leg was a smaller plane.

Doesn't really matter re disembarking IMHO. You still all end up at immigration and baggage claim in a herd anyways. I'd take a few minutes more getting off the plane to have flown 13 hours on an A380 than a smaller more cramped 777 for the same length journey on a different route. Easy to disembark early if you book seats in the right place on the plane also. But then you have the problem in reverse in that you are last to board ;)

Edited by Guest
eta

My husband was a captain with them for 10 years, I can't count the number of times I flew.

They are fine, we still know plenty of experienced captains still working there.

Food can sometimes leave a bit to be desired, but irrespective of who I fly with I take a sandwich plus snacks with me.

At the end of the day, price and convenient flight times makes your decision.

Shame Bandar airport is all most passengers see as Brunei is an interesting place to visit, but things have changed a bit since I left, got a bit stricter sadly.

Doesn't really matter re disembarking IMHO. You still all end up at immigration and baggage claim in a herd anyways. I'd take a few minutes more getting off the plane to have flown 13 hours on an A380 than a smaller more cramped 777 for the same length journey on a different route. Easy to disembark early if you book seats in the right place on the plane also. But then you have the problem in reverse in that you are last to board ;)

We love being the last to board a plane and can't understand the people that will stand in a queue for ages waiting to get on. When we went back to the UK for Christmas we left it so late to board one plane that the staff actually asked if we were going to get on. Never been late enough to hold the plane up though and always at the gate in plenty of time, it's just we would rather spend as much of our time in a place where we have space than sat in a plane seat.

We love being the last to board a plane and can't understand the people that will stand in a queue for ages waiting to get on. When we went back to the UK for Christmas we left it so late to board one plane that the staff actually asked if we were going to get on. Never been late enough to hold the plane up though and always at the gate in plenty of time, it's just we would rather spend as much of our time in a place where we have space than sat in a plane seat.

the trouble with that is all the overhead lockers will be full and you won't be able to stuff any of your stuff in easily.

I usually try to fly Qantas or maybe British Airways just to try and support the country rather than some middle eastern oligarchs.

Etihad also do flights with only one stopover. I flew to Dublin in October from the Brisbane and the new dreamliner is great.

I'm flying with a toddler and infant in April with Emirates. One thing I was concerned about was the timing of the long flight from the middle east to Australia. 14 hours is a hell of a long time to entertain toddlers on a plane. Another Irishman I spoke says he always books two stopovers (usually UAE and Singapore) so that everyone gets a break. It lengthens the overall journey but he reckoned it was easier. We decided against that but booked in a couple of days in Abu Dhabi as a long stopover.

I flew with them last May. They were fine. Had approx 5 hours stop in Brunei so take a book to read to fill in the time because it's a very small airport with not much to look at for entertainment.

the trouble with that is all the overhead lockers will be full and you won't be able to stuff any of your stuff in easily.

I usually try to fly Qantas or maybe British Airways just to try and support the country rather than some middle eastern oligarchs.

I haven't flown with BA or Qantas for years. Expensive and service and planes just as good/bad as any other airline.

God yes, we all hate the overhead locker rush. Flight last year (emirates cramp 777 Mel to Sin). We were last to board (traffic getting to Tuller).

Struggling to find locker space a few rows back, dropped my bag on some guys head. He was not impressed. Gave me evil stares each time I went to w/c for the next 2 sectors to Dubai. Not helped with half of folks having massive carry on bags and often more than one !

I would refuse to fly with Brunei on moral grounds.

The fact that they have implemented sharia law and impose executions on homosexuals and other 'çrimes' like adultery would prevent me from ever flying with their national carrier.

And that my friends is probably the end of an informative discussion re merits of different airlines.

Mike

I would refuse to fly with Brunei on moral grounds.

The fact that they have implemented sharia law and impose executions on homosexuals and other 'çrimes' like adultery would prevent me from ever flying with their national carrier.

Says the man with equal rights champion, Donald Trump, as his avatar.