Just arrived in Oz - setting up Internet and TV

Liamscar83

Hi There, great forum! hope you don't mind me asking a newbie question.

we've just arrived in Sydney and recently moved into a rental property. We went to JB HIfi for a few bits and tried to set up Telstra internet with FOXTEL TV but we were denied due to not having and credit rating in Australia (we found this odd as we were able to secure an apartment with no issues!)

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had any idea how we get around this? We have some savings we could use to pay a full year contract upfront but want to avoid that if possible. It doesn't have to be Telstra Internet, we just want a good connection at a reasonable price.

thanks all

Getting foxtel through Telstra isn't necessarily the best deal. As you can bargain better with foxtel directly down the line to get a better deal. I currently use tpg unlimited for internet which costs 59.99 and pay 49 for foxtel where we have every package except films. Try other operators sure you can find someone who will take you and as I said get foxtel separately from Telstra. Foxtel itself will offer you internet through Telstra network.

It shouldn't be a problem with Foxtel as they require people to pay the month in advance, so you are always paid up a month ahead.

They will cut you off quickly if you don't pay your bills.

So it is really only post paid services like a mobile phone plan or internet where it will be an issue.

I would ring the Telstra help line as I'm sure there must be a corporate policy for this.

New arrivals to the country have to be catered for somehow.

My understanding is it normally is only an issue if you have a poor credit rating, ie have defaulted on other things.

Starting with a clean slate shouldn't be a problem at all.

Guest Guest226914

We signed up with TPG and foxtel after only being in the country one month and no credit rating with no issues. You could give TPG a go - we have had good experiences with them.

I went with Internode. Cheaper than Telstra, 1 month rolling contract (with something like $200 setup fee), and ability to enable Annex M (faster uploads, so better video quality received on Skype calls from my contacts in the UK).

This is just ADSL2, not Fibre.

I suggest you try another ISP.

Aren't you missing the point of the question asked ?

Ie how does the OP get around the issue of not having a credit rating to get services like Foxtel or Internet access ?

Yes, go with a competitor? Also while Telstra may own foxtel they may have different processes if with foxtel direct