Recommendations for visit to the Brisbane area.

Wooba

In the last week of Feb we're going to be in Brisbane. Tentatively the plan is to stay a few days in the Gold Coast area and a few days in Brisbane. (Probably the first 2 or 3 days in Gold Coast so we're nearer the airport on our final morning).

Can anyone recommend areas for hotels in either city? Must see items, etc?

Thanks..

Gold Coast has so much accommodation you can't really go wrong. Personally I like the Burleigh Heads area. Just use hotelscombined.com.au and see where you get a good deal. Probably more holiday type stuff to do at the Goldie than Brisbane

Brisbane:

Mt Coot-tha lookout

South Bank park lands

Botanical Gardens

Take a city cat ferry along the rivers

Eat street markets - portside (can get city cat there)

Lone pine Koala sanctuary

Day trip to Stradbroke island

Yeah, I usually go there rather than Gold Coast while holidaying. Depends what you are looking for, nice and relaxing with great beaches, less busy and more Aussie/less international than the Goldie. Noosa being the most popular spot.

What are you looking for out of your holiday? Some places on the Gold Coast I would consider awful (Surfer's Paradise) but would be popular with teenagers and early 20s. But it's a big place and plenty of other nice spots.

Highlights of the Sunshine Coast would be Noosa, Eumundi markets, the Glasshouse Mountains, Bribie Island and Australia Zoo. I would head there rather than the Gold Coast but it's not everyone's cup of tea. For a gross generalisation, the Gold Coast is lively and has more things to do, while the Sunshine Coast is more sedate and better if you want to get out in nature.

Take Surfers out of the Gold Coast and its beautiful

But Surfers aint that bad at all

Don't believe everything you read

Coolangatta well worth a day

Currumbin

Surfers paradise for 1 day

Further North for the Theme parks if thats your thing four of them to go at

3 Days Brisbane

Surfers Paradise is a lot better looking now than it was a few years back. Nothing really wrong with it, just a younger crowd and lots of bars and tourists.

Coolangatta is probably my favourite spot for a swim/beach. Currumbin surf club is fantastic. Burleigh heads has a lot of good restaurants and a great beach.

I prefer Sunny coast mainly due to less busy/traffic for an easier weekend. Can't really go wrong with either though.

Don't forget to look at airb&b which can offer better values than hotels for Brisbane - Somewhere like West End would be a great place to stay if you liked lively and close to the CBD...

Never stayed there but I've always wanted to try this place at West End/Highgate Hill:

Franklin-Villa-pool.jpg

Source: http://www.westendmagazine.com

entry.jpg

Source: http://franklinvilla.com.au

Franklin Villa: http://franklinvilla.com.au

Edited by fish.01

Coolangatta is the best place on the Gold Coast. Sunshine Coast is much much more chilled out in general, low rise, with more gentle surf. Both areas have great beaches, and good amenities for tourists.

Definitely take a day trip to North Stradbroke Island when you are in Brisbane. A must see - head for Point Lookout.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if up north Hervey Bay and frazer island will be a bit of stretch... But I will pick it over surfers paradise any day. AirBNB is a great way to save. If you are going for hotel stay, You could also try Cashback and coupon sites like Shopandmint.com to save some extra

As you will only be around for a few days and you are wanting to see as much as possible then that has to include surfers paradise even if only for an hour get it ticked off the list you can always drive up and down the Gold coast and have a peep in at a few of the other beaches too, Currumbin being one of our favorites, you can also drive up to Mount Tamborine, and even on to O'reiley's in Laminton or even drive down over the border into NSW into the Mount Warning area. In Brisbane a trip up and down the river on the City Cat is a must and get on/off at several place's to explore along the way. Mount Cootha is worth a quick look too.

The Sunshine coast may be has not as much to offer as further south, but may time permitting, still worth a visit.

Enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...