Working with Children Card

Hi!

Hope someone can help!!, i am moving to Darwin in April 2016, i currently work within social care and so this is the type of jobs i will be looking for in Darwin, it was my hope to apply for jobs before i arrive, however i have found i need to apply for a "working with children card" or "ochre card", does anyone know if i can apply for this card before arriving in Oz, or would i need an Australian address?

thanks in advance!

Kelly

Try applying for one n see what it says...I had to have Aus address and proof of that when I got one in Victoria...but most jobs state you need to have it before you start but it won't stop them employing u if you don't yet have it, u just need to agree u will get it n Then u can do that when u arrive, that's how I've always done it..I only have experience of QLD VIC n NSW though

Thats great! thankyou both for your help!

fingers crossed!

Kelly x

When I commenced work at the hospital here in Darwin, I didn't have the card, just showed employer the receipt I'd paid (which is tax deductable by the way) and was able to start work straightaway. The office is in the Darwin CBD, I applied online and took the relevant documents to the office. All fairly straightforward by Aussie standards who do like their paperwork!!

Did you apply for the job before you moved to Darwin? i've just found alot of jobs asking for the card number, do you think my application will still be considered without me having the card?

thanks again :)

Kelly

Yes I did apply for the job before moving back to Darwin but not from UK, from a different state in Oz. I'd worked previously at the hospital so they knew me quite well but the ochre card had been brought in since then so I knew nothing about it until the recruitment officer told me. She basically gave me all the details and said I didn't need to wait for it, just show them the receipt for the application fee and could start work (which I did...the nest day)! All of the health jobs (unless private) are working for the NT government so the rules would probably be the same I would imagine.

As to applying from the UK, I would probably contact SAFE NT and ask them. They have an email address on their website. That way, you would have the correct information with regards to approaching employers.

Best wishes

Helen

Hi, I just looked on the website and found this out. Seems you need access to an Australian residential and postal address if applying online, but can apply by post using a downloadable form if you don't meet said criteria.

To lodge an online Working With Children Clearance application you will need access to:

• A valid credit/debit card for payment (MasterCard or Visa only).
  • An email address for confirmation of submission and subsequent communication.
  • A current Australian residential and postal address.
  • The ability to scan documents into .GIF .JPG .PDF .PNG or .TIF formats with each file being no more than 4 megabytes in size.
    The documents you need to prepare and provide in this way are:
    • Identification documents – you will be asked to upload valid ID Documents to meet the 100 point check requirement.
    • Passport photo image – for use on the Ochre Card.
    • Any submission documents that you wish to provide to the Screening Authority for consideration. Please note, word documents are not able to be attached.

If you do not have the access to any of the above, you will need to apply via the post using the downloadable form (download hardcopy application here), or visit SAFE NT.

Hope this helps!

Hi!

Hope someone can help!!, i am moving to Darwin in April 2016, i currently work within social care and so this is the type of jobs i will be looking for in Darwin, it was my hope to apply for jobs before i arrive, however i have found i need to apply for a "working with children card" or "ochre card", does anyone know if i can apply for this card before arriving in Oz, or would i need an Australian address?

thanks in advance!

Kelly

Kelly , if it helps then mine took a matter of days from application to being processed (WA) ............