The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

You sound surprised...I trust you researched the West Coast weather before moving there? When it gets too much just lie back and think of the rainforests. Rainforests need rain. :wink:

I hope your plans are progressing for the move to the brighter, drier side of the island? Although, having said that, this year since May has been the wettest and windiest weather I can remember here in the south east. It has to end soon....surely? :unsure:

Unfortunately, no. I had never even been to Australia before I agreed to move here.

I realise rainforests need rain. But when it rains constantly all day every day it gets a little tiresome. I even had the heater on yesterday. I could maybe deal with the weather (I am from UK after all) but it is so isolated here too. Everything is 2+ hours away. I came with my partner for his work (he is from here) and I had the promise of a job too (which never materialised). I am desperate to move to Hobart this year!

I could maybe deal with the weather (I am from UK after all) but it is so isolated here too.

Yes, the west coast is a challenging area, both for weather and access in and out....which is why few Tasmanians choose to live there. Hopefully you will soon be able to make the move to civilisation. :wubclub:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Grey and wet in Sydney again. Must be 2 weeks since we had a sunny day.

Friends in Sydney have told me about the heat you've suffered this past summer and now the rain.

The warmest it reached in Devonport during the summer was 27C. Summer is also the driest time of the year. We had a fairly wet and stormy winter last year so we deserved a lovely summer.

@jockin Tas , im coming on a flying visit in a 4 weeks,sadly only there a couple of nights but wondered if knew what i can expect weather wise? (bear in mind i am used to Brissy heat and a complete wuss in winter)

Hubby needs to do a few hours work in ' Rokeby' (?) so we're probably going to stay in Hobart as there should be something for us to do when hubby at work (our 13yr old daughter is coming with us), have you any advice for me ?

Cal x

@jockin Tas , im coming on a flying visit in a 4 weeks,sadly only there a couple of nights but wondered if knew what i can expect weather wise? (bear in mind i am used to Brissy heat and a complete wuss in winter)

Hubby needs to do a few hours work in ' Rokeby' (?) so we're probably going to stay in Hobart as there should be something for us to do when hubby at work (our 13yr old daughter is coming with us), have you any advice for me ?

Cal x

Skani will hopefully come along with advice on the Hobart area Cal. In the 3 years we've been here I've not ventured to Hobart yet. :shocked: Been previously when on holiday in Tassie and always found plenty to do. Weatherwise Hmmmmmm - well, we've been in April a couple of times and the weather was really nice but bring a jumper and brolly just in case. I know when we came one Easter, the place was packed and accommodation was at a premium so best to book if you are here at that time. You will have a lovely couple of days!

, im coming on a flying visit in a 4 weeks,sadly only there a couple of nights but wondered if knew what i can expect weather wise? x

Could be anything and everything. :wink: Weather is always unpredictable and variable here. The averages for April for Hobart are 17 max and 9 min...but we have had high 20s in mid April. We often have still and beautiful sunny autumn days in April but fresh at night....but if we get a cold change there could be snow on the mountain. My advice is just to plan on layering - t shirts, long sleeved blouse, jumper/cardigan and coat/polo fleece/puffer jacket, jeans/pants with leggings or long johns you can pop on under if it gets cold.

Rokeby is an (outer) suburb of Hobart on the eastern shore (on the opposite side of the harbour from the CBD and the mountain).

Thank you all i will pack some jumpers/hoodies and i dont mind the rain for a day or two,lol.. We will be there mid week prob looking at Tuesday till Friday or something like that. I have looked at accommodation and picked 2 or 3 places within 15kms of Rokeby to show hubby.

Cal x

• 4 weeks later...

I was away for most of March but everyone has been telling me the weather was glorious throughout the month and it seems to be lasting into this month too.  Lovely warm, sunny days with barely a breeze which makes a change for the NW coast as we do get a lot of wind here usually.

On 3/10/2017 at 10:22 PM, calNgary said:

@jockin Tas , im coming on a flying visit in a 4 weeks... we're probably going to stay in Hobart as there should be something for us to do when hubby at work (our 13yr old daughter is coming with us), have you any advice for me ?

Cal x

Hi Cal:  I prepared this list just before PIO went offline....then thought you would be up to your necks in flood worries......then forgot I hadn't sent it.  :-(   Hope this reaches you in time:  

1.   The top of Mt. Wellington.  Choose a clear day.   If you don't have a car available there are bus tours.  Information on these can be found at the Hobart Tourist Information Centre on the corner of Davey and Elizabeth Streets (down near the docks)
http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/information-services/tasmaniantravelandinformationcentrehobart

(Visitor Centre has an app you can download to your phone).

2. MONA:  Museum of Old and New Art.  It's a private museum - reflecting the sometimes bizarre taste of its owner - so not at all what you would see in a normal public museum/art gallery.   The building on its own is interesting - built into the rock on the banks of the river.   Get there by  their own ferries (MONA Roma) from Brooke Street Pier (just one block away from the Info Centre above).

3.  Walking tour around Salamanca Place and the little laneways off it - lots of quirky handcraft, gallery shops,  eateries .  Lots of great places to eat but can especially recommend Daci and Daci Bakery (at the bottom of Murray Street just  opposite Parliament House)  and, for sweet tooths, Honey Badger - a specialty dessert restaurant - in Salamanca Square.  
For fish and chips - my preference is Fish Frenzy on Elizabeth Street Pier.  Mures on Victoria Dock is also very popular (though tends to be very noisy).  They do have a great ice cream parlour, though!  :-)   You can also buy fish and chips at the punts on Constitution Dock.
On the the hill behind Salamanca Place is the suburb of Battery Point - I think it's the oldest surviving suburb in Australia and is a lovely place to wander around.   Some more nice eateries here, too.

4.  The replica of Mawson's Hut (from Antarctica) - also at the docks, 1 block away from the Info Centre.

5.  The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (across the road) has some very interesting displays on history and animals unique to Tasmania.

6.  Botanical Gardens - you can walk from the city centre.  Should be starting to look very autumnal about now.  If the weather's nice it's a lovely spot for lunch or coffee on the balcony of the restaurant there.

7.  The Female Factory at Cascades - ongoing archaelogical excavation of the prison for female convicts transported from Britain and Ireland .  There is a dramatised walk around this area about the history - called Louisa's Walk.  Check with the Info Centre to see if it is still operating at this time of year.
The Cascade Brewery nearby - I think it's the oldest operating in Oz - has guided tours and a cafe/restaurant.

8.  A day tour to Port Arthur.  If you aren't driving there are bus tours or combined boat/bus tours - check with the Info Centre.

9.  Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary at Brighton - includes animals endemic to Tasmania.

10.  Richmond - lovely little village to wander around in - and some great places to eat.  Great lolly shop -  also a wonderful Christmas shop - think it's open all year.

11.  Boat tours, including wildlife spotting  - to Bruny Island, Peppermint Bay, Tasman Island.  Details from the Visitor Info Centre.

12.  Normally I'd recommend Salamanca Market on Saturday...but I had the impression you won't be here on that day?

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1