Glimmer of hope for accountants

UA to AU

We travelled for 8 months before coming over to Australia so have only been here a couple of months. I managed to get the first job I applied for which was good and I start work next week, so life in Oz/reality is just about to start really.

Congratulations on the job!!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ok so this is super positive read as my husbands degree was accounting and he has been in an accountant role since, working towards his professional CIPFA qualification during work! So when you sent off to CPA for everything to be assessed do we have to select assess from degree or professional qualification?? Andrew is sitting the English academic test in a few weeks to try to obtain the 20 points for the English test part, if what you say happens for us and they assess from his degree in accounting we will have 75 points!! Woo! How is life in Oz for you?

There is a set list of subjects

within accounting that your husband will need to prove that he has studied. He should contact his university asap and get an official copy of his syllabus and provided it includes everything that they want to see, then he'll get a positive skills assessment for his degree

More good news on the job front from me.

We also arrived about 6 weeks ago but just started looking for work this week.

Went to 3 recruitment agencies on Monday. 2 basically told me employers wouldn't touch me until I had sat exams to transition to CAANZ. The third put me forward for a job on Monday, sat a Psychometric test on Wednesday, interview on Friday and was offered the job that afternoon.

So don't get disheartened if you find anyone unwilling to accept your UK qualifications.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

within accounting that your husband will need to prove that he has studied. He should contact his university asap and get an official copy of his syllabus and provided it includes everything that they want to see, then he'll get a positive skills assessment for his degree

Thanks so much Sns, we have all of that ready as sent off for all that before Christmas m and he has studied all of 9 required modules and more, so we are feeling super confident and have everything crossed! Andrew has his IELTS exam on March 4th and going for top marks so if he gets 20 points we will have 75 if CPA then award his 8 years experience since degree we have 75! We are so excited!! How are plans with you going? What stage are you at with Visa etc? .

Ps I saw further up its Perth your heading too? Us too! When are you hoping to make the move? Be so great to keep in touch if you do move to know how you settle! Its starting to hit me now how huge a move this actually is! Just wish I could zip through this visa stuff and be booking our flights! Roll on 4th March when diet exam is booked FINGERS CROSSED FOR TOP POINTS FIRST TIME AROUND ?

More good news on the job front from me.

We also arrived about 6 weeks ago but just started looking for work this week.

Went to 3 recruitment agencies on Monday. 2 basically told me employers wouldn't touch me until I had sat exams to transition to CAANZ. The third put me forward for a job on Monday, sat a Psychometric test on Wednesday, interview on Friday and was offered the job that afternoon.

So don't get disheartened if you find anyone unwilling to accept your UK qualifications.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Amazing news, congratulations Makybe Diva!!

Ps I saw further up its Perth your heading too? Us too! When are you hoping to make the move? Be so great to keep in touch if you do move to know how you settle! Its starting to hit me now how huge a move this actually is! Just wish I could zip through this visa stuff and be booking our flights! Roll on 4th March when diet exam is booked FINGERS CROSSED FOR TOP POINTS FIRST TIME AROUND 

Excellent news, sounds like you have exactly

the same visa points and application that I had. With 75 points you will get an invite straight away (as I found out twice - just a little tip, when you submit your EOI select the correct assessing body ie CPA, and not IPA!!!)

We have our hearts set on Perth, we were there at Christmas, but having looked at the current job situation there we are now wondering about coastal NSW. Hoping to go at the end of school term in July, but it will be dependent on the visa and our house.

There are lots of things you can be doing in the meantime, collecting documents, decluttering the house, saving money, researching etc etc

Yes definitely stay in touch, and good luck to OH with the English exam!

Hey everyone, was having a look through this site and came about this thread!

I'm a currently qualifying CA in Ireland working with the Big 4, will be fully qualified in October and on my merry way to Sydney (either by way of transfer through my company or on a WHV while I apply for the s189/190).

The question I have, is can I not apply for this until I have completed my 3 years experience and officially become a CA or can I begin the process now? The reason being is I have done a masters in Accounting, so would have 65 points (possibly 70 if my experience in audit would count but probably won't until I'm actually qualified?) before this +5 points I see people mentioning here for NSW.

I assume that I'd have to continue as an external auditor or is it possible to apply for the accountant aspect?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to using this site more in the coming year until I get over :)

Hey everyone, was having a look through this site and came about this thread!

I'm a currently qualifying CA in Ireland working with the Big 4, will be fully qualified in October and on my merry way to Sydney (either by way of transfer through my company or on a WHV while I apply for the s189/190).

The question I have, is can I not apply for this until I have completed my 3 years experience and officially become a CA or can I begin the process now? The reason being is I have done a masters in Accounting, so would have 65 points (possibly 70 if my experience in audit would count but probably won't until I'm actually qualified?) before this +5 points I see people mentioning here for NSW.

I assume that I'd have to continue as an external auditor or is it possible to apply for the accountant aspect?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to using this site more in the coming year until I get over :)

You can usually count your experience since you graduated, as your degree is relevant to the role. But you'll need to check the list of subjects that CPA look for, and if you have studied everything on the list during your degree then you can use that.

You'll probably need 75 points to be invited quickly though, applicants with only 70 points are currently having to wait a long time.

Could your company sponsor you? You'd get up to 4 years, but then you'd have the risk of accountant being taken off the 189 list altogether in the future

You can usually count your experience since you graduated, as your degree is relevant to the role. But you'll need to check the list of subjects that CPA look for, and if you have studied everything on the list during your degree then you can use that.

You'll probably need 75 points to be invited quickly though, applicants with only 70 points are currently having to wait a long time.

Could your company sponsor you? You'd get up to 4 years, but then you'd have the risk of accountant being taken off the 189 list altogether in the future

Yes, my first hope is that I get across on a sponsorship if I'm honest. I don't want to do another busy season in Ireland so I'm pretty set on going in November regardless. I may go on a WHV whilst waiting on the s189/190 to come through and just work temp jobs over there for the first while. I do see recruiters looking for audit seniors too on a regular basis so I guess that's an option.

Is there an actual difference between auditor and accountant in how they see it? As in, if you get a 189/190 for auditing, can you only work in practice? Seems a bit strange to limit it that way considering it's the same collection of people.

• 1 month later...

On 19 April 2017, 200 occupations were removed entirely from the STSOL.

See: List of the removed occupations

A further 16 occupations on the MLTSSL (indicated by ‘** asterisks’) were restricted to only apply to the following visa programmes:

See: Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)

If your occupation has been removed from the list, you will be impacted if: