Tassie Talk

PommyPaul

Thanks Skani. I'm a nurse, so will see what work becomes available!

The time seems right for me to start exploring....never been to Tassie, but friends say great things about the place! I'm not shopping mall or nightclub kind of person...I'm more the outdoors, walking, bike riding, exploring type! That's why the island seems so appealing! Without the blistering sun effects of Qld! Had enough of that!

I'm not shopping mall or nightclub kind of person...I'm more the outdoors, walking, bike riding, exploring type! That's why the island seems so appealing! Without the blistering sun effects of Qld! Had enough of that!

In that case - it's made for you! IMHO it's a very good climate for living and working. We do have the occasional hot spell in summer but it never lasts long: they're forecasting 32 for Hobart on Wednesday, but 18 the day before and 21 the day after. We moved here because my English mum couldn't cope with the heat and humidity of northern NSW - and even my Aussie dad found it difficult after living in the UK for several years.

Here's a link to get you started :wubclub:

http://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

It's all very accessible. I live only 10 minutes by car from the CBD but can literally walk out my back door directly on to a walking track which could take me to the top of Mt. Wellington (except I'm not that crazy :laugh:)....or a dozen other directions.

I wouldn't expect you'd have to wait very long for a nursing position.

• 2 months later...

Where we live there are many lovely places to go for long walks and plenty of places to let our dog off the lead. My favourite place for taking our pooch is Pig Island, Latrobe. There is a huge grassy area plus lots of interesting places for them to rummage around in plus the river if they fancy a swim.

Walkway over the marshy area.

162.jpg

Pathway leading into the wooded area.

159.jpg

Large grassy area - no dogs there today! My one had disappeared amongst the trees.

161.jpg

Harry spotted some ducks in the river.

163.jpg

162.jpg

159.jpg

161.jpg

163.jpg

What a gorgeous little fella....and what a magic place for a dog to go sniffing the smells! :wubclub:

It's a fantastic place Skani. Every time I've been (and I go fairly often) there is hardly anyone else there with their dog. Just the sound of the birds and there are so many of them from tiny fairy wrens to large wading birds.

Looks like a fab place! I'll make sure I pay it a visit!

How can a town with this chocolate heaven not be a fab place? :wubclub: :laugh:

http://anvers-chocolate.com.au/#intro

And there was an amazing shop called Reliquaire - 26 rooms of amazing stuff - which burnt down on Christmas Eve.:cry: I've known people to make the drive from Hobart just to visit Reliquaire. But the owners are re establishing it in temporary accommodation at the moment.

http://www.reliquaire.com/

How can a town with this chocolate heaven not be a fab place? :wubclub: :laugh:

http://anvers-chocolate.com.au/#intro

And there was an amazing shop called Reliquaire - 26 rooms of amazing stuff - which burnt down on Christmas Eve.:cry: I've known people to make the drive from Hobart just to visit Reliquaire. But the owners are re establishing it in temporary accommodation at the moment.

http://www.reliquaire.com/

Yes, Reliquaire was a really interesting shop and I spent hours mooching around in it. There is a temporary shop in the meantime until a new Reliquare is rebuilt. The temp shop has 10 rooms and a cafe and is spread over 2 levels.

We just spent the last 3 days in Launceston, flying visit (I had some training at the Australian Maritime College) and my missus made the most of the time exploring and shopping. We both were wowed and will be going back for a longer visit to explore Tasmania. It would be nice to take the car, but even my friends on the Spirit of Tasmania can't get me a discount.

I've now been living in Tasmania for just over 2 years and have only been to Launceston 3 times and haven't even visited Hobart at all yet. Turned into a country bumpkin.

Launceston has some very good independent bookshops. Must get to Hobart one of these days. Been before when on holiday. Lovely little city.

Edited by JockinTas

• 1 month later...

Went for a nice day out yesterday heading for Poatina. Poatina is 123 km from Devonport and was a hydro electricity town. The town was built to house the workers during the construction of the power station. The town was bought by Fusion Australia in 1995. Fusion is a Christian not for profit youth and community organisation. We had lunch there and we enjoyed spectacular views of the Great Western Tiers from the restaurant. The town is surrounded by some of Tasmania's best fishing rivers and lakes. The farmland is superb with happy fat sheep and cattle in all the fields. On the way home we had coffee and cake in Deloraine, another lovely little town. A very good day out!

I can remember visiting Poatina shortly after the power station opened in 1964. My father was an electrical engineer with the Hydro and his idea of a family fun holiday was doing a Cook's tour of power stations. :rolleyes: We kids weren't convinced. However I do remember being impressed by that power station because it was 500 ft. underground and going down into the tunnel was pretty cool.

I also thought staying at the Poatina motel was very cool....because it was the first motel I had ever seen. :cute:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, new to the site, But been living in Queensland for 4 years and dare I say it but i'm missing the rain, the weather in Qld is either hot or scortchio,:wink: either way dry and as I'm a chap from the Lake District I'm also missing a few mountains, so it looks like I'm moving to Tassie, so I'm looking at either Launceston or Deloraine, dose anybody know what these town are like?

I'm looking at either Launceston or Deloraine, dose anybody know what these town are like?

Well...they're very different population wise. Launceston is about 85,000 and Deloraine about 2.5 thousand. So much will depend on whether your preference is for a provincial city or a small town/village. Will employment be a crucial factor for you?

Hi All, new to the site, But been living in Queensland for 4 years and dare I say it but i'm missing the rain, the weather in Qld is either hot or scortchio,:wink: either way dry and as I'm a chap from the Lake District I'm also missing a few mountains, so it looks like I'm moving to Tassie, so I'm looking at either Launceston or Deloraine, dose anybody know what these town are like?

Deloraine is one of my favourite Tassie towns. It has a bit of history and some lovely old buildings. Gets heavy frosts and a a bit of snow in the winter. Here is an article about the town.

Ideally located within half an hours drive from both Launceston & Devonport & also being the gateway to the internationally acclaimed Cradle mountain & the highland lakes , Deloraine is an outstanding place in which to live.

Like much of Tasmania , it is steeped in history.

The housing ranges from 1830's cottages , Federation homes & quality contempary housing to impressive Georgian & Victorian 2 storey homes with prices ranging from the high $100,000's to the $2 million Italianate mansion 'Tahara'.......not forgetting some of the most sort after dairy & farming homesteads within Tasmania. Almost all budgets & tastes are catered for.

With the sceneic Meander valley river passing through the centre of the township & Deloraine's 'suspension bridge' & large parks ...... it really does have much to offer in regards to scenery , a relaxed lifestyle & extremely safe place in which to live.

With the back drop of the western tiers , which are snow capped in winter, very few would not appreciate the scenery & ambience that Deloraine has to offer.

Holiday accommodation is also well catered for with a riverside caravan park, hotels & motels, lake side cabins & Georgian B & B's , once again almost all budgets & tastes are catered for.

With numerous services available within Deloraine , including Hospital , major supermarket, primary & high schools , hardware , antiques & art gallery's, doctors etc most of ones needs are catered for within the towns boundarys.

Known as one of Tasmania's most friendly towns , it is a very casual & welcoming town which has enjoyed a considerable number of new arrivals in recent years from various states of Australia now calling Deloraine home.

Once being the home to one of Tasmania's most loved & revered men , Joseph Lyons also is still to this day the only Tasmanian to obtain the highest office within Australia....... becoming Prime Minister of Australia during the 1930's. With his wife not only becoming Australia first female parlimentarian , she also greatly assisted the young countries population growth by bearing 12 children. Joe Lyons is still regarded ,to this day , by many historians as Australia's most beloved & respected Prime Ministers to have ever held office.

Being well within commuting distance to Launceston & other areas of considerable interest, its safe enviroment , sceneic beauty & its welcoming locals Deloraine is not only one of Tasmania's best townships in which to live , it is also expected to have considerable growth in the coming years.

• 2 months later...

There is a memorial park just down the street from our house for the 17 young men from Tasmania who died during the Vietnam war. None of them was older than 25 years old.

Took these photos today.

008.jpg

Memorial stone for each serviceman who died.

009.jpg

Plaques on two of the memorial stones.

010.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

We have a Soldiers Walk on the Domain in Hobart - about 550 cedar and cypress trees planted over several kms between the Aquatic Centre and the Botanic Gardens - each one with a plaque containing details of a local soldier who died in WW1. There are several trees/plaques directly outside the front door of the Aquatic Centre and I think about those young fellers a couple of times a week as I'm leaving the pool.

• 2 months later...
We have a Soldiers Walk on the Domain in Hobart - about 550 cedar and cypress trees planted over several kms between the Aquatic Centre and the Botanic Gardens - each one with a plaque containing details of a local soldier who died in WW1. There are several trees/plaques directly outside the front door of the Aquatic Centre and I think about those young fellers a couple of times a week as I'm leaving the pool.

We went to Legerwood when we were in Tasmania, thought the carved memorial trees were fantastic.

Edited by ramot

• 5 months later...

A write-up from someone who moved from Melbourne to just outside Devonport.

The greater Devonport area has about 25,000 people. A few years ago I relocated from Melbourne to the Devonport area. I love this town - it is the perfect size, large enough to have a variety of shops and clubs of all kinds but not too big to get lost in or too busy traffic-wise. The people, like most in Tassie, are friendly and the shopkeepers are happy to chat and have a joke. No one seems stressed out or grumpy.The town is surrounded by water with Bass Strait to the north, the Mersey River to the east and the Don River on the western boundary. On both sides of the Mersey, there are lovely walking tracks - the one commencing on Victoria Parade north of the main shopping centre and continuing for several klms around the coast to the large forested Don Reserve area over on the west is fantastic. There is a good choice of schools and my two teenagers enjoyed their final 2 years of school at the excellent Don College, a state school - and got into uni. The area also has many facilities for senior citizens and the elderly.The climate in Devonport is great - neither as cold in winter nor as hot in summer as Hobart or Launceston. From Devonport, there are lots of interesting places to visit, from Sheffield, Barrington,Cradle Mountain, Penguin, Burnie, Ulverstone, Wynyard in the west - about an hour or less away, or Launceston and the villages of the Tamar Valley to the east, again about an hour away. Qantas flights from East Devonport airport take you to Melbourne in just over an hour, or you can sleep the night away on the Spirit, arriving in Melbourne early the next morning. There always seems to be something on in Devonport - live plays or concerts, shows or exhibitions. Everything is easily accessible by car, but the public transport is a bit scarce. Nevertheless, for the non driver, there are plenty of houses or units that are within walking distance of the two key shopping areas, and they are half the cost of where I was living before in Melbourne. We have chosen to have an acreage lifestyle about 15 minutes away from Devonport on the coast in Port Sorell, which has its own small village. I feel very relaxed living in this part of Tassie, and it feels "genuine" and "safe" after the urban buzz and edginess and increasingly "driven" and status conscious nature of Melbourne. Whenever I fly into Devonport after spending time away on the mainland, I love looking down on the lovely green vistas surrounding this great town and I'm so glad to be home. I've now met many people who've come from all areas of Australia and are very happy that they have relocated to the north west of Tasmania.