Tassie Talk

PommyPaul

@Canada2Australia I think everyone has their own personal preferences, personally for me i'd lived in the uk for 30 years before coming to australia so i'm never going to share the same view as someone who didn't grow up in the uk, i've also lived all over the mainland of australia, where i'm living in hobart, to me, is the perfect mix of amazing scenery, climate and not being to much of a rat race.

Ha!! Try telling my Tasmanian husband that the UK weather is just the same as Tassie. I don't think he'd quite agree having had the last 10 years in the UK to compare. Housing/ land is far more expensive in the UK and it is massively overcrowded! As Skani said, Brits are far more likely to acclimatise in Tas than one of the blistering states. It depends what you want and there are positives and negatives to both places but until you've lived in both you're not really qualified to comment. " IMHO" !

That's it in a nutshell.

Love living in Tasmania! Island life suits me just fine - and also the climate is very agreeable. Lovely day today. Not a cloud in the sky, 24C and a light breeze.

The mainland is an island too.

And Britain isn't it ?

What do you mean by island life anyway ?

The mainland is an island too.

And Britain isn't it ?

What do you mean by island life anyway ?

Just the distance from more inhabited "bigger islands" - that's all really. If I was back in Scotland one of the Hebridean Islands would also suit me - the weather would be a lot colder though. I don't like cities and 5 minutes drive from where I live, I am surrounded by lovely countryside and the ocean on the doorstep. If it wasn't for my OH I could easily become a hermit :cute:

I have a question. For all the Pommys that move to Tasmania, why would you do that as opposed to staying in the UK? The climate is similar; cloudy, coolish and moist for the most part. That is no different from the UK. Culturally, there is far less to do and experience in Tasmania. compared to the culturally rich UK. So what makes Tasmania different? Anywhere else in Oz I get, but not Taz. It just baffles me. If I had the choice between living in the UK and Tasmania, I'd choose the UK in a heartbeat simply because of the cultural history, much larger cities and easy access to the rest of Europe and Africa; just having more of a choice to do anything and everything vs. what Taz has to offer. Now please, don't take this as a slight against Taz. I plan on visiting this February as I've heard it's a great place. I'm just wondering what the mindset of UKers are when making this decision.

On first appearances it could be a question easily asked. Delve a little deeper though and often people are not from picture post card English villages or enlightened, cultural city environments.

Then economic factors like living with perpetual low wages and high costs, less than preferable sunshine and a country that appears to dwell in an extraordinary negative vision of itself along with class deepening divisions and a government that cares only for the rich in society, will in some way go towards explaining the attractions of elsewhere.

Delve a little deeper though and often people are not from picture post card English villages or enlightened, cultural city environments.

That's strange....:unsure:... The ones I know are professionals and academics from cultural backwaters like Cambridge and Edinburgh and scenery-deprived rural Cornwall and Gloucestershire.

But I'm obviously mistaken: I only live here and can't possibly know as much as some authority elsewhere who's never even visited. :rolleyes:

That's strange....:unsure:... The ones I know are professionals and academics from cultural backwaters like Cambridge and Edinburgh and scenery-deprived rural Cornwall and Gloucestershire.

But I'm obviously mistaken: I only live here and can't possibly know as much as some authority elsewhere who's never even visited. :rolleyes:

There are a few Scots around Devonport but most of them came out years ago to work in forestry and the hydro electric schemes.

It is strange as the ones in Perth tend to be from Lancaster and Manchester, Midlands and Yorkshire (not even the pretty parts ) Australia extends beyond, where was it? Oh Tasmania. OK I know it is Tassie talk but migration is a national phenomenon. (Tassie does get less as well)I was in fact talking generally about British migrants.

Gosh plenty of council houses and deprived folk in Cornwall. As there is in Cambridge. I expect employment prospects would correspond in Tassie rather well with Kernow.

Edited by flag of convenience

I was in fact talking generally about British migrants.

Oh, I see. As you were replying to Canada2Australia's comment about Tasmania I took it to be the subject specifically. I suspect there are probably variations in the demographics of migrants to different areas of the country.

There are a few Scots around Devonport but most of them came out years ago to work in forestry and the hydro electric schemes.

Yes, there was a large migration from the UK into the Hydro Electric Commission in the post war years. My dad was an electrical engineer with the Hydro - which is the reason we arrived here - and I know that recruitment from the UK was such an important activity for the HEC that it had its own recruiting office in London.

Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark is the daughter of Scottish academics who migrated to Hobart.

Oh, I see. As you were replying to Canada2Australia's comment about Tasmania I took it to be the subject specifically. I suspect there are probably variations in the demographics of migrants to different areas of the country.

Well yes as Tasmania doesn't exactly attract many. High intake of humanitarian and refugees helps makes that states source countries of intake rather different from other states.

• 2 weeks later...
So what's it really like....living in Tassie.

For me- not born here but transported by my parents :wink: - it definitely feels different to the rest of Australia. There is a definite sense of "separateness' which all island communities have. People from the big island to the north are always referred to as "mainlanders". I always think of myself as Tasmanian first, Australian second. It has been described as the most "British" of the Australian states: it has a lower migrant population than the others and the most numerous migrant group throughout the state are Brits.

It has 4 distinct seasons, longer days in summer, shorter days in winter. Mainlanders gripe about how cold it is but it's warmer than most of the UK - closest to the Channel Isles - unless you live in the mountains. The weather is very changeable: "layering" as a fashion concept was created in Tasmania.. :laugh:.be prepared for anything at any time.

It has only 500,000 population. You won't like it if your idea of recreation is spending hours in shopping malls or going to a different nightclub each night. But just about everything else is available and easily accessible, getting around is easy - people do complain about "peak hour" traffic here but it's insignificant compared to most cities and for those used to commuting in the UK.

There is no suburban sprawl as in other states - anywhere is very close to a beach or bushland, a river or a mountain. Consequently a high proportion of outdoor activities - with a very suitable climate - conservationists, environmentalists, scientists, foodies, artists. More boats per capita than any other Australian state. Excellent climate for growing food - and quite a "foodie" culture.

Finding suitable employment is the greatest problem for people wanting to move here.