Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Talk

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      To each there own. Everyone is different and has differenct wants out of life.
      I guess. As a Canadian, I've always been in awe with regards to a life in Europe; seeming very exotic to me. I guess I'm just baffled by some of the ice cold attitudes from those from the UK to their original home.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Canada2Australia View Post

I just see it as you guys having something special and great in the UK and many of us in North America envy with a great deal and would do anything to have at our fingertips.
      So why are you not migrating to the UK instead of Australia?

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      So why are you not migrating to the UK instead of Australia?
      Because there is no outside demand for my trade in the UK, and I refuse to move to the US.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Canada2Australia View Post
      I guess. As a Canadian, I've always been in awe with regards to a life in Europe; seeming very exotic to me. I guess I'm just baffled by some of the ice cold attitudes from those from the UK to their original home.
      The realities of day to day living in a place - even the most seemingly "exotic" - can be very different from the view outside or the experience as a tourist. This is especially true for people on average incomes with families.

From my observation over many years, UK born people seem to settle better in Tassie than in other parts of Oz.

The climate is similar; cloudy, coolish and moist for the most part

Actually, Hobart is the second driest Australian capital after Adelaide. The weather varies tremendously within the state but, for the populated parts, the climate is most similar to the southern half of France.

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Skani View Post
      The realities of day to day living in a place - even the most seemingly "exotic" - can be very different from the view outside or the experience as a tourist. This is especially true for people on average incomes with families.

From my observation over many years, UK born people seem to settle better in Tassie than in other parts of Oz.

Actually, Hobart is the second driest Australian capital after Adelaide. The weather varies tremendously within the state but, for the populated parts, the climate is most similar to the southern half of France.
      I was actually looking into France (we have an office in Grenoble) as it is one of our up-and-coming offices and looking to expand it's services (plus I'm fully bilingual in French), but again, there is no demand for my specific trade there. Too bad as that would have been an experience of a lifetime.

I came to Australia for the summer this past year, and found out I have a real shot of immigration in this country (fell in love with it too) so I decided to go where the demand lies.
      Last edited by Canada2Australia; 19-12-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Title
      Tassie Devil
      Liked
      1718 times
      Rep
      @Canada2Australia I think everyone has their own personal preferences, personally for me i'd lived in the uk for 30 years before coming to australia so i'm never going to share the same view as someone who didn't grow up in the uk, i've also lived all over the mainland of australia, where i'm living in hobart, to me, is the perfect mix of amazing scenery, climate and not being to much of a rat race.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      To each there own. Everyone is different and has differenct wants out of life.
      That's it in a nutshell.

Love living in Tasmania! Island life suits me just fine - and also the climate is very agreeable. Lovely day today. Not a cloud in the sky, 24C and a light breeze.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1446 times
      Rep
      Ha!! Try telling my Tasmanian husband that the UK weather is just the same as Tassie. I don't think he'd quite agree having had the last 10 years in the UK to compare. Housing/ land is far more expensive in the UK and it is massively overcrowded! As Skani said, Brits are far more likely to acclimatise in Tas than one of the blistering states. It depends what you want and there are positives and negatives to both places but until you've lived in both you're not really qualified to comment. " IMHO" !
      Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      8838 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by JockinTas View Post
      That's it in a nutshell.

Love living in Tasmania! Island life suits me just fine - and also the climate is very agreeable. Lovely day today. Not a cloud in the sky, 24C and a light breeze.
      The mainland is an island too.
      And Britain isn't it ?

What do you mean by island life anyway ?

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by parleycross View Post
      The mainland is an island too.
      And Britain isn't it ?

What do you mean by island life anyway ?
      Just the distance from more inhabited "bigger islands" - that's all really. If I was back in Scotland one of the Hebridean Islands would also suit me - the weather would be a lot colder though. I don't like cities and 5 minutes drive from where I live, I am surrounded by lovely countryside and the ocean on the doorstep. If it wasn't for my OH I could easily become a hermit
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast