Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tassie Talk

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by PommyPaul View Post
      Being a Tassie newbie (and since the tasmania section is quite quiet) i thought i'd try and kick start things a little

So how about some random chitter chat about our great island, things you've seen, places to go... just general life in tassie stuff?

Only 2 weeks till Hobart's annual week long party - aka "the Taste".

http://www.thetasteoftasmania.com.au...ge-pre-launch/

They deck out Princes Wharf, Salamanca and Parliament House lawns with food and drink stalls, tables and seating all around, close the roads to traffic, and for 12 hours a day (11am to 11pm) you can eat and drink, catch up with mates, wander around the docks to look at the Sydney - Hobart yachts, watch the organised entertainment, then wander back and eat and drink some more!

In the "olden days" when my sister-in-law lived in Battery Point and we had free and convenient parking at her place, we'd go every day and I wouldn't cook for a week.

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep

Hi

Just thought I would say hi, I'm Lorri, in the UK at the moment for a few months then back to
      Tassie, we have a few acres in the Huon Valley, got to build a house when we get back.
      Cant wait to get back there,
      Cheers

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      7423 times
      Rep
      Welcome! I'd love to be building a house in the Huon Valley - lovely part of the world.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1446 times
      Rep
      So many lovely places in Tas. Could keep me busy for years! Hubby's family are in Ulverstone ( NW coast) so we might end up near there. Work is likely to be in Devonport or Launceston. Starting to be very tempted by Hobart though. Always seems to be something going on. Hubby would like to live in a beach shack on the east coast but not really a job for me out there. Still, great area to visit though. �� Never been to the Huon Valley but have heard good things!
      Partner Visa 309/100 Applied for - 23/6/15CO assigned (WP) 1/9/15Medical Completed 29/12/15Police Check uploaded 12/01/16GRANTED 21/01/16!!!!

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      I have a question. For all the Pommys that move to Tasmania, why would you do that as opposed to staying in the UK? The climate is similar; cloudy, coolish and moist for the most part. That is no different from the UK. Culturally, there is far less to do and experience in Tasmania. compared to the culturally rich UK. So what makes Tasmania different? Anywhere else in Oz I get, but not Taz. It just baffles me. If I had the choice between living in the UK and Tasmania, I'd choose the UK in a heartbeat simply because of the cultural history, much larger cities and easy access to the rest of Europe and Africa; just having more of a choice to do anything and everything vs. what Taz has to offer. Now please, don't take this as a slight against Taz. I plan on visiting this February as I've heard it's a great place. I'm just wondering what the mindset of UKers are when making this decision.
      Last edited by Canada2Australia; 18-12-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Title
      Liked
      161 times
      Rep
      I understand the attraction to Tas. CHEAP houses, ability to buy land, less people, laid back, access to stunning scenery. It is also still significantly warmer than the UK (more on par with parts of France). Attracts those wanting an easier laid back relaxed life i.e. not the big city, rat race addicted types.

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      I understand the attraction to Tas. CHEAP houses, ability to buy land, less people, laid back, access to stunning scenery. It is also still significantly warmer than the UK (more on par with parts of France). Attracts those wanting an easier laid back relaxed life i.e. not the big city, rat race addicted types.
      But can't you get most of if not all of that outside cities like London or Edinburgh? I would just find it so much more appealing to live in the UK vs. Tasmania. The UK just has so much more going for it than Tazzy, IMHO.
      Last edited by Canada2Australia; 18-12-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Title
      Liked
      161 times
      Rep
      http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ton-121140106#

Not the climate. Or the land. And not houses like the above - even in a provincial UK city - for anywhere close to that price.

Title
      Liked
      38 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by movingback View Post
      http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ton-121140106#

Not the climate. Or the land. And not houses like the above - even in a provincial UK city - for anywhere close to that price.
      Fair enough. But even with this, I still would choose the UK over Tasmania for the reasons I've stated. To me, it's just a sensible, logical choice.

I just see it as you guys having something special and great in the UK and many of us in North America envy with a great deal and would do anything to have at our fingertips. Money isn't everything in life.
      Last edited by Canada2Australia; 19-12-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Title
      Liked
      161 times
      Rep
      To each there own. Everyone is different and has differenct wants out of life.

•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast