When is the best time to come over to Australia?

lknights1987

About to book some time off work to come over to Australia next year. I'm looking at booking 3 weeks off possibly during October/November. What time of year would you recommend coming over?

Me and my girlfriend are looking at flying into Sydney and then returning back to London from Sydney too. We are hoping to stay in Sydney for around 3-4 days before either driving or flying up to Brisbane/Whitesunday island for a few days and then make our way up to Ayers rock. I'd also like to fly over to Perth but don't think we will have enough time.

Is this just a holiday or a reccie for potentially living in Australia?

Either way it may make sense to fly into Perth and out of Sydney (or vice versa)

You could maybe take the train from Perth to Sydney if you want to see some of the interior, it takes 4 days but would definitely be part of the holiday.

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/the_indian_pacific/all_inclusive_journeys/

Or you could fly from Perth to Ayers Rock airport spend a day or two there and fly on to Sydney (or to Perth if you start in Sydney)

I am not sure you can comfortably fit Brisbane into the plan too - remember you're going to be wiped out with jetlag for the first few days so I would spend at least a week in the first destination otherwise you are not going to enjoy it.

If it is for a reccie then i would seriously reconsider your plans, if it's just a holiday then enjoy :)

Me and my girlfriend are looking at flying into Sydney and then returning back to London from Sydney too. We are hoping to stay in Sydney for around 3-4 days before either driving or flying up to Brisbane/Whitesunday island for a few days and then make our way up to Ayers rock. I'd also like to fly over to Perth but don't think we will have enough time.

With only three weeks, do not drive anywhere - it will take too long! Do you realise the distance from Brisbane to the Whitsundays is FURTHER than the distance from Sydney to Brisbane? You'll be much better off flying, or you will run out of time.

Is this just a holiday or a reccie for potentially living in Australia?

Either way it may make sense to fly into Perth and out of Sydney (or vice versa)

You could maybe take the train from Perth to Sydney if you want to see some of the interior, it takes 4 days but would definitely be part of the holiday.

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/the_indian_pacific/all_inclusive_journeys/

Or you could fly from Perth to Ayers Rock airport spend a day or two there and fly on to Sydney (or to Perth if you start in Sydney)

I am not sure you can comfortably fit Brisbane into the plan too - remember you're going to be wiped out with jetlag for the first few days so I would spend at least a week in the first destination otherwise you are not going to enjoy it.

If it is for a reccie then i would seriously reconsider your plans, if it's just a holiday then enjoy :)

Thanks for your response. Ideally both a reccie and holiday. We are hoping to speak to a few recruitment agencies whilst out there to find out whether or not we have a good chance gaining employment if we decided to emigrate.

The train journey sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info :)

Septober is the best time to see the Whitsundays and Uluru. Octember is getting too hot for the desert as temps will be up around 36/38C.

A drive from Brissie to the Whitsundays is as far as Land's End to John O' Groats.

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow that is quite far i think we will fly instead lol it'll probably work out cheaper flying as well.

About to book some time off work to come over to Australia next year. I'm looking at booking 3 weeks off possibly during October/November. What time of year would you recommend coming over?

You could fly into Perth and leave from Brisbane, stopping at uluru and Sydney. If you got a round the world ticket it could work out cheaper.

Wow that is quite far i think we will fly instead lol it'll probably work out cheaper flying as well.

Not necessarily are flights are quite expensive in Australia. STA Travel used to do flight packages which worked out quite cheap.

I would advise you to do some research into emigrating before you leave. The very first thing you must do is work out whether you'd even be eligible for a visa. Do you understand that even if you can get sponsored by an employer, your occupation MUST be on the SOL or CSOL list? If it's not, then they can't employ you and you can't get a visa, full stop - so it would be a complete waste of precious holiday time to talk to recruiters.

On the other hand, if it turns out you CAN get a visa, and you're serious about moving, then you should be spending those three weeks researching, not having a holiday. How are you going to decide which state or city you want to move to? Recruiters in Sydney won't know about the job prospects in other states (you wouldn't expect recruiters in London to know how the market is in Edinburgh, would you?), and you should also check out housing in the places you're considering.

Hi anytime between October to March is good for weather.

No...if they are going up north these are the humid/rainy/cyclone season months - and very hot inland even if it's not humid.

I'd second Bobj's suggestion of September - much more pleasant for the Whitsundays and Uluru and very pleasant everywhere else they are considering.

Thanks for your response. Ideally both a reccie and holiday. We are hoping to speak to a few recruitment agencies whilst out there to find out whether or not we have a good chance gaining employment if we decided to emigrate.

The train journey sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info :)

Then I suggest you drop the 'tourist' parts such as Uluru and Whitsundays and concentrate purely on places you may live. There will be plenty of other holidays if you do move to Australia to see those places.

Personally I wouldn't waste your time with recruitment agencies, they are interested in filling current vacancies with available candidates and they work on commission so are unlikely to spend precious time with you. If you are a strong candidate they may do so to get you on their books in the future but don't expect to get a truthful answer on your chances. There may be things you can do to start gaining a professional network though, it really depends on what you do.

No...if they are going up north these are the humid/rainy/cyclone season months - and very hot inland even if it's not humid.

I'd second Bobj's suggestion of September - much more pleasant for the Whitsundays and Uluru and very pleasant everywhere else they are considering.

They said they were going Sydney and Brisbane hence my comment as I have found that time of year nice in those areas. However I am not sure how/if they can fit in north as well in such little amount of time.

• 1 month later...