Life in Australia, - living in Darwin and Brisbane

Hello,

I am a 20 year old male, I was born in Kent but moved to Aus when I was only 6 so really I don't remember much of home. I moved out to Brisbane Australia with my family in 2001, I absolutely loved living in Brisbane, the weather the people and the sport etc... I left Brisbane with my family to move to Darwin in the NT, when I first got to Darwin I hated it, I couldn't stand the heat, I couldn't stand the smallness of the place (if that makes sense), I always wanted to move back to Brisbane as I missed my friends and life etc... A couple of years ago I started to really enjoy living in Darwin, possibly due to the fact I turned 18 and had the freedom, unfortunately we had by that time already set out to leave. We moved back to Brisbane in March of last year (2014). And I must say Brisbane has changed so much, I feel completely loss, my friends have all gone off and done their own thing, and I feel like I'm in a place which is to big for me. The worst thing is job finding in Brisbane is a nightmare, I wouldn't exactly call myself a genius but my god it feels like you have to be in Brisbane to find a simple job.

I turn 21 in February, I am planning on making my way back upto Darwin, I miss my friends and the small friendly community. A lot of people will tell you that Darwin has nothing going for it, but you don't know what you had until it's gone, Darwin is a great place to live, always something on.

thanks for listening to my rant :). If you have any questions on Brisbane or Darwin please don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Dappo13

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Emma,

Palmerston is the area in which I lived while I lived in the Territory.

Palmerston is a relatively small area although it has a lot in the area, there is a lot of development in housing and new shops being built all the time, it is only a short 15 minute or so drive from the Darwin City CBD. If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to drive.

Edited by Dappo13

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, where in Palmerston did you live? Is there anywhere you would recommend more than others, I have been told to look at the newer area's such as Roseberry, Bakewell & Johnston. We need somewhere that has good public transport, walking distance to schools, shops and parks etc as have 3 kids.

Also what is public transport like around these areas and into the city, i do drive but wont be buying a car straight away.

Thanks Emma

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, where in Palmerston did you live? Is there anywhere you would recommend more than others, I have been told to look at the newer area's such as Roseberry, Bakewell & Johnston. We need somewhere that has good public transport, walking distance to schools, shops and parks etc as have 3 kids.

Also what is public transport like around these areas and into the city, i do drive but wont be buying a car straight away.

I would suggest you need to rethink that. I remember when we first arrived in Australia, the very first thing we had to do was buy a car - the day after we arrived - because it was just impossible to get around without one. Palmerston is a self-sufficient little town with a good shopping centre, but it's some distance from Darwin.

http://www.transport.nt.gov.au/public/bus/darwin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @paras you have more choice of schools in Brisbane however the principal of my sons old school left Cairns to set up a new school Prep - Yr 12 in Darwin and we were tempted to follow her because she is an excellent principal. 

I have no idea with education but enjoyed my time in Darwin in the late nineties. But there is a reason so many houses maintain large dogs there and it is not for show. Darwin is small, but remarkably international with so many overseas visitors during the season. It is hardly cheap though. But good news the suburb of Palmerston, mentioned in earlier posts has seen considerable price reductions in housing. Up to 45% I believe. Population is moving out as jobs dry up post boom conditions.

It does get very hot. But still swam during season and the sunset markets at the beach are great during season, if a bit tourist related. There's some great Asian food found up there and other markets now established in the burbs which provide a bit of mid week relief and community focus.