Floods in the UK

calNgary

A friend sent me a newspaper link about the floods in her area. Evacuations have taken place and it is urging people to keep an eye on water levels if they are in or around Carlisle ctr. There are over 100 flood warnings and more than 70 alerts in place for Northern England....Stay safe everyone

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/evacuation-starts-as-floods-to-top-carlisle-defences-1.1231353

Cal x

A friend sent me a newspaper link about the floods in her area. Evacuations have taken place and it is urging people to keep an eye on water levels if they are in or around Carlisle ctr. There are over 100 flood warnings and more than 70 alerts in place for Northern England....Stay safe everyone

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/evacuation-starts-as-floods-to-top-carlisle-defences-1.1231353

Cal x

My home city of Lancaster has been badly affected, my SIL lives in a small village outside of the City that has been totally cut off. Hope everyone stays safe.

Seems like most of Lancashire is copping it. The River Wyre at garstang is flooding as is the Lune in lancaster and the Ribble in Preston. Someone I know who lives on the seafront at Cleveleys has been evacuated along with many others. Rain coinciding with a storm surge of the tide apparently

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/storms-update-residents-warned-of-flood-risk-to-homes-1-7608806

Seems like most of Lancashire is copping it. The River Wyre at garstang is flooding as is the Lune in lancaster and the Ribble in Preston. Someone I know who lives on the seafront at Cleveleys has been evacuated along with many others. Rain coinciding with a storm surge of the tide apparently

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local/storms-update-residents-warned-of-flood-risk-to-homes-1-7608806

I have never seen the Lune so high. Some of the photos I have seen from family members have been unreal.

It's pretty bad here. We're ok - we're on a hill, but the Tyne has broken it's banks and the flood defences. Everywhere we walk the dog is over head deep in water! It's an incredible sight.

I took my daughter into Newcastle last night and the main road was fine on the way in, but coming back only an hour later it was closed in two places. I had to be let through one of the blocks to get home. We had to leave our daughter in Newcastle (where there was barely a drop of rain!) because we couldn't get out to pick her up!

I felt so sorry for all the people from the police, environment agency, road maintenance and Fire service who were all having to work in it to keep everyone safe. It was horrendous weather.

Its calmer this morning, but as someone else says, the flooding will get worse before it gets better.

this is what the Tyne where we live usually looks like in winter

image.jpg

This is what it looked like yesterday

image.jpg

My my husband was fishing here four weeks ago

image.jpg

Same place today

image.jpg

And this is where I often walk the dog. We walk next to this wall, which is almost shoulder high, and can't see the river behind the trees. By 5pm it had breached this defence, poor people who live here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

BIL lives in Levens- is that ok?

Kendal has had it pretty bad but I think Levens is far enough away from the river to be OK. However looking at the map after I posted that it might be worth a quick message to them to check they are OK as depending on where they are in the village they could be close to some water.

Edited by northernbird