Racist Work Ethics in the NT

Huntersmummy

Good afternoon my beauties. (Below is MY experience and not meant to offend)

Now being in darwin for the best part of 6 weeks. Im sick to death already and want to go home. I try not to be a defeatist but COME ONNNNN!!!

So I've been rejected 8 times in (6 weeks) and had some absolutely brilliant excuses why people won't hire me:

"You don't look pet friendly" (This was applying for a dog walker)

"You can't name the Top 10 games at the moment, we're not interested" (I applied for a games store assistant)

"English speaking women just flirt and drink and don't get on with the work" (I applied to make pizzas...)

"I even applied for a cleaner but got rejected because "I might drink of the job" !!!!! WTF

Now the hubby is the qualified one, i just work my arse off doing "jobs that pay the bills"

NO ONE is interested and I'm genuinely convinced, its because I'm a scot, with a dodgy english accent. :cool:

All jokes aside, we can't live off hubby wages. Even then he had it tough getting a job because he's english. We might have to come back home.

Now in the UK, the line "No jobs available in the UK because of the foreigners" is chucked around a lot. Now the shoe is on the other foot, I know what that feels like having that line chucked at me. :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia is weird like that:mad: they like you to have arrived freshly off the plane, with a couple of years Aus experience:confused:

there will always be one reason or another, for me when I first arrived it was because I was a spouse on a 457 holders visa. No company seemed to know that I had full working rights.

If there are Aussies who are out of work and employers prefer to give jobs to locals/Aussies is that racist ?

I'm not sure.

Out of the three examples given, only one was due to nationality - a reminder of the list, as you appear to have missed it the first time:

"You can't name the Top 10 games at the moment, we're not interested" (I applied for a games store assistant)

"English speaking women just flirt and drink and don't get on with the work" (I applied to make pizzas...)

Edited by vickyplum

Btw I don't think they are racist ethics, just maybe they have employed people before, who were only in nt for WHV reasons, so partying, not working was the ethic.

Im in Perth and don't feel being a pom is a disadvantage .

I think work has dried up in a lot of places in Aus, just like it did in the UK.

I think also Darwin may be a tough nut to crack work wise. Perhaps more so for casual work. Its a small place, backpackers, kids in HS and so on all competing for a limited amount of jobs. And perhaps not the professionalism you have come to expect in the job market or those hiring. Have to say, even elsewhere the lack of hearing anything back when applying for jobs is frustrating but it seems they get so many applicants now if you don't hear thats normal. You take it as not considered. And the job market for casual work can be frustrating anywhere.

Have you thought to register for an ABN and set yourself up doing whatever?

Also are you tied to the NT with your visa or could you move elsewhere in Aus to try? Seems a shame to have done all this and be ready to call it quits so soon. I know not working and getting knocked back make it tough but you could land a job next week or next month that turns it all around for you.

Guest The Pom Queen

Darwin is a small area with high unemployment, very much like FNQ. It doesn't matter whether you are black, blue, pink or white, Australian, English, Scottish, Indian etc, there are only so many jobs. In FNQ it's quite sure at the moment and all the jobs seem to be going to the backpackers especially in Cairns and I suspect Darwin is the same. Why employ someone full time when you can hire a casual backpacker to do the work at half the cost, yes most are still being paid cash in hand.

Guest The Pom Queen

Also Hun, six weeks isn't a long time at all. You will be feeling at your lowest anyway so obviously these rejections aren't going to help. Don't take it personal. Remember all the Yr12's have just broke up so you will be competing against them as well at this time of year.

Think about being back home, do you think you could have secured a new job so quickly?

The games store one is fair enough, why would they hire someone with no interest/knowledge in the product?

The dog walker one is a bit weird - did you push for a reason? Sounds like someone made that up on the spot.

Pizza worker one sounds like they have bad experience with backpackers. Are you young/mistaken as a backpacker?

Good afternoon my beauties. (Below is MY experience and not meant to offend)

Now being in darwin for the best part of 6 weeks. Im sick to death already and want to go home. I try not to be a defeatist but COME ONNNNN!!!

So I've been rejected 8 times in (6 weeks) and had some absolutely brilliant excuses why people won't hire me:

"I even applied for a cleaner but got rejected because "I might drink of the job" !!!!! WTF

Now the hubby is the qualified one, i just work my arse off doing "jobs that pay the bills"

NO ONE is interested and I'm genuinely convinced, its because I'm a scot, with a dodgy english accent. :cool:

All jokes aside, we can't live off hubby wages. Even then he had it tough getting a job because he's english. We might have to come back home.

Now in the UK, the line "No jobs available in the UK because of the foreigners" is chucked around a lot. Now the shoe is on the other foot, I know what that feels like having that line chucked at me. :(

Unless you are a Scot of Afro/Caribbean or Asian background difficult to find it racist, just playing with you or at most, uncouth Bogan/Ocker behaviour.

I like Darwin and lived there way back in 97. It was back pacers central then. Must admit there was a bit of a thing between locals and back packers at times though. You could be lucky or unlucky. A Dutch guy I knew got teased to the point of bullying, where as his girlfriend, a black Dutch, in another job, had a totally different experience.

Some Aussies will just wind you up when you know your just off the boat. A guess a Scottish accent stands out somewhat, but you won't have to endure that in an office like environment. There are laws if picked on due to nationality, race and so on.

Some of the more stupid things like the dog walking, just dismiss it for the ignorant comment it is if unable to think of a quick retort. Remember Aussies in country areas tend to be more blunt, don't take it personally unless clearly is, besides six weeks is not long. Your still a babe at these things.

Remember also that Darwin need not be long term. But saying that it is very unique. Nowhere else in Australia is like it. Make the most of it with the knowledge it is only for a period.

Good luck with finding something. I worked in the sales area up there. Done very well. Saying that couldn't get a darn thing in Cairns/Townsville over a period of well over three months. Nothing that would pay anyway. All set up for cheap labour, non complaining back packers, which was the reason moved to Darwin.

Are there any blue or pink people ??

Me in the winter and me in the summer....

To the OP, don't let it put you off everyone,m sounds like you've had some bad luck so far but let's face it, you wouldn't want to work for people like that anyway! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll find somewhere that will appreciate you and you'll be happy working for them. Being in a job where you hate going in every day is sometimes worse than no job at all! If you're good at cleaning, consider getting an ABN and working independently.

Me in the winter and me in the summer....

To the OP, don't let it put you off everyone,m sounds like you've had some bad luck so far but let's face it, you wouldn't want to work for people like that anyway! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll find somewhere that will appreciate you and you'll be happy working for them. Being in a job where you hate going in every day is sometimes worse than no job at all! If you're good at cleaning, consider getting an ABN and working independently.

Sadly though so many people do things if not hating, dislike going to every morning. Many put on a brave voice and best foot forward, but would sooner be free and doing something and being some place they want to be in.

I would second the suggestion of considering getting an ABN, simple enough online.

Do you have a tax file number??

There is cleaning (and other) work out there but to be self employed you really need your own gear and insurance. Some places do 'cashies' but anyone with any sense knows the dangers of that so you either have to provide a tax invoice or tax file number and get paid through the books.

Have you asked around motels and hotels they often need casual cleaners but they often want experience, professional cleaning is very different from housework and it's hard work, they want speed and attention to detail.

Cold calling to businesses can be counter productive, personally I get irritated when people come here unannounced and expect me to give them attention without any consideration for how busy I may be. So put yourself in the other person situation, people often don't like cold calls so you will have to use your judgement on that.

Do you have something to leave if you do call into places, I am not saying a 'war and peace' CV just a one page contact details sheet including tax file number and email contact, most will go straight into the bin (with the junk mail) but there may be some that get put onto a notice board for future reference.

Some places also want a police check, not sure if you can get that for yourself.

There are always people who succeed in getting work, even in a hard job market. Even for basic unskilled work attitude and image are often more important than qualifications and experience.

No one owes anyone a living so it's up to you to keep trying in appropriate, realistic ways.

As for asking for explanations for rejection, I would warn against that, it's unlikely you will get the truth anyway and no one owes you an explanation. Imagine if someone asked you for a date and you said 'no' would you appreciate being interrogated as to why.

I would second the suggestion of considering getting an ABN, simple enough online.

Do you have a tax file number??

There is cleaning (and other) work out there but to be self employed you really need your own gear and insurance. Some places do 'cashies' but anyone with any sense knows the dangers of that so you either have to provide a tax invoice or tax file number and get paid through the books.

Have you asked around motels and hotels they often need casual cleaners but they often want experience, professional cleaning is very different from housework and it's hard work, they want speed and attention to detail.

Cold calling to businesses can be counter productive, personally I get irritated when people come here unannounced and expect me to give them attention without any consideration for how busy I may be. So put yourself in the other person situation, people often don't like cold calls so you will have to use your judgement on that.

Do you have something to leave if you do call into places, I am not saying a 'war and peace' CV just a one page contact details sheet including tax file number and email contact, most will go straight into the bin (with the junk mail) but there may be some that get put onto a notice board for future reference.

Some places also want a police check, not sure if you can get that for yourself.

There are always people who succeed in getting work, even in a hard job market. Even for basic unskilled work attitude and image are often more important than qualifications and experience.

No one owes anyone a living so it's up to you to keep trying in appropriate, realistic ways.

As for asking for explanations for rejection, I would warn against that, it's unlikely you will get the truth anyway and no one owes you an explanation. Imagine if someone asked you for a date and you said 'no' would you appreciate being interrogated as to why.

I disagree with the highlighted statement. I think it can be valuable to ask for feedback. For instance the OP has learned that applying for a job somewhere and not knowing anything about it probably won't be looked on favourably. Hopefully she will do some research before future interviews.

As I understand it the explanation that you can't work in a gaming store, if you don't know about current games, was information that was volunteered rather than extracted and, let's face it, it's pretty obvious that a job like like requires a person will a real interest in the purpose of the store.

There are many reasons people won't employ you (or go out with you) how often do we tell a person, truthfully, why we don't include them in our social invites, unless we want to hurt their feelings.

if you have ever been an employer you will have learnt to be careful what you say, not just because of potential legal trouble but rejectiion can make people very angry, who wants a confrontation.

Personally I wouldn't employ someone who smokes, I don't have to ask someone if they smoke it's obvious but I am not going to say because I don't want a smoking argument.

If someone turned up wearing a cross, that's off putting for me, if someone feels the need to portray their religious affiliations to me it's not going to work, one of the most (if not the most) important things in a work place is that people get along, that they fit in.

As for someone using me as research for their job hunt, seriously, this idea that complete strangers owe us something is one of the problems. If I liked the person and I thought I could offer a suggestions that would be welcome and helpful I might but don't demand or expect it.

Let's say to be 'helpful' I suggested someone got their teeth fixed or changed their hair, do you think I might get a punch in the mouth :- ) best not risk it, if your wife askes 'does my bum look big in this' what do you say...

I have often heard people complain about not being called back, that is a misguided attitude in my view, you are expecting time and effort from a person who owes you nothing. Like those cold callers who phone when you are eating dinner, bet you love all that, especially when they act like you owe them something.

Look at the other persons perspective, it's not all about you.

Sounds to me like you are being very random in your job search, why did you apply to be a dog walker, do you have an affection for dogs and experience with them, would you walk into a child care centre and expect a job without suitable qualifications or experience ?? Why did you apply to a gaming store when your could not name the top games - get real.

Are you being honest with yourself, do you know why you are being rejected but pretending not to.

When someone says 'does my bum look big in this' they know the answer they just pretend they don't and they want you to lie to them so they can fell better for a few hours, what is there to gain from saying 'yes it does'.

Edited by Country vic

Personally i don't think it's your accent or nationality although i don't know the NT. Our vineyard hires all sorts from all over the world England, Scotland, Italy,Japan, Ireland, Estonia, Germany, Tawian, France just to name a few it really doesn't matter if they're prepared to do the work and give it a good go they're welcome. Some have lasted others not depends largely on their attitude and to a point on how the handle the heat and the hours. Keep trying i'm sure something will turn up Good luck.

I disagree with the highlighted statement. I think it can be valuable to ask for feedback. For instance the OP has learned that applying for a job somewhere and not knowing anything about it probably won't be looked on favourably. Hopefully she will do some research before future interviews.

Agree with you 100%, always ask for feedback on any interview if unsuccessful. It helps you grow and prepare for the next (and hopefully) successful interview.

You've only applied for 8 jobs and it's only been 6 weeks, I would be surprised if you'd landed a job in such a short time in a place like Darwin. It's a fairly small town with fairly high unemployment, and you're looking for fairly unskilled work. So I think it's too early to give up.

I agree that the games store reason was perfectly reasonable - they want someone who knows about gaming. The others are ridiculous but I wonder if they're genuine?

You say your accent is "dodgy" - how "dodgy"? Many Australians have a terrible problem understanding accents, they are not used to hearing them so they've never developed an "ear" for them. My oh is Australian and he often struggles to understand all the regional accents on TV in the UK. I have to interpret!

If you're applying to serve in a shop, they may be worried that customers won't be able to understand you. I know it's the fashion in the UK now to be proud of your accent and not attempt to moderate it - but in Australia, you really need to try to file the edges off it. Not because of prejudice, but simply so you can carry on a conversation easily!

Edited by Marisawright