Essentials to bring :)

vicky2015

Hi just found this thread and it's interesting to read. I moved to Oz with my parents in 1994 and they took everything, other than electricals and our beds. My grandmother advised it wasn't a good idea to take beds as the fibres in the mattresses are different and would generally make you feel hotter in Australia! (No idea if she is just a bit crazy [emoji23]). The furniture arrived and it looked horrible in our Aussie house! Just did not go with the decor! But my mother kept it [emoji85].

When I return to Australia next year I am taking nothing via container! No furniture at all. We have stopped replacing things that we otherwise might of if we were staying -like mattresses.

We have invested in 180L suitcases (for 5 of us) which I plan to fill with any little items I really want to take. I am not planning on taking huge amounts of clothes as again different styles and seasons! I know when I moved my clothes seemed very strange to my new friends!! [emoji85] although the Internet helps bridge that gap now!

Having lived in both countries I think it is good to embrace their way of life and become accustomed to buying in Australia. Things like school shoes/bags etc... Take note what the other kids have, although I don't want to encourage sheeplike children, it's kinda good to fit in when you first arrive and not awkwardly stand out! I was forever known as the kid with the spotty bag! Hot Tuna school bags were all the rage and I had a spotty cloth one [emoji85] the shame! Lol x

Everyone is different but I see it as new life and a new way so embrace it!

Most things date so quickly now that you will probably want to change not long after moving anyway! Save shipping money!!

List of shops to get stuff has been said and is great!

I may reserve one suitcase for my most loved kitchen utensils or random such things but even then I've checked if the same stuff is replaceable in Oz and if it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Clothes can be expensive here, not majorly more than at home but with Brexit & the weakened exchange rate I'd say it's definitely worth stocking up.

The only things I would definitely bring from home is decent gravy & some Paxo stuffing as both are rubbish here!

I treat myself sometimes and buy a Double Decker chocolate bar and some Jelly tots,lol... I do resort to buying PG Tips tea bags at almost $5 a box ,expensive but i prefer them although Tetley come in a close second..

Cal x

@calNgary I've bought a few choccy bars off the English food aisle too! Yummy! Aussie chocolate just isn't the same is it. Have you tried the Dilmah extra strength tea bags? They're really nice.

Does woolies really have an English food aisle now??!! I'm excited! Moving back next year after 13 years back in the UK and there are certain foods I will miss that they never had before! Can you tell me if the you have seen any of these...

Heinz Salad Cream

Jaffa Cakes

KP Skips

They are the 3 things I craved when I lived there before and could never get!

Have to agree English tea and chocolate are much nicer!

Does woolies really have an English food aisle now??!! I'm excited! Moving back next year after 13 years back in the UK and there are certain foods I will miss that they never had before! Can you tell me if the you have seen any of these...

Heinz Salad Cream

Jaffa Cakes

KP Skips

Our local IGA stocks some English products - Jaffa cakes, Club biscuits, Iron Bru, Coles also stock some English items

Heinz Salad Cream

Jaffa Cakes

KP Skips

Salad cream is on the shelf with all the mayos and stuff. Not in a special UK section. Its an aus thing too ;)

Jaffa cakes in UK section, extortionate price. Not seen Skips.

Coles do a better UK swction IMHO. Plus lots of IGA's stock things like Branston, Hellmans mayo and Sarsons vinegar I've noticed.

Salad cream is on the shelf with all the mayos and stuff. Not in a special UK section. Its an aus thing too ;)

Yes. I've been buying Heinz English Style salad cream in Australia for over 35 years. Heinz have always made it and supermarkets have always stocked it.

As you say, it's found in the normal Mayo/Salad Dressing section.

Woolies now do uk recipe kit kats . Miss ginger snaps.. Jaffa cakes here not the ones I liked at home.. Gravy from UK bisto powder...we brought container, so pleased to have home comforts but friends moved with suitcases... Bought from gumtree etc they happy x

• 7 months later...

Germoline (antiseptic and anethetic in one) cream lol  i cant find a suitable replacement for it .

also PROPER CHEESE!. stick it in your hand luggage! it is allowed as long as it's in its sealed packaging .

Oz Tasty and Coon cheese is really not cheese. god knows what it is- makes a hell of a mess in the pans and on washing up sponges!

18 minutes ago, 99redballs said:

Germoline (antiseptic and anethetic in one) cream lol  i cant find a suitable replacement for it .

also PROPER CHEESE!. stick it in your hand luggage! it is allowed as long as it's in its sealed packaging .

Oz Tasty and Coon cheese is really not cheese. god knows what it is- makes a hell of a mess in the pans and on washing up sponges!

Forget about the supermarket cheese.  You can get a huge choice of decent cheeses at any good deli.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the challenges of replacing all your furniture and household items. You  will  need a stack of cash. Youu will start off with no credit rating and if you use a UK card you will cop exchange fees and it's  bloody time consuming. 

Edited by ScottieGirl