So you wanna move to OZ?

Huntersmummy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do actually drink a lot of caffeine-free loose leaf herbal teas. Things like: dandelion, calendula, echinacea, burdock, red clover, stinging nettle, cardamom, ginseng, cleavers, brahmi, rosemary, meadowsweet and ginger.

Oh why doesn't that surprise me, are you for real?

• 2 months later...
Good evening my british chums!

Well after 2 years, we arrived in Darwin a month ago........I used to look through threads to try and get answers, Are there snakes? Is it hot? Price of accommodation? Is it like "Home & Away"? *rolls eyes* So heres a guide on how much dolla dolla cash your gonna have to spill for a life down under!

So heres a rough guide for you novices wanting a better life in OZ.

We went with Immigration 2Oz. Go to the DownUnder centre in london. You can meet John, Warrick and Bianca and Tiffany.

First step we done is £200 to start the process off. They do things in 5 steps, you supplying documents with each step.

Another 2 payments of £400.

Two payments of £800.

One payment of £1000.

In-between these steps was the IELTS Test. (Hahahaha it sucked!) DONT expect to pass first time, its like your driving test. Do it once to get used to it. Husband done it 3rd time.

Now we came on a 489 skilled visa. You have to work for 1 year out of the 2 years then you can apply for residency. We got told 457 visa, you lose your job, you come home. Tough Boobies.

My husband is a chippy and needed to change his qualifications to aussie qualifications. You do that at a centre in dartford. Cost £800ish.

Whitecard. £140ish. YOU NEED IT IF YOUR A TRADE!

Visa cost husband £1850. Me £1200ish. Kids 2x £480 each.

Last stage is done, you get your visa. HURRAY!

Actually no, now the BS starts.

Medicals, we went to the spire centre in brentwood. You CANT go to a pupa or your own doctors. It needs to be a immigration doctor. £350 each. £80ish for each kids.

Police checks you can do online, £40 each ish.

We went with PSS movers. £1400. That was based on 270 square foot. We had to pay a clearance fee of $160 when arrived at OZ. Everyone has to pay that no matter what company your with. So we got told.

Don't bother bringing big furniture. You can get stuff off gumtree. Big W, Kmart and Target do nice new stuff for cheap. Its better to take the personal stuff and save money than bring everything and pay a fortune!

Flights cost us £2800 one way booking on CheapOair. Apparently they don't do "open returns" anymore. So its cheaper buying a oneway.

We booked a months accommodation for £985.70 for 2 adults, 2 kids at the travelodge mirambeena in darwin city. Hotel club.com! Look for "KIDS STAY FREE" Cuts costs down so much!

Getting a house took us 1DAY! No lie, if you go prepared, we took copies of our previous landlords reference and bank statements showing we paid rent. We went with Ray White.

Swapping your drivers license is easy and cost $26. You go to the aussie "DVLA" pass a simple eye test, take a photo and get it there and then! DONT SPEED! Today i went 5mph and got a $200 fine. Not happy. But yeah, watch your speed.

Childcare is just.....bloody hell. *heart attack* Goodstart centres charge $101 for under 2's and $89 for over 2's. A DAY! For 1 DAY!

We buy gas bottles, electric is 3 monthly, 1 water bill is 3 monthly. No council tax if you rent, no tv license. Petrol is cheap. Food is ASTRONOMICAL!! We easily spend $300 on our big shop. $100 every week. Buy a BBQ and shop locally. You'll see loads of stalls at the site of the road. Clothes are stupid expensive. Stock up on Primark clothes before you come! ;)

We haven't actually seen any spiders or snakes. We have tons of lizards and frogs in the garden. Its just about being careful. Mozzies are f&^%ing awful! So are the flies, so buy a citronella candle and a load of fly traps!

Aussie folk are nice. Very blunt and to the point. I kinda get they don't get sarcasm.

I wouldn't personally bring my cat. Its too hot. We've only seen one cat......and it was dead. Or the kids got told it was sleeping, with its eyes out on the grass.....they seemed ok with that. :/

Homesickness hits you hard. I miss irn bru. I miss soreen cake! I miss my local take away! Even thou chinese and indian food is awesome here!

Thats it. If I have anything wrong, please say. This is only my personal experience.

Oh, IM not meant to be racist but the local abbos can be so racist. I got called a "white racist shitbag" on my first night because I never gave him a dollar. I didn't have any money on me! LOL.

Thank you for posting considering that agent have spoken with John, good luck with your new life X

• 4 months later...
Im very sorry for the term "abbo" if used incorrectly. Ive heard it used a lot since being here and thought, naively it was a well used term to describe the locals. Like "pikes" or "chavs" back home. And yes I've read that over and sounds politically incorrect but I'm not being racist! Just a bit thick with words.

I love your honesty!

You'll be fine in Aus.

B

• 1 month later...

Pom is considered racist by some.

Brit is not.

It is odd how some abbreviations are okay eg Aussie while others aren't.

As a rule of thumb it seems to be that if it is a minority group in the country you are in it is considered racist if you abbreviate their name.

Edited by parleycross