Hong Kong Airport and Lounge Use with young children

ClaireChris

On our flights out to Brisbane we have 7 hour wait in HK. We have a 2 & 4 year old and wondered what the children's facilities are like in the airport (we have seen there is a children's TV lounge and a play area) ) and also if anyone with small children had used the lounges and private resting areas. Reviews on the Internet are mixed but not really read anything from travellers with young children. We have an overnight flight from London and then overnight from HK to Brisbane. Any feedback would be helpful :wub:

On our flights out to Brisbane we have 7 hour wait in HK. We have a 2 & 4 year old and wondered what the children's facilities are like in the airport (we have seen there is a children's TV lounge and a play area) ) and also if anyone with small children had used the lounges and private resting areas. Reviews on the Internet are mixed but not really read anything from travellers with young children. We have an overnight flight from London and then overnight from HK to Brisbane. Any feedback would be helpful :wub:

It will be fine, lounge access with QF and Marco Polo fine with kids, 30 mins to get off the connection and 30 mins (say 60 min) to be at the gate for the last leg, only gives you about 5 1/2 to 6 hours, there is plenty to do (i'm guessing you don't want to shop!!) , I used to work for a HK based airline and Chep Lak is one of the better airports to be stranded at with kids, and don't worry what people may have told you, the HK immigration and security are some of the most professional and nicest border staff I've ever had the pleasure to encounter, especially with grumpy children!

I travelled to Oz via HK once with a 2 year old and had a six hour wait between flights too. You can book hotel rooms for six hour slots and the price was quite reasonable and I found this preferable to hanging around the airport. We had the bathroom to freshen up in, my son had a long bubble bath and then went to bed for a few hours whilst I enjoyed a cup of coffee from the hospitality tray, watched some TV (none of it was in English but I did find a music channel) had a bath myself and grabbed a couple of hours sleep in a comfy bed before catching the next flight.