What did you do for a car when you landed in Oz?

Major Tom

For the first three months, we initially lived in the inner suburbs of Sydney, so we used public transport and rented a car as and when we needed it. Overall it was a piece of cake doing it that way, no dramas as the public transport is so good. Then when we moved out of the city we purchased a car, and by that time had figured out what we wanted and many other issues.

Guest Guest66881

Hired one for two weeks while out looking to purchase one among everything else you have to do when first getting here, but yeah wheels and a family are very important.

Personally I wouldn't bother hiring a car.I would pay for the airport transfer,settle into your accomo,then catch a bus to the main car dealerships.Most cities have an area where there are oodles of car sales yards,one after the other,which would give you plenty of choice.You're heading to Berwick,so maybe some posters can suggest which roads in that area have the most car yards.I come from SA,and could easily suggest two main roads which have a lot of car yards,so I'm going to guess Melbournians can do the same for you?Good luck.You could also have a look at the ads in the paper,and gumtree for private sellers,who may be willing (if close by)to come to you.

Rented for a couple of weeks and looking for a car and accommodation was priority upon arrival. Although we stayed in central Sydney, getting around to view houses would just not have been possible without a car, house viewings are usually 30 minutes apart, not enough time on public transport.

Whats the best plan for a car when you land, did you go and buy a cheap run around, or rent for a couple weeks?

I need a 7 seater, so they would be quite expensive to rent I would think?

Cheers MT

We ordered a car from a main dealer on the internet and had it delivered to the airport to meet us off our flight. Still have the same car 8 years later!

BB