Move to Tasmania

hansi

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to know about job opportunities for geologists. As I got an offer from University of Tasmania we (my husband + 13 months old baby + myself) would like to move there.

Thanks.

Dont really understand your question. You mean you got an offer at a place at university and the other will be looking for work as a 20 hours per week geologist in Tasmania? Or do you mean what are opportunities like for after your course? I believe @VERYSTORMY might know something about that occupation.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am a geologist here in Australia.

The situation for geologists is pretty grim at the moment. At the moment one in four mining geologists in Australia is unemployed. For exploration geologists it is now 40% unemployed.

Tasmania has a mining industry, but it is fairly small compared to WA and Queensland which would be a limiting factor again. In fact over my years in Australia, most Tasmania based geologists have had to look for work in other states and that was even when the industry was doing well.

As a result I would say it would be extremely difficult for your husband to find work as a geologist in the current economic downturn within the mining industry.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply VERYSTORMY

I understand the situation. My husband is an Engineering Geologist particularly.

Slightly different, though I think his opportunities would still be fairly limited. I would check out seek.com.au to get an idea of what is out there, though I just had a quick look and there is not a single geology role currently advertised for Tasmania, I have also checked the main international geology jobs web site for you (infomine) and there is not a single job on there either.

Engineering geologists here mainly work in mining. They are not as big in other projects such as civil work as they are in many other countries. I am guessing that India is like the UK where engineering geologists work on things like rail, civil engineering, tunnels and things. But, in Oz, they don't recognise engineering geologists for that sort of work. Instead, they insist on civil engineers. It is very frustrating - I am able to do geo engineering as well, but even in WA, I could not get a role.

If it is of any help, Christchurch in New Zealand are desperate for geo engineers at the moment. Also, most of the UK is desperate for them.

I'm a engineering geologist and I can categorically state that the majority of us work in the geotechnical and civil fields, any mining work is generally related to construction projects, or occasionally doing stuff like helping out with the blasting programs and ventilation shafts as exploration geologists don't log core to engineering Standards.

I will agree that engineering geology is not as widely recognised in Australia as in Europe, and there isn't a recognised professional accreditation scheme like CGeol here, you find you can apply for things like CPGeot or CPGeo through AusIMM but as they have no legal standing it's paying money for letters.

Effectively though, many jobs advertising for a geotechnical engineer will also allow applications for engineering geologists, with the main difference (which may, or may not be a problem) that you probably aren't eligible for CEng or (in QLD) RPEQ signatory status, this means you basically have to get all your work certified by someone who has an engineering degree which is all that matters according to Engineers Australia - I have a measure of bitterness over this; geotech engineers know sweet FA about rocks and yet I have to have my work certified by one because none of my multiple degrees have "eng" in the title.

If your husband familiarises himself with AS1726, which is based on BS5930 but slightly different then he'll have a good start. Other Standards I recommend getting a handle on so he can name drop in interviews would be AS2159 (piling code), AS3798 (earthworks) and AS2870 (slabs and footings).

All the usual suspects will employ eng geos readily; Douglas, Coffey, GHD, my lot etc, you'd have to check websites to see where the jobs are and if there's active recruiting in Tasmania. If you want give me a PM and I'll see if I can give any pointers.

• 3 months later...
I'm living in Tasmania, aren't many jobs around for me and other find it very hard to get accepted, depending on the job. Burnie is the highest unemployed in Australia and won't get better for the next 20 years.

Yes, I agree. I wanted to live in Tasmania for years but we had good jobs in Sydney and it seemed hard to find the same kind of work here so put off moving until we retired.