Fridges and freezers

Bound4Tassie

I had thought we wouldn't bother bringing our uk fridge freezer and under counter freezer but as they're quite new and decent makes I'm wondering whether to. I have read/ heard before UK ones don't cope in Aus but Tas isn't like the mainland heat wise so I'm thinking maybe these items are worth hanging on to. Any advice from Tasmanians?

The only thing I found was the built in space for the fridge or fridge freezer is its way bigger than a UK skinny one will fill. They go the wider ones here.

I don't think there's any difference to be honest. Personally I wouldn't bother shipping them half way round the world as you can get brand new ones here for not much more than you'll pay to ship them. Same with all white goods. When we moved over we looked at the cost of a 40' container and had a long hard think about whether it was worth shipping most of our stuff. In the end we decided it was a much better investment to go for a Move Cube for 1000 pounds for the essentials and buy the rest of the stuff new here.

Not sure on the sizes of a Move cube yet but if we have room in the one we get then we may as well take the white goods. I was just thinking about whether they ' cope' in Aus . Seems they do.

They do. To be honest, aside from a few stonkingly hot days in summer, temperatures in Tasmania and Southern Victoria aren't a million miles off summer and spring days in the UK. It'd be rare that the inside your house went over 25C.

Not sure on the sizes of a Move cube yet but if we have room in the one we get then we may as well take the white goods. I was just thinking about whether they ' cope' in Aus . Seems they do.

White goods won't fit in a Movecube if you plan on bringing lots of stuff. The largest is still only small compared to a 20ft container.

We used the largest movecube and it was mostly personal effects. Furniture wise we got in our KS bed frame and mattress, a set of drawers (not tall), a small chair we took apart, a wooden blanket box and a wardrobe we flat packed. The rest was boxes in tea chest and half tea chest size and that was clothes, bedding, toys, books, kitchen stuff etc. One small kids bike, a few random items, hubbys golf clubs and it was full to the brim. It honestly isn't the size to fit half a house contents plus personal effects. Its more for if you have a few items of furniture and then boxes to ship. So if you want to ship a lot of furniture and white goods plus personal effects, get quotes for a container. You could get 2 movecubes but by the time you factor in shipping costs, insurance and fees and actual cubic feet, it still won't match a 20ft container. Plus you have to load and unload yourself. And they may not deliver to where you are going in Aus so that ends it before its begun IYKWIM.

One thing I will say thinking about it I am not sure where the under counter freezer might go in the average house. Having looked at loads when we were buying, there isn't room in the average house for such an item generally. Not under a kitchen worktop and laundry rooms don't often have room for such a thing either. Our laundry doesn't have a worktop as it has a stupid top loader. And we have a big wide tall freezer next to it (rather than a tumble dryer) that is a good 1.60m tall. But if we had a tumble dryer we'd have no room for the freezer and I want that more.

If you had a small under counter fridge, that could then be used as a bar fridge outside in summer but I really don't know such a small freezer would find a home easily. Unless you had a big laundry with space under a counter or no counter to worry about and room along the wall for it (and many houses laundries are not that big or wide enough to have things on both sides of the room). Could get stored it in the shed or some such. Just a though anyways.

If you have room bring them. While I agree with snifter that they won't necessarily fit nicely in the kitchen I don't think it's a big issue, at least to start with. When we first moved we had a fridge and a freezer just sat against the wall in the dining space and another, under counter fridge in the kitchen. The under counter fridge was a bit small for the space but the other fridge was too big so the under counter fridge won. And the microwave lived on top. When we moved to our new house we bought a large, plumbed in fridge freezer with water and ice dispenser that fit perfectly in the space we had built for it. The spare freezer went in the laundry (again designed specifically to fit the freezer and washing machine in side by side) and the fridges got sold on eBay for quite a good price.

Thanks, we'll have to look closely at the sizes of the cubes. We really don't have that much to fill a 20' container, so I'm loathe to pay for a quarter full one!! In my husband house in Tas there was a garage/ utility rm under the house which could easily house the freezer as well but obviously it will depend on the design of the house we rent. Initially we can put up with a less than ideal living arrangement, then if we're buying we can decide to keep these items or buy new.

( we're in a furnished rented place at the mo so not much of it is ours to bring.)

Edited by Bound4Tassie