To build or buy?

Guest mandy1

Hi all

Okay my question is when we get to Oz is it better to buy a property or have one built? My oh seems quite keen on the idea of buying a plot and getting a house built to our specs he's also been told that its cheaper. Me on the other hand can only see dust and dirt ahead! I'd prefer to just buy a house and that be that. So does anyone have any opinions on which is better, cheaper etc..

Mandy x

Hi,

where we are going it is cheaper to buy a old house than a bran new one.. And also with the old ones you get alot more land.. That is what we noticed when we were there, but it is something we will have to wait andd see when we are living there.. Also prob depends on the area as well just like the UK..:wub:

The land plots aren't too large it seems for new builds. My friend and her husband signed up for a new house to be built in May - it May get started in Novemeber (or it may not!), house building here is rather slow I'm afraid. Also remember that unless it's a land and house package, you have to add the cost of the land which can run into a few hundred $ too.

We've bought an older property because we wanted to live in this area and it's very establised - but it's each to his own and like alex says depends where you want to live, some areas don't have many new builds.

Ali

Archived