Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep

A380-worth paying extra for?

I have been looking at booking flights tonight for January. I am looking at flying Singapore airlines, and was looking at the difference in flight prices depending on the many times of the day they fly. It seems the flights where the longest flight is the A380 it goes up by just over 700 for the 4 of us, or if we fly the following week then 500 more.
      Otherwise it will be the 777, which from what I read is not as roomy.

Hubby just wants the cheapest flight but I'm not so sure!

Any opinions on the planes would be great. I'm a really nervous flyer so would like to be as comfy as we can (I know that's a big ask on such a long flight!!)

Applying for 189 visa. IELTS (L:9.0 R:8.5 W:8.0 S:8.5 Overall:8.5):23/01/15
      TRA sent:16/02/15 Positive skills assessment:11/06/15 EOI:12/06/15 Invite:03/08/15 Visa lodged:04/08/15 Grant:​22/09/15

Flights booked to Adelaide 12th Jan 2016

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1732 times
      Rep
      I love the A380 - always pleased when I get to travel in one - But if it's cattle class the difference in comfort will be negligible. I'd save the money, get a long stopover in Singapore and check into the Transit hotel overnight if you can time it right - have a sleep, shower and break and then on with your journey!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      5138 times
      Rep
      The plane itself isn't the only factor, the same plane will have different seat sizes and pitch depending on the airline. For a real comparison have a look at the Seatguru website.

We flew with Singapore airlines on an A380 and it was the best economy class I have ever flown, having power at your seat is a big plus and the Singapore airlines service was second to none but the service will be the same regardless of the plane.
      A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it - George Moore

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      3570 times
      Rep
      Never come across paying extra for the A380 before, however Singapore has 2 configurations for the A380, if you can get the one with the 60 or so economy seats upstairs, then this is the better place to be, though you could well have to pay a little extra for theses seats. Booking direct with the airline gives you the better chance for your choice of seats too.
      The four things I look for are - Price, Airline, plane, and timings, and filter things in/out to suit our preferences, we are prepared to pay a little more if the timings are good as we prefer to get there asap and only have stop-overs if making it part of the holiday for a couple of days or so.
      Happy & safe travels.

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      I'd fly the Singapore route on the A380 every time if I could.

Last trip I flew via Dubia with Emirates. The leg between Dubai and London was fine, A380, bit more room, quieter engines. Then spent 13 hours on a 777 that was noticably more cramped, noisier engines and as we were flying at night, more unpleasant to snooze on.

Much prefer the longer leg each way to Singapore, then less time on a 777 to Aus. I don't remember the A380 flights costing that much more compared to other ones tbh. Seems a bit of a price hike.

TBH, its 24 hours travelling. Its not the end of the world if you are uncomfortable or have the noise of the engines. But given a choice, I know what I would opt for ;)

Or do as suggested, go the cheaper flight and have an overnight stop over at the airport at Changi and pay for a room in the transit hotel and have a proper sleep for 8 hours. Then make use of the swimming pool in T1 (easy to get to from other terminals) and have a dip in the open air on the roof (we were swimming at 9pm at night and it was bliss. We always make sure to have at least a 4 hour stopover at Changi so we can swim. Don't ever use the transit hotel though). Then you'll have some time to wander before boarding for the last leg to Aus. So long as your stop over is a good 8 hours plus, longer is fine if you wanted to head into Singapore for one of the tours. Easy to do, just check timings. Some flights have 18-30 hour layovers.

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith and Linda View Post
      Never come across paying extra for the A380 before
      It's probably simply a case that the more popular flights are operated by the A380, and being popular the cheaper fare classes are sold out. For example, with SQ...the SIN-LHR that departs around midnight is one of the busiest flights on the network...it's often sold out or more expensive than the daytime departures.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      3570 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
      It's probably simply a case that the more popular flights are operated by the A380, and being popular the cheaper fare classes are sold out. For example, with SQ...the SIN-LHR that departs around midnight is one of the busiest flights on the network...it's often sold out or more expensive than the daytime departures.
      I know and understand that, but it is not just because it is the A380 as the OP was saying.

Title
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith and Linda View Post
      I know and understand that, but it is not just because it is the A380 as the OP was saying.
      It makes sense the A380 cheap seats flights sell out quicker. Much nicer way to travel. I'd agree its not just because its the A380.

We booked about 6 months in advance last time we flew Singapore and there really wasn't anything in it price wise. They were all coming in at around the same price regardless over the few week window we wanted to fly out in.

I guess booking closer to departure and also the time of year then lots of flights would book out quicker and those seats then get more expensive.

Title
      Adrift on memory bliss..
      Liked
      1753 times
      Rep
      Personally (unless you're lucky enough to be in upstairs economy on the A380) I can't tell much difference between the Singapore Airlines 777 & A380 economy cabins. I find both cramped and uncomfortable.

Title
      Liked
      24 times
      Rep
      I have just done this flying to the UK and personally made a huge difference for me more comfort and quieter engines.
      457 > 186 ENS Nomination Submitted 28/05/15 > Approved 22/10/2015
      457 > 186 ENS Application Submitted 29/05/15 > Approved 22/10/2015
      Google Docs Timelines

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast