A380-worth paying extra for?

Mazza227

I have been looking at booking flights tonight for January. I am looking at flying Singapore airlines, and was looking at the difference in flight prices depending on the many times of the day they fly. It seems the flights where the longest flight is the A380 it goes up by just over £700 for the 4 of us, or if we fly the following week then £500 more.

Otherwise it will be the 777, which from what I read is not as roomy.

Hubby just wants the cheapest flight but I'm not so sure!

Any opinions on the planes would be great. I'm a really nervous flyer so would like to be as comfy as we can (I know that's a big ask on such a long flight!!)

I love the A380 - always pleased when I get to travel in one - But if it's cattle class the difference in comfort will be negligible. I'd save the money, get a long stopover in Singapore and check into the Transit hotel overnight if you can time it right - have a sleep, shower and break and then on with your journey!

The plane itself isn't the only factor, the same plane will have different seat sizes and pitch depending on the airline. For a real comparison have a look at the Seatguru website.

We flew with Singapore airlines on an A380 and it was the best economy class I have ever flown, having power at your seat is a big plus and the Singapore airlines service was second to none but the service will be the same regardless of the plane.

Never come across paying extra for the A380 before, however Singapore has 2 configurations for the A380, if you can get the one with the 60 or so economy seats upstairs, then this is the better place to be, though you could well have to pay a little extra for theses seats. Booking direct with the airline gives you the better chance for your choice of seats too.

The four things I look for are - Price, Airline, plane, and timings, and filter things in/out to suit our preferences, we are prepared to pay a little more if the timings are good as we prefer to get there asap and only have stop-overs if making it part of the holiday for a couple of days or so.

Happy & safe travels.

I'd fly the Singapore route on the A380 every time if I could.

Last trip I flew via Dubia with Emirates. The leg between Dubai and London was fine, A380, bit more room, quieter engines. Then spent 13 hours on a 777 that was noticably more cramped, noisier engines and as we were flying at night, more unpleasant to snooze on.

Much prefer the longer leg each way to Singapore, then less time on a 777 to Aus. I don't remember the A380 flights costing that much more compared to other ones tbh. Seems a bit of a price hike.

TBH, its 24 hours travelling. Its not the end of the world if you are uncomfortable or have the noise of the engines. But given a choice, I know what I would opt for ;)

Or do as suggested, go the cheaper flight and have an overnight stop over at the airport at Changi and pay for a room in the transit hotel and have a proper sleep for 8 hours. Then make use of the swimming pool in T1 (easy to get to from other terminals) and have a dip in the open air on the roof (we were swimming at 9pm at night and it was bliss. We always make sure to have at least a 4 hour stopover at Changi so we can swim. Don't ever use the transit hotel though). Then you'll have some time to wander before boarding for the last leg to Aus. So long as your stop over is a good 8 hours plus, longer is fine if you wanted to head into Singapore for one of the tours. Easy to do, just check timings. Some flights have 18-30 hour layovers.

Never come across paying extra for the A380 before

It's probably simply a case that the more popular flights are operated by the A380, and being popular the cheaper fare classes are sold out. For example, with SQ...the SIN-LHR that departs around midnight is one of the busiest flights on the network...it's often sold out or more expensive than the daytime departures.

• Like 1

It's probably simply a case that the more popular flights are operated by the A380, and being popular the cheaper fare classes are sold out. For example, with SQ...the SIN-LHR that departs around midnight is one of the busiest flights on the network...it's often sold out or more expensive than the daytime departures.

I know and understand that, but it is not just because it is the A380 as the OP was saying.

I know and understand that, but it is not just because it is the A380 as the OP was saying.

It makes sense the A380 cheap seats flights sell out quicker. Much nicer way to travel. I'd agree its not just because its the A380.

We booked about 6 months in advance last time we flew Singapore and there really wasn't anything in it price wise. They were all coming in at around the same price regardless over the few week window we wanted to fly out in.

I guess booking closer to departure and also the time of year then lots of flights would book out quicker and those seats then get more expensive.

It makes sense the A380 cheap seats flights sell out quicker. Much nicer way to travel. I'd agree its not just because its the A380.

We booked about 6 months in advance last time we flew Singapore and there really wasn't anything in it price wise. They were all coming in at around the same price regardless over the few week window we wanted to fly out in.

I guess booking closer to departure and also the time of year then lots of flights would book out quicker and those seats then get more expensive.

When we know we are going to travel then I am constantly looking for the deals from as soon as possible, even now though fares are not available yet for when we go next Oct, you get to know what prices are around and when to grab them. A big draw to us is upstairs on the A380 especially the window seats in pairs, first time was by chance with Singapore but once we knew about it then we now really try for it Now done both Singapore and Malaysian A380 twice each and maybe booked these some 9 months prior to travel, always booked direct and got seats at time of booking, if web site was not showing available then we would phone and do the booking by actually speaking to someone over the phone. We also have seat guru web page open just to check on what seats are been offered as we do not want to be next to toilets either but would if that was all that was available upstairs.

Thanks for your replies. Yes I think the reason they are more expensive is that the cheaper seats have already been sold. The flight time is only an hr later than the 777 flight in the morning. Then it's about 15hr stopover, which I guess will be good to get some sleep, have a swim like others have suggested :-)

Just to throw my 2 penneth in.

I found downstairs on the A380 more cramped, claustrophobic and dated. The newest 777 ER's seemed to have more room, felt more airy, the TV and keypad was bigger and newer - just made for a better experience for us and the kids.

Might have been the A380 we were on, but it was the final leg from singapore to london on the way back from our activation trip, but after the new 777 felt a bit disappointing.

On the final trip to come out here at the end of August, made sure it was the 777ER again for both legs, and it was v nice.

I have been looking at booking flights tonight for January. I am looking at flying Singapore airlines, and was looking at the difference in flight prices depending on the many times of the day they fly. It seems the flights where the longest flight is the A380 it goes up by just over £700 for the 4 of us, or if we fly the following week then £500 more.

Otherwise it will be the 777, which from what I read is not as roomy.

Hubby just wants the cheapest flight but I'm not so sure!

Any opinions on the planes would be great. I'm a really nervous flyer so would like to be as comfy as we can (I know that's a big ask on such a long flight!!)

Neither are going to be particularly roomy in economy class. I would chose the 380 route given the option, but no wouldn't be paying £700 purely for it.

when we flew on the 380 cattle class downstairs i recall it being awful.

to put this in context, i always travel with earplugs eye cover and slippers (its the only way ;) )

the thing is the seats. I sleep on my side, i just cannot seem to get comfortable sleeping on my back.

most cattle class seats will allow you to squidge around a bit to get comfy, but these singapore 380 seats just didnt agree with me.

the aircraft is a marvel, but when you travel long haul its all about comfort, good stuff to watch and half decent grub.

this is the only flight i have ever failed to sleep.

I'd try the 777, just for the experience.

just to add, the ear plugs (available from the stewardesses if need be)

eye patch and slippers (or thick socks) and a fleece style jacket with a reasonable collar that can be folded up are well worth it.

in my many flights these are the bare minimum cabin survival kit i would recommend :)

I have found the new seats to be good as they slide forward a little when reclining, though I generally find the half to fully reclined position uncomfortable for me, however if the person in front fully reclines then my knee space ( I am 6ft 2in) almost remains the same.

It is a lot about mind-set when flying long haul, if you look at it has being a long uncomfortable cooped-up journey well I think that is what you will have. I personally enjoy and look forward to the flights, waitress service for food and drink ( I do wish Linda would take note), films and tv to watch, music to listen to, reading material, people to meet and talk to, airports to look around. The flights going to happen so make the most of it I say.

Flew Etihad A380 to Abu Dhabi then a 777 from Abu Dhabi to Sydney last December, the difference was night and day. A380 far quieter / roomy than the 777. Singapore Airlines could be different though!

Well there is a major difference when it comes to the 777.

Etihad - 10 seats per row, same as their A380, but the A380 main cabin is over 2 feet wider!

Emirates - 10 seats per row, same as their A380

Singapore - 9 seats per row

Thanks everyone, well we went for it and booked the cheaper seats on the 777 and 2nd leg A330. Lucky we did, as just looked again and the price has gone up £700 now so same as the 380 flight. Must have got the last cheap seats! Got a 17hr layover so will book the transit hotel and take a swim, may even do one of the free tours if we have the energy!

To add, when I booked, there were no seats showing all together, so I phoned them up, and she sorted it all out straight away and get 4 seats together. So have to say, their customer service from my experience so far has been very good.

Edited by Mazza227

• 1 year later...

Going back in March and have bit the bullet and booked business class with emirates, at 6' 4 I am getting to old to be folded in half for 24 hrs , have flown all over the world over the years and economy is economy although I must admit flying the 380 has been the best experience.

Going back in March and have bit the bullet and booked business class with emirates, at 6' 4 I am getting to old to be folded in half for 24 hrs , have flown all over the world over the years and economy is economy although I must admit flying the 380 has been the best experience.

We did the Melbourne-Glasgow route with Emirates back in August. First leg to Dubai was A380 and the business class was great. The second leg to Glasgow was 777 and the business class was not so luxurious, when the bed was flat my feet felt cramped and I am just a touch under 6 feet.

The free chauffeur pick up and drop off at both ends was really appreciated too.

Enjoy your flights.

Mike