• Homes Down Under
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 25
    1. #11

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Lincolnshire, UK.
      Posts
      43
      Liked
      17 times
      Rep
      Thanks both of you for the insight, it certainly gives us more to think about.

      Status: received 489 visa on 25/02/2016, arrived in Adelaide 26/11/2016

    2. #12

      Title
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      8
      Liked
      5 times
      Rep
      Also in Adelaide, 2 years, young kids at school, bought a house in the Hills, husband very very happy in his job (former NHS) and I'm struggling to know where to start looking for part time work......hmm few similarities here!
      We love it for all the reasons Snifter has said, we get koalas in our garden and cockatoos flying past every evening, how cool is that?! Leaving the comfort zone of friends and familiarity wasn't easy, but was actually way easier for us than I was expecting. The town we live in (Blackwood) is friendly and has a community feel so reminds me of the good bits of the UK, plus local shops and people who want to retain that local vibe. It's been hard starting again to make friends and a support network but I wouldn't move back to the UK in the near future - maybe one day.

    3. #13

      Title
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Here, not there
      Posts
      17,597
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Littlesar70 View Post
      Also in Adelaide, 2 years, young kids at school, bought a house in the Hills, husband very very happy in his job (former NHS) and I'm struggling to know where to start looking for part time work......hmm few similarities here!
      We love it for all the reasons Snifter has said, we get koalas in our garden and cockatoos flying past every evening, how cool is that?! Leaving the comfort zone of friends and familiarity wasn't easy, but was actually way easier for us than I was expecting. The town we live in (Blackwood) is friendly and has a community feel so reminds me of the good bits of the UK, plus local shops and people who want to retain that local vibe. It's been hard starting again to make friends and a support network but I wouldn't move back to the UK in the near future - maybe one day.
      Glad its been a good move for you guys :) Blackwood is lovely (you are not too far from us there as it turns out) and I can imagine you'd see koalas a fair bit around there. Its a lovely area with some great schools and I enjoy the neighbourhood shops. Plus ease of access to Mitcham and its shops, cinema and so on.

      Hoping you've been able to make some friends in the time you've been here. I think that can be the hardest thing. I was lucky to a degree in that hubby being from here we had his family and many of his friends are living here again with their families. We don't see that much of his friends (we all have busy lives) and I didn't strike up proper friendships with any of their partners but we all get on and when we have a BBQ or catch up all together its always nice. I've made a few good friends on my own, one or two English people but mostly Aussies now which has been good. Don't have a bust social life with just them as we all have kids so its usually the kids catching up as well as us

      Are you looking to get back into work after being at home with the kids or is it now you've settled in Aus and are wanting to get out there working? I was a bit of both. I was only working part time in the UK as we had no childcare and I didn't want to pay someone else to look after mine full time when he was smaller, I'd rather have had the time at home with him. Then moving here meant I decided to stop working in my chosen field and to quit it altogether once we left the UK. Sometimes I wonder if that was a good idea but then I remember all the reasons why I don't wish to do it anymore I'd be happy just working in a little shop or something a few days a week, doesn't have to be a career or anything high flying.

    4. #14

      Title
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Here, not there
      Posts
      17,597
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by The Pom Queen View Post
      Wow time has flown, it doesn't seem two minutes since you were back in the UK with your chickens.
      I miss my chickens (more than I care to admit).

      I stopped and had a long chat with the eglu rep at the Adelaide show the other day. A lovely English lady based in Sydney representing/heading up the Eglu company over here. Was rather taken with their new range and am eyeing a plot on one side of the garden for a hen house and run.

    5. #15

      Title
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Here, not there
      Posts
      17,597
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Chortlepuss View Post
      Love, love, love Adelaide - My favourite place in Oz and would have moved there in a shot if there was work for me (IT). Amazed it gets bagged by so many Ozzies - I suspect they've never been there. Doesn't it have a great market for shopping?
      It does indeed. The Central market, fab place. Used to be one of our local haunts when hubby had a place in the CBD a few blocks away from it. Oh those were the days

      I think its a lovely place. Sure some of the suburbs are a bit samey and stepford wives like but there are some great quirky areas, older suburbs with a bit of character and the CBD is lovely surrounded by the botanic gardens.

    6. #16

      Title
      Troll Bait
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Posts
      16,234
      Liked
      16307 times
      Rep
      I like your attitude snifter. You have achieved much in just 2 years, congrats!

      PS: Adelaide's a bit dull IMO
      My Brain Hurts!

    7. #17

      Title
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Here, not there
      Posts
      17,597
      Liked
      10888 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpodom View Post
      I like your attitude snifter. You have achieved much in just 2 years, congrats!

      PS: Adelaide's a bit dull IMO
      Why thank you :)

      Dull? You must have been here during the '.... As Dishwater' festival then :) Only dull and boring people ever rock up for that

      Seriously, its what you make it. Its quieter than some other places for sure but there is always lots going on. Case of bothering to look for it and going along.

    8. #18

      Title
      Troll Bait
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Posts
      16,234
      Liked
      16307 times
      Rep
      Don't get yer knickers in a twist, I was only pulling yer leg!

      Quote Originally Posted by snifter View Post
      Why thank you :)

      Dull? You must have been here during the '.... As Dishwater' festival then :) Only dull and boring people ever rock up for that

      Seriously, its what you make it. Its quieter than some other places for sure but there is always lots going on. Case of bothering to look for it and going along.
      My Brain Hurts!

    9. #19

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      255
      Liked
      189 times
      Rep
      Great update, thanks for sharing :)
      189 visa - Accountant: IELTS Academic sat 31/01/2015, results 13/02/2015 (L: 9 R: 9 W: 9 S: 9) | CPA skills assessment submitted 23/02/2015, positive result 19/03/2015 | EOI lodged 20/03/2015 (65 points), invite 26/03/2015 | Visa lodged 29/03/2015 | UK PCC applied for 31/03/2015, uploaded 20/04/2015 | Medicals 05/05/2015, uploaded 13/05/2015, finalised 14/05/2015 | Grant 15/05/2015!

    10. #20

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Limavady N. Ireland
      Posts
      96
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Hi just saw your post from last year, My wife and two kids hopefully will soon on the move to Adelaide from UK. (she is Australian) what was the primary school you mentioned?

     

  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 13
      Last Post: 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-01-2015, 04:00 AM
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-03-2014, 12:08 PM
    4. 15 Years old, moving to Adelaide
      By Kateh96 in forum Younger Ones
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 20-09-2011, 08:56 PM
    Copyright © 2005 - 2016 PomsInOz.com
    All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.